Forums Latest Members

TAG Heuer Connected E2 Modular 45 Screen Burn

1. lordgriff

lordgriff Oct 6, 2020

Morning, my Tag Connected has developed some type of screen burn, meaning you can see the outline of the clock hands (of a face I'm not actually using anymore) when scrolling through the menus etc.

The watch is out warranty, just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and whether anyone thinks Tag might repair for me?

Seems a bit shit given the money I paid for the watch in the first place!

2. Ninja1400

Ninja1400 Oct 6, 2020

I had the same problem but the watch had less than 2 years and the module was replaced in warranty.

3. lordgriff

lordgriff Oct 6, 2020

Shit. Sounds like I'm gonna be in trouble.
    I phoned Tag earlier and whilst the bloke was really helpful and is more than happy to investigate what the issue is, he mentioned anywhere between £300-£500 which is ludicrous.
    The watch is 12 months out of warranty but shouldn't be experiencing issues like this IMO.

Screenshot_20201006-112121.png
  4. lordgriff

lordgriff Oct 6, 2020

Another image here.....I'm totally pissed off about this.
    Was looking to purchase a 2020 model but would need to sell my current watch to contribute towards the costs.
    Looking at the 2nd photo below, I think it is the Red Bull Racing watch face that has caused the issue.

Screenshot_20201006-112458.png Screenshot_20201006-112953.png
  5. Ninja1400

Ninja1400 Oct 6, 2020

Typical OLED burn-in after using a static image for a long time.
    You should have changed the watchface more often and have checked if there was any burn-in before the warranty expired.

6. VRman

VRman Oct 6, 2020

You can try the following:
    1) If using watchmaker app default back to an official TH screen
    2) Power off the watch for a couple of hours 2-3hrs
    3) If the power down doesn't relax the pixels completely then try an app for pixel cycling or a video like this:

Also would interested to see what your screen looks like using the flashlight app

Edited Oct 6, 2020
  7. lordgriff

lordgriff Oct 6, 2020

This in an image using the torch app.
    Will try your suggestions.
    Any other help would be appreciated!

Screenshot_20201006-124545.png
  8. lordgriff

lordgriff Oct 6, 2020

How would I play that video on the watch? Sorry if I'm being dense!

9. El Matarife

El Matarife Oct 6, 2020

OLED screens are beautiful. But screenburn is a thing if the brightness is too high and they are on for too long. LCD is less beautiful but more practical. It's a trade-off of quality for longevity. OLED displays can definitely be replaced, but in the case of the Connected they may be bonded to the sapphire screen, which may be why the cost is so high. I'm not sure that image cycling videos help. They won't undo any damage, that's impossible. But they claim to even out the screen wear, by wearing out the less worn areas some more, so that the damage seems less obvious. Personally I wouldn't use them.

Edited Oct 6, 2020
  10. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Oct 6, 2020

Another forum member had recently the same problem:
    https://forums.calibre11.com/threads/screen-about-to-die.120277/#post-1611708

Were you wearing this Red Bull Racing watch face during some consecutive days? Is it the official TAG Heuer watch face, or is it by the WatchMaker app?

As @Ninja1400 said, I think changing the watch face every day is a good way to avoid this burn-in issue. I use WatchMaker AOD on, changing the watch face every day, and after 2.5 years of intensive use, the screen is OK and with no sign of burn-in at the moment...

Depending on the cost TH ask you to fix the screeen (please inform us if you receive a more precise budget by TH to fix it), maybe you could buy a good used head unit (there are some for sale at eBay, or in our marketplace) like the forum member of the other thread did, or just sell the rest of your Modular 45 per separate parts: lugs, strap, buckle, and charger

BMW Works likes this.
  11. lordgriff

lordgriff Oct 6, 2020

I used the Red Bull face for a long period, never thought about changing it and never received any advice from Tag when purchasing the watch that this should be a regular process I should follow.
    The Red Bull face was an official watchface from the Tag Connected App.
    Will let you know what they quote me for the repair in due course.

BMW Works and Albert-AMG like this.
  12. VRman

VRman Oct 6, 2020

I use 2 apps from appfour the web browser or the wear video tube. Both apps are really slow and battery hogs but for targeted use like this you should be good.
    From your torch pic, it looks like the RB face is causing an issue via ambient mode so we'll see if any change after the extended power down.

13. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Oct 6, 2020

So this long period wearing the same RBR watch face has caused the burn-in issue... Yes, it should be warned in the owner’s manual.

Since I installed the WatchMaker app, I change the watch face very often, usually every day, so before I knew it and by chance, I was doing the right thing to avoid this problem. Later, in this forum, I learned that frequently changing the watch face helps to prevent that from happening to the screen. I’m sorry you learned it too late :unsure:

So it’s not a problem with WatchMaker watch faces. In fact, I think the WatchMaker app helps you change the watch face much more frequently, thanks to the wide variety of watch faces that you can have installed on the watch

Thanks. This will be useful information :thumbsup:

14. kwilcox

kwilcox Oct 19, 2020

This condition suddenly hit my CM41 as well. The watch was fine since I purchased it in 2018 until about a month ago. Screen burn suddenly showed up and has rapidly progressed since then. I only use official Tag watch faces. I sent it to the TH repair center in New Jersey today but fully expect repair = module replacement @ ~4 figures US. Looks like its time to pick up an Apple Watch 6....

15. neowatch

neowatch Oct 20, 2020

Hi, has anyone tried opening the case of a Tag connected 45 to either change a battery or screen etc themselves. There is is video on YouTube of how to change a battery on a connected gen 1, but a gen 2 seems a much bigger task. Does anyone even know what battery the gen 2 takes ?

16. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Oct 21, 2020

I don't think it's possible to change a battery in Gen 1 or Gen 2.
    Gen 3 it definitely is possible but there would be no need to do that yet as the Watch is only new.

17. neowatch

neowatch Oct 21, 2020

You can on a gen 1, seen it done, just screw off back , it’s a bit fiddly as it’s not designed to easily do it but can be done , gen 2 seems more of a sealed unit but I’ve seen pictures of an open one, just not sure how to open it ...

18. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Oct 21, 2020

This is the only picture I have seen of a disassembled Gen2...

C41E842B-460E-41C4-A6B0-AFF5F9A4E148.jpeg

BMW Works likes this.
  19. neowatch

neowatch Oct 21, 2020

Yes same one that I saw, how you get to that point is a very good question . Hehe

20. El Matarife

El Matarife Oct 21, 2020

Possibly heating to melt the glue that sticks the screen to the case. As with smartphone disassembly.

BMW Works likes this.