Forums Latest Members
  1. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Dec 2, 2016

Just read that Nico Rosberg will retire from Formula 1! Was quite surprised, I had expected him in further races. Otherwise, what more could he reach for. He is 31 years old an in responsibility for his family. There is still a lot he can do.
    I wish him and his family "Good Luck"!

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 2, 2016

Didn't see that one coming.

I wonder who can get out of their contract first? Red Bull should hope that Vertsappen's deal is 110% watertight

3. imagwai

imagwai Dec 2, 2016

Jenson Button is free?

4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 2, 2016

True.

I'd like to see either a top-tier driver go there, or put in a youngster. If they can't get Verstappen/ Vettel/Alfonso/ Ricciardo, then I'd probably go for Wehrlein

5. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Dec 2, 2016

I'm not sure about the reasons for Nico's decisions. The last months might have cost him a lot of energy. Perhaps he just wants to recover.
    Otherwise, it might be a warning to Mercedes or Red Bull. They have those Hamiltons and Verstappens, who don't understand the rules of the team. I think when Nico noticed that Lewis was out of control, he felt quite lonely. This is not what You need a team for. Therefore it might be difficult to find a second Nico. Of course Mercedes has the dominant car, but if the next pilot knows that he stands alone when things are burning, there might be an alternative.....
    A Point of view that Christian Horner should observe too...

6. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 2, 2016

"Hallo? Mr Alonso? Yah, vee would like to speak vith you quite urgently!"
    (Apologies to our German colleagues for my cliched accent).

7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 2, 2016

8. imagwai

imagwai Dec 2, 2016

I would have retired at 31 given the option.

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 3, 2016

10. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 3, 2016

Hilarious! :D

11. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 3, 2016

Yeah, it's unbelievable. Let's see how this unfolds.
    ::rimshot::

12. imagwai

imagwai Dec 4, 2016

Liked this in the comments
    [​IMG]

WernerBoeinck likes this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 4, 2016

14. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 4, 2016

I really hope Fernando doesn't go, as I'm fairly sure with his luck McLaren will built a monster of a car and Honda will finally get power parity with Mercedes just in time for him to jump into second place.

I'm also sort of hoping Mercedes do get a high end driver, Seb is unlikely as is anyone in Redbull overalls but I think Perez is actually the most likely candidate. We know he has the ability to dump his contract if he wants to as his sponsors were already prepared to buy him out of Force India if he wanted a Williams or Renault drive, which he himself turned down. Hulk and Grosjean are locked in and frankly neither are good enough but Perez I honestly thing is on par with Rosberg and could at least take it to Hamilton in the same hardware given he was able to podium twice in the far more humble Force India this year.

Button if he was willing (and McLaren let him go, as he's contracted for 17/18 to them even though he isn't driving) would be a superb option as he's been proven to work well with Lewis, but he seemed keen to go and is getting well up in age, not to mention was dipping in performance at the end of the year.

Kimi isn't going anywhere, and to be honest Wehrlein I don't rate as much as Ocon, he just didn't convincingly dominate Haryanto as he was expected to, seemed to have trouble matching Ocon (who Force India chose over him given a choice of both) and that crap he pulled with not switching the engine off in the gravel trap when told over and over is the sort of insubordinance that Mercedes has had an absolute gut full at this point out of Hamilton and wouldn't tolerate at all from a rookie.

Perez is IMO the only driver that's gettable who could keep Lewis honest and hold up his end of the constructors championship which is their priority one.

15. Big Adam

Big Adam Dec 5, 2016

You've omitted Bottas from your shortlist.
    Williams is short of money and would have to listen if Mercedes came calling, perhaps with an offer to supply their engines at a lower cost.
    And, most significantly, Toto is part of the Bottas management team so clearly rates him very highly.
    My money is on Bottas.

16. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Dec 5, 2016

I wonder if LH will be in on the selection committee?

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 7, 2016

18. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 7, 2016

I would have thought it was pretty simple. If there is any way that Alonso or Vettel could get out of their contracts, then they would.

I'm not so sure what I'd do if I was Ricciardo and had a way out. History shows that when there is a significant change in rules, as we'll see next year, it tends to shake things up. Given the aero regs for next year, I wouldn't rule out Red Bull being at the head of the pack. On the other hand, it's hard to shake the feeling that while Red Bull really like Ricciardo, they LOVE Max. Would Dan be supported enough to win?

So in summary, I reckon if any of the big guns could wriggle their way out, they would

19. automobilia42

automobilia42 Dec 8, 2016

Nico...::facepalm2::
    :D

20. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2016

I'm checking Autosport like 4 times a day to see if they've poached Nando / Seb / Danny Ric at the moment, wonder how long they'll take?