Waterproof/resistant?

On holiday at the moment in sunny Portugal and wondered how safe it would be to wear my carrera in the pool? It does say 50m on the case but how accurate is that, I seem to remember the ADsaying when I bought it to not to treat it like my divers or other TAG that have screw down crowns. Thanks guys in advance. Martin

Just wondered, already thought I'd misplaced it when I got out the pool yesterday but SWMBO had lifted it out my iPod bag and put it in her bag for safety, didn't think to tell me, LET ME PANIC FOR A MINUTE, bad woman.

One of the reasons I almost always travel with my GMT. It never leaves my wrist!

50m isn't enough to wear in water. Probably ok for washing your hands!

One of the reasons I almost always travel with my GMT. It never leaves my wrist!

Which GMT? I'm looking for a life-proof everyday watch.

Which GMT? I'm looking for a life-proof everyday watch.
Rolex GMT Master-II
Bought new on first release very late 2007 before the prices rocketed. Been my daily beater since.

One point to note, the seals on all water resistant watches deteriorate with time, so before you take a watch swimming whether its a 50M Carrera or a 300M Aquaracer you need to ask yourself are the seals less than two years old and has it been pressure tested in the last year?

If the seals are older than two years they might work or they might not work, there's no guaruntee and the price of the watch has no bearing at all on how long the seals will last, a $30,000 Patek Nautilus and a $150 Seiko Monster both use rubber seals that degrade in the same time frame.

Also if the watch is used in salt water including pools, wash the salt water out of it with fresh water afterwards as the salt can both reduce seal life and cause bezels and bracelets to seize up and wear out.

The WR rating on the dial only applies if the seals are fresh and the above maintenance is carried out.

That is very useful advice, something ADS should tell you when you buy a new watch. I was surfing in my 300m aquaracer when it was at least 5 years old because I didn't realise this, luckily it was still waterproof.

That is very useful advice, something ADS should tell you when you buy a new watch. I was surfing in my 300m aquaracer when it was at least 5 years old because I didn't realise this, luckily it was still waterproof.
ADs rarely know much about specific watch related details, they're most often jewellery stores first and watch dealers second, an actual TAG Heuer boutique will likely have a much more knowledgable staff as they have company training and are only selling watches.

Presumably that goes for any waterproof watch, not just tags?

Presumably that goes for any waterproof watch, not just tags?
Absolutely, applies to them all

Absolutely, applies to them all

100% agree.

There is a reason that the booklet says "water resistant" and not "water proof"! By the way, here are the oifficial TAG Heuer recommendations when it comes to using your watch in water
tableau_FAQ_2.PNG

Did you know that TAG Heuer recommends checking the seals every 12 months? That's how easy it is for your 500m "water resistant" watch to have an issue with its seal and render the whole watch leaky. It's not just TAG Heuer- Omega also recommend every year.

My personal rule is that I never, ever wear any TAG Heuer in the water. That's what G-Shock's are for!