Forums Latest Members

The TAG Heuer Year in Review- Your 2014 Highlights

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 19, 2014

So, as we get towards the end of the year, what are your reflections on 2014? Inspired by a similar topic over at ΩF, what are your highlights for 2014? Let's tackle in in three parts:

1. The hits: It might be a new watch that you saw, or maybe one that you've bought. Maybe it was an event?
    2. The Misses: Disappointed by something? Miss on on a eBay deal? Regret selling a watch?
    3. Crystal Ball: What are you expecting/ hoping/ predicting for 2015?

Let's keep the TAG Heuer review in this board, and I'll start another one in the Vintage Heuer forum.

So, for me:

1. The Hits
    - Overall, I felt that 2014 was not a vintage year for new models, with a big emphasis on the 3-hand watches...I'm more in the Chronograph camp. Remind yourself of the 2014 collection here
    - The Carrera CH80 was a clear hit with a beautiful clean Panda/ Reverse Panda design. I was lucky enough to see the "production" version of the CH80, and promise you that it was even better...closer to this image we created on the right:
    [​IMG]
    - Of the production watches I liked the Aquaracer Calibre 7 GMT and the Anthracite Carrera Twin Time.
    - Monaco V4 Tourbillon was an amazing piece of technology building on the 10th anniversary of the Monaco V4
    - I didn't buy any new watches in 2014, so nothing new watch to show off :(

2. Misses
    - Unfortunately, just as it was a "hit" the cancellation of the CH80 was a miss. The movement looked too good to be sidelined forever, but you won't see it in 2015.
    - TAG Heuer has been too slow to develop a range of alternative straps, such as NATO straps. They are very much in fashion today, but who knows how long it will last?
    - Internally has been a difficult year with many management changes, which must have disrupted the focus on product. Let's hope for stability in 2015

3. Crystal Ball
    - We know that TAG Heuer will develop its entry level watches more, so expect to see more Formula 1s and Aquaracers
    - In the later part of the year, we'll start to see the design/ product direction of the "new" TAG Heuer under J.C Biver
    - Range will be streamlined- will the Grand Carrera and Link survive?

Over to you!

2. WillMK5

WillMK5 Dec 20, 2014

1. The hits: I bought my first TAG Heuer this year, a Calibre 12 Monaco. I absolutely love it. I also think the V4 Tourbillon is a big hit. Very impressive technology.
    2. The Misses: Obviously the delay/stop of the CH-80 is a miss.
    3. Crystal Ball: I don't really know what to expect. I'm hoping for the CH-01 to be debuted in new dial layouts. I prefer two register chronographs and 3-6-9 layouts. I'm expecting a new Monaco this year. Hoping they don't do anything too drastically.

3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 21, 2014

For me:
    1. The hits: I was able to add these beauties to my collection; and for that I am very grateful: 2014.jpg
    2. Misses: I echo everyone's disappointment on the CH80. I would have liked this "Panda": tag-heuer-carrera-calibre-ch80-chronograph-1.jpg

3. Crystal Ball: The "B" is missing on my Monaco CAW211_Alphabet (A, __, C, D), so this is on my "wish list", before all remaining units are sold.
    caw211b.jpg

I am hoping 2015 brings us for more "Vintage Themed HEUER" models.

george023 likes this.
  4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 22, 2014

Some nice additions there during the year- especially good to see a couple of Monacos. I might have to track down one of those Calibre 11 Monacos in the new year...should have bought one when they were new!

5. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Dec 22, 2014

I missed the change to buy a very new 300SLR for something like £1500.
    kicking myself about that.
    will have to go see if it's still available when I'm back in HK in March.

6. george023

george023 Dec 22, 2014

Nice additions Hubert. Most enviable. Oh how nice that CH 80 pans would've been in most of our collections.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 22, 2014

I've seen a couple of NOS 300SLRs around...but the price is quite high, around £2000-2500.

8. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Dec 23, 2014

funny thing is, I'm not sure I actually any real reason to go to HK in March....
    Maybe I should make more effort to get to Basal instead this time.

dsio and Calibre11 like this.
  9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 23, 2014

Many thanks David and George for your kind comments. Hope everyone enjoys the holidays!

10. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 25, 2014

Basel is certainly worth doing once- but it does take a bit of planning to make it worthwhile. I'll be there!

11. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 25, 2014

I still need to get to Basel eventually, won't be this year sadly but maybe the next, until then I'll have to be satisfied living vicariously through Dave and others

12. george023

george023 Dec 25, 2014

Yes so I will I sadly, but our moderator and others make it enjoyable nonetheless. I too feel that Basel for a watch fan/collector is like doing Augusta for golf fans. I'm one of those too so I've got a few things to tick off eventually!

13. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 26, 2014

Yes, I'll be there for sure. As an event, I'd say its only OK for watch fans- and setting expectations too high means you'll be disappointed. The problem is that it's primarily a trade show. Anyone can get entry into the halls and you can walk up and down the various pavilions...but for most big brands, the best you'll be able to do is look at the new watches through a window or a glass cabinet. The only way to get into the pavilion is to have an appointment with the brand.

It's different for the smaller brands who are in a separate pavilion...generally, they're happy to take the time to show you what they have.

So, not discouraging people to go- it's more that I wish the watch industry did the event better so that collectors could enjoy it. I haven't been to Salon QP, but I suspect that could be a better consumer show than Basel?

dc

14. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Dec 26, 2014

Salon QP is fantastic.
    Not everyone shows up there but those that do, well, it really is all about getting customers and fans to handle and try on watches and in some cases, talk to people you wouldn't otherwise imagine meeting, let alone have a few words with.

My hesitancy with Basel is, as David says, to do with that it is more of a trade show and all you do is look at displays.
    I've always had it in mind that it'd make a great meet-up for forum guys in Europe so that we can take a few watches to "show and tell" in the evening while during the day, we can walk around and talk about what we see.

As a solitary "pilgrimage" of sorts?
    Not so much.

15. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 26, 2014

How hard is it to get by in Basel if you're a complete non-French speaker?

16. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 27, 2014

Actually, Basel is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, but its very easy...I don't speak any German. You just have to get used to the Sausage, Sauerkraut and Beer combinations.

It's probably too late for this year, but I have talked to TAG Heuer about doing a Basel dinner with collectors- the idea would be to do something very informal with some of the Senior TAG Heuer guys and show the watches to the collectors first before the official reveal the next day...

dc

17. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Damn... I'm a vegetarian but I guess I could make up for it with more beer

Calibre11 likes this.
  18. automobilia42

automobilia42 Dec 29, 2014

Time for me to look back at 2014:
    1. The hits: We got ourselves a new home with much more space for working on watches and storage!
    2. The Misses: My visit to Baselworld, to make a long story short, I got an epileptic seizure while I was there on Saturday, it happened of all places right in front of the TAG Heuer stand after I made some pictures. Ended up with a broken hip in the Basel Hospital (Universitaetspital) for a week and went back with the ambulance to The Netherlands to revalidate for half a year.
    In a couple of weeks I will get operated to get rid of a titanium pin that they installed in my leg to heal the broken hip.
    Picture collage from the TAG Heuer stand:
    foto 2.JPG
    3. Crystal Ball: For 2015: Hope to visit Baselworld again, otherwise it will be 2016 for sure, and visit the TAG Heuer stand properly then...
    Baselworld/ Basel offers a great atmosphere, very nice people, wouldn't have missed it for the world!
    I spoke mainly English in the hospital, no problem at all.
    And German (They called it "Hochdeutsch" overthere).

More from Baselworld:
    foto 1.JPG
    foto 3.JPG

george023 likes this.
  19. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 30, 2014

What a story; glad you are near the end of this chapter.

automobilia42 likes this.
  20. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 30, 2014

automobilia42 likes this.