Forums Latest Members
  1. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

TH are going into overdrive to clear out the back catalogue it seems!

2. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

Yep, another ten pieces... they're definitely clearing out the Heuer 01 now.

3. imagwai

imagwai Jul 9, 2020

I guess the problem with being "avant garde" is that bold and fashionable designs can end up looking like last year's model quite quickly. Although it's a nice watch, and it still looks pretty modern, as soon as a new design comes out, the old one has to go into the bargain bin. Rolex are probably the masters at value retention here because they have classic/timeless designs and make few changes to their line-up. When they do, the changes are more incremental, e.g. slightly longer hands on the Explorer :)

Mr_Orange likes this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

Yeah, but that's fine if you prize value retention above all, but Rolex... how boring would it be to be a Rolex enthusiast? I could not do it. The main reason I am drawn to TAG Heuer in the first place is precisely because they make 'modern' watches. I guess you just have to take it as it comes, and it's not like I haven't benefited from the bargain bin, I got my Carrera Calibre 16 at a great price and also my Cal 5 Aquaracer was significantly cheaper (not to mention I couldn't find one anyway).

5. imagwai

imagwai Jul 9, 2020

I don't prize value retention particularly (although it's a nice side benefit). I also quite like the modern watches too, but I guess my point is that they don't have as much longevity when you keep changing the design. Would you disagree that TAG has redesigned the Carrera a little too often? Also, how would you feel about your Cal 16 when the new model came out if you'd paid full RRP and your watch could now be had for half price?

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

Funny you should say that, cos they have the CAR2A1Z Carrera in now that I bought in 2016. Sure, I'm not going to pretend it doesn't bother me a tiny bit and I didn't even pay full price (more than what Bicester are selling it for though!). But - it's a limited thing, they may have 1 or 10, but when they're gone, they're gone. So it doesn't have a long term effect on value. Put it like this, they were selling Monaco 24s for years between £5-6000, but Watchfinder were still selling them at £6500-7000, and still do because it was originally a £10k watch.

I wouldn't disagree about redesigning the Carrera too often, but as I've said before, I'd rather they brought out a new watch (i.e. a new model with a new name) rather than keep rehashing everything. To be honest I don't think the Heuer 01 Carreras look out of date, I still think they look great. I think they could have tweaked the existing models rather than redesigning them, but well... I guess they wanted to freshen it all up. I guess the difference between Rolex and TAG Heuer is that TAG Heuer need to put things in the windows of the boutiques that will draw people in whereas Rolex draw people in by having empty windows - it's a great trick if you can do it!

7. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

I think the general issue - at least in the past few years has been so many watches with the "Carrera" name. They seem to be rationalising the range. But there have been so many variations, that the TH range with that name had more variations than many other brands have models in their entire catalogue. Both confusing and undermines the "value" a £1.5k quarts or a £20k Snake watch with a little wheel going around and around just for shits and giggles. Huge identity crisis IMHO.

imagwai likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

Well, yes the Carrera name is spread way too thin, I mean the freaking Connected is a Carrera! But what else to do? Since they don't want to actually launch a new watch because the whole watch world is obsessed with heritage and nothing can be new, everything has to have a back story, however tenuous. I long for the 90s when watch companies launched brand new watches without looking backwards. Will we ever have a Kirium or an S/EL or a Alter Ego again?

9. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

yes some brave new models would be cool. I always thought that is how they should differentiate the two halves of the brand. Heuer for the old stuff, and Tag for the new stuff. That's a clear marker. No confusion. I'd absolutely love a modern day Kirium. 41mm. But more heft. It was my first ever proper watch and also very sentimental to me. Got one in return for an engagement ring and another on honeymoon. Will never part with those. I'd rather give up the rest of the collection before that. even though I don't actually wear them that often these days.

El Matarife and Aquagraph like this.
  10. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

PS how's the mega-blog-a-thon going?

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

Albert-AMG and THJunkie like this.
  12. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

yes but come on. That's no worse than putting Carrera on a pair of their sun glasses. Nobody thinks either is a watch. ::stirthepot:::p::rimshot::

13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 9, 2020

BBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. THJunkie

THJunkie Jul 9, 2020

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 10, 2020

Me neither, I've never had a a list like this in the last three years I've been posting! Truth be told, I wonder if they even have room to put all these (50) watches out in the store. Considering they already had enough to fill the store before this arrived. And they lost one cabinet because it's got the Zenith's in it now... but I guess the stock will move fairly quickly, new stuff always goes and you end up back with the black/green 500M Aquaracers, Regattas and Calibre 16 Carreras again. The white ladies F1s with diamonds seem to hang around as well, although I think they got so many deliveries of those last year... can't wait for my watches to come back so I can go visit.

16. El Matarife

El Matarife Jul 10, 2020

Keen for part 3! ::popcorn::

17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 10, 2020

Midnight!

Or maybe a little bit before....:cautious:

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 10, 2020

19. El Matarife

El Matarife Jul 10, 2020

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 10, 2020

I know, my credit card finger is itching!