Forums Latest Members

SOLD: Monaco (grey) CAW211B limited edition - 0217/1860

1. ewand

ewand Mar 18, 2019

I had this up for sale last year but it didn't find a new home and I was inclined to keep it. I'm looking to rationalise my collection a bit so time to let this bird fly.

This is a limited-edition Monaco; branded simply "Heuer" - it was produced in 2010/11 to celebrate 150 years of the Heuer brand. There were only 1860 issued watches (as Heuer was formed in 1860...) - see more here.

[​IMG]

It's been worn maybe a dozen times since I had it, and was pristine then - originally bought on Christmas Eve 2015, it came to me from Spain.

[​IMG]

Under a loupe or a macro lens, you may spot some slight signs of wear (annoyingly, some of my photos seem to have a few little bits of fluff that might look like scratches - they're not).

It is numbered 0217 / 1860, and comes with inner/outer box, all papers and the guarantee card completed at sale in 2015. The perforated leather strap & Heuer deployant buckle are in very good condition, and in the time I've had it, I've never worn the watch on that strap (as I have a Corfam type one that I put it on from day 1).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

TAG Heuer released the blue-dialled CAW211A in 2009, a commemorative "Steve McQueen" 40 year anniversary of the Monaco, reminiscent of the original blue Monaco 1133B from 1969.

There was also a grey-dialled 1133G in the early 1970s (see the Hodinkee "Week on the Wrist" article) and this grey-dialled CAW211B is on the same lines - it's a slightly larger case (39mm vs 38mm) when compared with the CAW211A, but the hands are the same and the dial is pretty much the same, albeit a different colour.

[​IMG]

TAG Heuer brought out the production - CAW211P - version of the blue-dialled Steve McQueen watch (branded Heuer again, though with slightly different hands and dial printing) but there has not been a modern grey production version. So; if you want a grey-dialled Monaco (and they are really cool), you either need to drop a fortune on a 1133G or pick up one of these modern limited edition watches.

My asking price is a solid £3,100, including delivery to the UK. PayPal fees and/or international delivery will be at your expense. I'm near London most of the time so can happily do face to face transactions.

To make sure you're happy, if you're in the UK, I'll give you a grace period of a week to return the watch to me for a refund, if for any reason you decide it's not for you.

Though I'm open to offers, this is a very fair price for a watch of this rarity and in this condition and every other one for sale right now is a good bit more money (Ebay, C24, Watchfinder etc).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is looking great on the Corfam strap (not part of the sale);
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is next to its later, non-limited edition brother, the blue & white CAW211P (for which I found a NOS Heuer Silverstone bracelet that it stays on most of the time):
    [​IMG]

and for comparison, here's the CAW211A:
    IMG_8456.JPG
    The CAW211B is a bit like a transitional between the limited edition McQueen watch and the production CAW211P (albeit that the -B has a grey dial...) It features the same case size as the later -P and much of the dial layout is the same (painted surround to date window, 3 divisions between minute markers vs the 4 on the -A) but the Heuer Monaco logo is the same between the -A and -B, but the spacing changed by the time it came to -P. And the hands are the same between -A and -B, but changed on the -P (thinner but longer lume fill - look at the hour hands of the 3 watches above to see the comparison).

Edited Mar 18, 2019
    abrod520 likes this.
  2. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Mar 18, 2019

Nice and good luck with the sale.

I wouldn't compare prices to Watchfinder though. Ever since Richemont bought them, their asking prices have gone up significantly.

ewand likes this.
  3. Tamora4300

Tamora4300 Mar 26, 2019

I've messaged you
    Cheers Gary

ewand likes this.
  4. ewand

ewand Mar 27, 2019

A couple more pics … it's on eBay as well, btw. I'm open to sensible offers though it's not a fire sale...

IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0761.JPG
  5. ewand

ewand Mar 27, 2019

OHPF - thanks for the space!

Calibre11 and Yago like this.
  6. Tamora4300

Tamora4300 Apr 9, 2019

Finally met up with Ewan today to do the deal on this watch. Just want to say what a pleasure it was dealing with him and he certainly knows his stuff.
    Definitely recommend buying from him if he sells other watches.
    Thanks again

IMG_20190409_185549.jpg
  7. ewand

ewand Apr 9, 2019

Cheers Gary, enjoy it (and the other 2!)