Forums Latest Members

TAG Heuer/ Ayrton Senna 25th Anniversary Collection

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 2, 2020

Given this weekend is the anniversary of Senna's death, I went back to look at the two Senna editions launched last last year. I also got in contact with JC Biver about how the Senna deal passed from Hublot back to TAG Heuer.

Senna was my favourite driver, and I still remember hearing that he had died. I have a replica of his helmet in my office, which is a nice memory of what a great driver he was

https://www.calibre11.com/the-tag-heuer-ayrton-senna-25th-anniversary-collection

CAZ2017_BA0647_05_2.jpg

2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 2, 2020

The greatest driver, and an extraordinary human being :thumbsup:

Nice article! And totally agree with this statement:
    07C6E752-D5B7-4520-BB11-C8AE1B919C3F.jpeg

Edited May 2, 2020
    Snowy likes this.
  3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 2, 2020

I never even realized that Hublot had stolen the Senna licensing rights away from TH. It seems unthinkable that any other watchmaker besides TAG Heuer should be associated with Senna. Then again, I used to think the same about McLaren and TH. I guess money talks!

Albert-AMG likes this.
  4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 2, 2020

5. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 2, 2020

6. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange May 2, 2020

Nice write up (as always). I had forgotten how well executed the H02T is.

7. kappa_md

kappa_md May 3, 2020

Great article! Great TH Senna editions also! Inspiration & admiration from the life of F1 Legend Champion Ayrton Senna started for me because of his deep connection with TAG Heuer! What he did to the sport and to his country is unprecedented. He was a national icon, a symbol of hope and national pride. The movie “Senna” helped me understand his immense talent and profound humanity. I’m just glad that TH has continued to share his memory and passion for the young generations to learn & aspire for. I hope one day to add a TH Senna to the collection so as to remember his greatness and devotion. Godspeed champ!
    0C72FDB1-ACC5-41A6-B221-C6521AF2F6E7.jpeg

Albert-AMG likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 3, 2020

Unfortunately it does. But by the same token, did Fangio wear Heuer watches? I don't know, I'm genuinely asking...

9. kappa_md

kappa_md May 3, 2020

Juan Manuel Fangio was Jack Heuer’s idol. I’m not sure if he indeed wore Heuer watches. He is Formula 1’s first legendary champion. And TH/Heuer being part of F1’s fabric, wanted to celebrate a true icon! ;)

This article might help :thumbsup:
    https://tag-heuer.watchonista.com/news/tag-heuer-launches-new-limited-edition-fangio-timepiece

Anthony.R and Albert-AMG like this.
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 3, 2020

'Legend' says Fangio wore a Heuer watch in the 1930s... hardly conclusive.

11. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 3, 2020

kappa_md likes this.
  12. kappa_md

kappa_md May 3, 2020

To me, It doesn’t matter whether he indeed wore a Heuer or not :) Besides, I can’t remember any watch brand celebrating his greatness for that matter (whatever watch he might have worn) It was just befitting by TAG Heuer to do the honors and pay him homage to celebrate his life with commemorative racing chronographs :thumbsup: To me, Heuer/TAG Heuer is almost synonymous to Formula 1 motorsports.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph May 3, 2020

Fair enough, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. It does seem wrong that Senna's name should be whored out to other companies when he is so synonymous with TAG Heuer, I was just trying to establish if Fangio was known for wearing another brand. If he wore a Heuer once in 1930 and then wore Omega for the next 50 years it would be a different story... but I don't know much about Fangio really.

I guess this is the problem with deceased ambassadors, who's to say whether Senna would have liked his Hublot or not? Or indeed whether he would like the new TAG Heuers? I guess he would be happy that it was raising money for his charity... and I guess the license holder (the Senna family) can't be obliged to 'only' work with TAG Heuer if they aren't willing to pay what the family feel is a fair price.

A bit different with the McQueen family as I would imagine that negotiation is rather one sided, but Senna's name is transferable history or not.

kappa_md and Albert-AMG like this.
  14. Albert-AMG

By the way, we are talking about Juan Manuel Fangio (also as a TAG Heuer ambassador) in this post about Ayrton Senna... but it is that both had a great relationship of friendship and mutual admiration :)

77813E01-6DF0-42EE-964A-C9EE806DF3A4.jpeg 0F5B0EE0-6066-461A-94F7-577987E7F5BE.jpeg 135FBA26-FA53-499A-B652-FB665A040C62.jpeg 347D954D-377F-4C69-B448-E7DC9A281528.jpeg 0DEEA0B3-F0C9-407D-B4CD-D71DE61ED07B.jpeg 14507BA9-DB36-49D6-93AE-5E3E7B40B325.jpeg D02BBE8E-54DD-4937-A03B-6BE2689093B3.jpeg

15. kappa_md

kappa_md May 3, 2020

Wow very nice! I didn’t know that :) Thanks for the info sir!

F1 Champs from Latin America! :thumbsup: They were indeed national icons and treasures of their respective countries. Both land of great football also ;)

16. Marcos Alvarenga

Marcos Alvarenga May 3, 2020

Fangio is quite notorious down here in Brazil. People say he is second best after Senna. That’s an useless discussion. Both were above of their time and rivals. Impossible to compare different eras of motorsport.

If someone want to read a biography, I can recommend the one written by Ernesto Rodrigues. It was translated tô English one decade ago. It’s about the man Ayrton was, not the myth.

Calibre11 and Albert-AMG like this.
  17. Albert-AMG

Senna said that Fangio was best driver ever, and Fangio said that Senna was best driver ever :)

Considering the difficulty of comparing F1 drivers from different eras, the different studies -some more scientific than others- and surveys carried out among F1 drivers, team principals, specialized journalists, racing engineers... about who has been the best driver in history, Senna is always the first. There are some differences in the fight for the 2nd and 3rd place, because some put Jim Clark ahead of Fangio and others put Fangio second, and there are also differences in fourth and fifth places... but they all coincide in the first position: Ayrton Senna... with which I totally agree :thumbsup:

Marcos Alvarenga and Calibre11 like this.
  18. Marcos Alvarenga

Marcos Alvarenga May 4, 2020

Have you seen the documentary Netflix premiered about Fangio last month? There's a survey made in UK using statistics. He put Fangio 1st in any situation, even on races in wet conditions. I woud like to see the study and statistical models used. As a doctor and evidence-based enthusiast this sound insteresting to me.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  19. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member May 4, 2020

Not yet, but I’m going to see it! :thumbsup:

However, the cold data or statistics are only part of the evaluation, since it is necessary to take into account how, with which car, and against which rivals these results have been obtained. It is when all this is also taken into account, when Senna is chosen as the best

Just an example: the 1.427 seconds ahead of his team mate Alain Prost, 4 times World Champion, in same car, for the Pole Position in Monaco 1988...

BTW, his S/el is clearly spotted in this video!

Edited May 4, 2020
    Marcos Alvarenga likes this.
  20. Mspeedster

Mspeedster May 4, 2020

I don't disagree with Senna being ranked #1. But I do wonder how much of it has to do with Senna being the most recent of the legendary drivers. Meaning, most of the people who might have witnessed Fangio and Clark first hand (and hence ranked either higher than Senna) are no longer around or didn't get a vote.

From what people used to say, I believe Clark is likely the closest to Senna in raw talent and speed. I tend to think of Fangio as more like the original Schumacher in how he dominated the sport during his era.

Marcos Alvarenga and Albert-AMG like this.