Tag Heuer Carrera Cal. 16 sustained value

So after being a fan of the brand for a while. I have settled that I really want a Carrera. My favourite design is one of the more sporty variants of the 16 and 1887, ill attach pictures. The 1887 runs more than the 16 and while i would prefer that movement I am concerned with cost here. My questions are what would be a fair purchase price of a Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 of this style. And if I need to sell it would it be perceived that I wouldn't get what I paid/ wouldn't get close to what I paid? I understand Tag is not the best in terms of holding its value but in, say a year, would the cost of this model really depreciate? I am new to the purchasing aspect of Tag Heuer. Any help would greatly be appreciated. tag-heuer-carrera-calibre-16-day-date-automatic-chronograph-100m-43mm-CV2A1R-BA0799.png

If you're worried about depreciation and think you may want to sell in the future, why not pick up a lightly used example? These slightly older Carrera models have probably taken their worst hit already in terms of depreciation. I also personally believe this design to be the best of the "modern" Carreras.

I forget to add I was looking at used examples. Am I correct in thinking then that picking up a preowned carrera now wont further depreciate in a year , two years time? Also have you any idea what a fair price for a preowned one is? Ebay is confusing me.

Nobody can guarantee future prices but as i say, I would think the worst of any depreciation would be from new to used. Used to used is less of a risk financially.

I can't comment on current values, but look at completed listings on eBay (option in the advanced search) to see actual selling prices, or check other used sellers such as those on Chrono24 or a used dealer like watchfinder.co.uk.

A *very* quick search reveals a Cal 16 Carrera on Watchfinder is selling for £2350. So i would probably say look for under £2000 for a decent-ish price on a private sale. But obviously do a bit more extensive research than the 2 mins I spent! :)

In my experience, rarely carrera can depreciate below 50% of its value. Some carrera can really rise up in value. But its a vintage heuer not tag heuer.

But like i said i never see any carrera that falls below 50% of its value.

Most of the second hand market that i know of isn't as sweet as i thought it would be...lets hope anyone never have to sell their watch on urgency, because if they do, even if it was rolex, they need to sell it cheaper to get it moving more quickly. Its all a matter of the timing too i guess. When? you sell it its important and condition is king.

So yeah, that adds up to the screenshot i attached from hodinkee website.

Look at the carrera price and the rolex price. They are from pretty much the same era. And this is not just one anomaly. You can check out the price of carrera in there

Of course that's vintage heuer carrera.

For calibre16 tag heuer we still need to see at least 50 years from now.

Meanwhile hope you enjoy the watch with the best lugs in the history of wristwatch ;)

These are available in abundance everywhere. On ebay, Chrono24, and grey market sellers such as authenticwatches and jomashop.
I suggest you check the later 2 if you want new. You'll be surprised of the good deals available.

The modern Carrera, just like any other modern watch, will depreciate.
Since they are widely available, if you are to consider selling it in the future, a serious discount will be in order.

I forget to add I was looking at used examples. Am I correct in thinking then that picking up a preowned carrera now wont further depreciate in a year , two years time? Also have you any idea what a fair price for a preowned one is? Ebay is confusing me.
Quick advice: buy gold, this is not an investment for you, unless you can forget about the bill for an upcoming service of your used Carrera.

Look at sold listings on eBay - there's an advanced search function you can find.

I would say for a used one, pay no more than US $2500 for an 1887 and no more than US $1500 for a Calibre 16

Any TAG Heuer you buy (barring the Hodinkee Skipper) will depreciate heavily during the time you own it

Any new watch (barring most Rolex models and limited-edition models from other brands) will depreciate moderately to heavily during the time you own it - if you're looking for an investment, take the money and put it into an index fund