Why does Tag Heuer put the movement name on the dial of their watches?

I've been wondering why Tag Heuer puts the name of the movement on the watch dial? The movement names are plainly visible: Calibre 16, Calibre 5, Calibre 1887, Heuer 01, etc. The movement name occurs on every watch line from Carrera to Link.

I have not seen this approach with other watch brands. For example, although Omega shows "Co-axial Chronometer" on the dial, it doesn't mention the specific movement (such as the 9300 movement). The same goes for Rolex, Panerai, Breitling, etc. In particular, IWC, like Tag Heuer, produces watches with both in-house and ETA movements, but IWC doesn't put that information on the dial. The only company that does mention the movement seems to be Zenith with their El Primero, but one can make the argument that the El Primero has as much significance as the Zenith brand.

Finally, I especially find it odd that in the latest (2015) refresh of Carrera watches with the Calibre 16, the "Calibre 16" literally gets top billing over "Carrera". That seems backwards to me.

4ce339c8f160c737aa541061992a2b89df3bca17.png

I think part of it is TAG Heuer have a variety of movements that are very similar to look at externally compared to many other brands, you've got quartz 3 handers vs Calibre 5 3 handers, Cal 16 vs Cal 1887 etc. Most people wouldn't know the difference between the 16 and 1887 unless it was written on the dial so its hard to see which is which.

It's also a differentiators within a model line; instead of having for instance Carreras differentiated by colors and sizes, you can distinguish them with the engine.

Just like cars; E class from MB; E200, E300, E350 and so it goes

This all started in 2002, which is the first year that we start to see any changes from the then-new CEO Jean Christophe Babin. 2002 is the year when the Heuer logo is dropped from the Monza and Monaco. It's also the year that we see the new Microtimer and the effort to push the brand up-market with solid gold cases across most models.

We also see the first use of the El Primero movement, is important.

Before 2002, life was simple- if you had a automatic watch, it was an ETA 2892 (later called Calibre 7) and if it was an automatic chronograph, you had a Valjoux/ ETA 7750 (later called Calibre 16). So in these days, TAG Heuer just referred to an automatic movement, but didn't need to specify which one.

But in 2002, when the El Primero arrived, TAG Heuer needed to differentiate between the "basic" Calibre 17 and the high end Calibre 36. There was also a new automatic watch movement used in the Monza- the Calibre 6.

So that's the reason that they started using Calibre numbers. Firstly, because there was now a choice of more than one (!) and secondly because it attached more prestige to the mechanical watches compared to the quartz range that never used Calibre names/ numbers.

And since then, they've just stuck to it!

Thanks for the information. I still don't understand why "Calibre 16" would appear above "Carrera", though. My opinion is that the Carrera name is more important.

I would honestly prefer no "Calibre 16" at all, such as in the older generation CV2010.