Forums Latest Members
  1. McBeardy

McBeardy May 18, 2021

As per the title anyone have some well worn Monacos? Not beat up per se, but ones showing good years of wear and being worn (no safe queens)/ Specifically the Calibre 11 McQueen.

Usually ones I see are pristine, but just curious if like the SpeedyPro do Monacos look better battle worn?

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 19, 2021

Are we talking vintage Heuer Monaco or modern?

My biggest gripe with the well-worn vintage Monacos is when people polish the case (very common). The vintage Monaco has a sharp-edge case..super crisp. A vintage watch with a worn, sharp edged case is far preferable to one that has been rounded off at the polishers wheel.

On the newer TAG Heuer Monaco, what you often see is scratches on the polished surfaces by the lugs

dtf likes this.
  3. McBeardy

McBeardy May 19, 2021

Of course. anything vintage IMHO should be left how it is. I did mean the newer variants

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares May 19, 2021

I think this might be the wrong place asking for beaten up Monacos, most folks around here treat their watches like precious little babies (rightfully so, me included) :D

5. McBeardy

McBeardy May 19, 2021

I get that. Didnt mean beat up like a 'Beater' watch, more in the case of well worn. My BB58 is 2yrs old and shows signs of wear, not babied but equally not beaten

Edited May 19, 2021
    Jim Dollares likes this.
  6. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 May 19, 2021

image.jpg My Monaco is 4 years old now and worn regularly, used to be worn at work, down the pub, was gardening yesterday, and at times under a car bonnet. Although if there was a ‘clunk’ I would maybe remember to take it off.
    It’s like having a sports car and never giving it “ the beans” or keeping it in a garage.

7. kappa_md

kappa_md May 19, 2021

I believe the SMQ Monaco will age well, even if beaten and bruised. All iconic designs still look glorious even at their experienced aged :thumbsup:

I tend to agree in using all my watches and rotating them. It’s a pity if you don’t use them (but probably more so for certain watches depending on the occasion) It’s like saving your collection for someone else to enjoy ;) (unless you plan to sell them later on :eek:)

McBeardy and Jim Dollares like this.
  8. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 19, 2021

This is my very well worn Monaco that I've owned for over 10 years. It has some battle scars. 20191201_100420.jpg

But most of the time, I don't even notice the little nicks and light scratches. Just adds character to this old favorite of mine.
    20191126_201936c.jpg