Forums Latest Members
  1. galwaytt

galwaytt Dec 18, 2014

I'm currently looking for a Monaco Gulf, e.g. the CW211 or CW213 (or similar, there seems to have been so many !!)

I notice some list the crystal as being acrylic, and some say sapphire.

Now, I have a WK1212 as a daily, and it is bombproof, so am a fan of the sapphire crystal - and I'm wondering if the acrylic crystals are 'fragile', or, should it ever need replacing, can you fit a sapphire crystal to and 'acrylic' model - an upgrade, if you were.

2. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

Are you looking at the CAW2113 Gulf? I can't find anything by those three digit references, but as a vintage collector I can say a lot of people like and even prefer acrylic crystals, they're definitely not fragile and are less likely to chip or crack than a sapphire in general from a hard whack, but what they do is scratch. If you get a tube of polywatch you can polish it back up really easily, and even very deep gouges can be polished out by a watchmaker quite quickly and easily (I hit a Speedmaster crystal with a door jam once, watchmaker charged me $20 to get a very deep gouge out).

There's a depth, clarity and warmth you get from plexiglass that's really quite special, and at certain extreme angles the crystal gives this sort of rainbow spectrum effect like when you're looking through a prism. I'm quite a fan :)

It'd be a nice compliment to your WK1212 diver and give that real vintage feel that's rather appropriate of a watch made famous by Steve McQueen

galwaytt likes this.
  3. galwaytt

galwaytt Dec 18, 2014

Thaks dsio - this is coming up as a CW211A : http://www.chrono24.com/en/tagheuer...co--mod158.htm&models=158&manufacturerIds=236

I like your sentiment on the Monaco, so I'm not as bothered as I was. Pricing for these seems all over the shop though. Was hoping to have it in my hand for Christmas Day, but the clock is ticking (sic), as they say....and don't want to have the mother & father of buyers' remorse after !

4. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

Ah gotcha now, the A was the part I was missing, a well known Australian dealer who's also a watchmaker has one for sale (more than the one you're looking at) and its definitely listed as plexiglass on his site so I'd consider that accurate as he would have polished it prior to sale.

It looks like the CAW2113 is the sapphire version from 2014.

The same seller of the one you've found on Chrono24 has it on eBay for a bit more too http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAG-Heuer-M...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item1e961d9101Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Could always make him an offer and see what happens, are you in the UK like him? Might still be possible before Christmas

Incidentally of the two IMO the plexi 2007 one is the cooler of the two for reasons stated in my first post

galwaytt likes this.
  5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 18, 2014

Correct Ash- the first model with the sapphire crystal and larger case is CAW2113:

http://www.calibre11.com/monaco-stripes

This one was launched in 2009 and uses the new Monaco case and movement introduced that year

galwaytt likes this.
  6. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 19, 2014

Ah nice article thanks

7. galwaytt

galwaytt Jan 5, 2015

...fyi, bought a CW211A from an AD via Chrono24, and got it in time for Christmas.

Very happy, I am ! :)

Btw - I'm a little nervous about the winding/date setting - the book that came with it is a tad vague imho - anyone got better details.?

Edited Jan 5, 2015
  8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

Nice! Please post picture/s when you can. I have the CAW211A, CAW211B, CAW211C, CAW211D and love them!

9. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2015

Yea gotta show some pics mate, congrats

10. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 6, 2015

OK, so you have the Calibre 17 model- ETA 2894.

What's your concern on the date setting?