Forums Latest Members
  1. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 9, 2019

As a fan of the '90s era Japanese sports cars (and former owner of a '93 RX-7, bought new back in the day), I've been eagerly awaiting the new Supra. I really wanted to love this car, but I can't say that I really do. I go back and forth on whether I like it or not.

What do you all think of the new Supra? Love it or hate it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Feb 9, 2019
  2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 9, 2019

I share your opinion. I loved the FT-1 concept, but I am disappointed on the final production looks and specs. A few pics of the concept.
    toyota-ft-1-concept-photo-564848-s-986x603.jpg toyota-ft-1-concept-photo-564849-s-986x603.jpg
    2ND-Styling-of-Toyota-FT1-Concept.jpg
    The decrease in dimensions also affected it's presence and appeal to older generations. It now looks like a underpowered compact Toyota 2 seater (even though it's a Z4 underneath), instead of what we all wanted, the rebirth of the legendary Supra.

Mspeedster likes this.
  3. Gambba

Gambba Feb 9, 2019

Agree with you both.

It seems the only Japanese legend that was what the fans wanted was the R35 GTR. The NSX and now the Supra I feel have not captured that spirit of old. The MX-5 on the other hand has stepped things up a notch and proper little machine without so much of the hairdresser within.

Mspeedster likes this.
  4. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 10, 2019

The FT-1 was a bold design and I do applaud Toyota for sticking with the overall look. There's certainly nothing else like it style wise on the road, the FT-1 is pretty wild looking IMHO. Honestly, I wasn't even a fan of the FT-1, my first reaction was: what is this bizarre looking beast?

But I had a chance to visit Toyota City in Odaiba two years ago and the FT-1 styling grew on me when I saw it in person. It was then that I thought I might actually want to buy a new Supra. But the production version doesn't look the same. In addition, the car has many shortcomings & compromises that leave me disappointed and really torn on the car.

IMHO, none of the modern versions of the 90s era cars look as good. The R35 GTR is a mean machine, but I'd take an R34 over it any day based on looks. Agree that the MX-5 Miata is probably the best incarnation of its former self, but that car also has styling elements that I don't like, specifically the headlight design. The RX-8 was another bold design, but just as polarizing as this new Supra, and nowhere close to the beautiful lines of its predecessor RX-7. The new NSX is perhaps the best looking of the current bunch, but its too heavy, too pricey, over tech-ed and really only an NSX in name, but not spirit.

dtf likes this.
  5. Gambba

Gambba Feb 10, 2019

Yep exactly @Mspeedster

R34 all day every day and I love the R32. I think the R35 simply lived up to the performance and tuning ability of old.

I think all of the reiteration are all flawed more than they should be, especially given how much time has lapsed since the previous iterations and the global feedback in that time.

Latest cars of old heritage that really do appear to bring the old into the modern era and do well is the Alpine A110, although I’m sure many can’t get past the bog eyed look.

Mspeedster likes this.
  6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 10, 2019

I will reserve final judgement until I see one in the metal, but just can't get over how much of a let down it is.
    upload_2019-2-10_17-1-21.png
    [​IMG]

dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  7. Yago

Yago Feb 11, 2019

Sports cars these days... if this one was only a tad more skeletonized :cool:
    Maybe they're designed with emerging markets in mind, I don't know.
    The 90s founding fathers are still out there luckily and can usually be had for a fraction of their new offspring.

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 12, 2019

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 13, 2019

10. elbeik

elbeik Feb 16, 2019

It has always been the case with Toyota / Lexus.
    Remember the mighty LFA?
    Production model introduced 10 years after the original concept.
    Their ideas goes into gestation forever.

The GT86, failed to bring back the Trueno.

And now, this thing.

Mspeedster and Hubert like this.
  11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 17, 2019

I quite like the Supra...I do think it looks better than the Z4, which is :(

kappa_md and Mspeedster like this.
  12. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 17, 2019

Yeah, none of these TRD parts do anything to enhance the look IMHO. :mad:
    I was hoping for a more aggressive rear spoiler, similar to that of the Supra MKIV Turbo's "St Louis Arch" like spoiler.

dtf likes this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 17, 2019

Like this from @romanmiah?
    upload_2019-2-17_17-25-12.png

elbeik and Mspeedster like this.
  14. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 17, 2019

Yes indeed, that hits the spot! If only it were real and not photoshop. But probably just a matter of time before the aftermarket comes up with something.

15. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 18, 2019

Yeah, especially the Japanese tuners will produce many different kits.

16. wt_guy

wt_guy Feb 18, 2019

Agreed, it's kind of a disappointment. Weird to me that they made it a 2-seater rather than a 2+2. Loved the old 90's models. I also loved the 80's A70 model which to me is one of the cleanest, best executed exterior auto designs ever. Everything's tucked in, long hood for the I6, beautiful proportions, hidden headlights, and nothing extraneous. The older one designs were definitely more of a GT than a sports car IMO. To me if I were shopping for a current Toyota-made sporty car, I would either go with a GT86 or a Lexus RC.

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 19, 2019

18. abrod520

abrod520 May 19, 2019

With all of the driving impressions coming out, I actually think I might like it. I've no particular regard for the '90s A80, or the looks of this one - but it sounds like they've made a usable, comfortable sports car that can handle its own on a windy road or on a long trip. Owning an S2000, I long for a softer more comfortable car as any destination over an hour away is like pulling teeth - especially if it's a highway or there is any traffic at all. Good on Toyota for allowing room for more extreme tuners to turn it into a track toy; I think it'll benefit the model in the long run

19. elbeik

elbeik May 19, 2019

Did someone mention all the air vents are fake?

20. abrod520

abrod520 May 19, 2019

Not discussed in all the hsyteria: Those "fake" air vents keep drag down (and thus fuel mileage up) for those who just want an everyday sports car. Those who need more cooling can remove those vents and make them functional, instead of having to cut into the bodywork. Rather cool idea if you ask me

kappa_md, dtf and Calibre11 like this.