Forums Latest Members

Silverstones - time for a reincarnation?

1. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Jan 16, 2023

I'm curious about people's thoughts about Silverstone making a comeback. Of course there was the re-issue in 2010 with the CAMs, but I'm talking about something of a modern heritage model. Possibly a red/burgundy model.

What are your views on Silverstone coming back?

2. imagwai

imagwai Jan 16, 2023

One has to wonder if there are going to be any more heritage models or "re-editions" given the current management at TAG. I guess it's possible they might re-use the name one day for a new carbon, skeleton type thing.

3. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Jan 16, 2023

I do hope a Heritage model line is retained for years to come. Who knows Silverstone and Camaro may come there.

But in general I've not seen Silverstone being discussed, the vintage or reissue or any future wishes. Why is that? The Carreras, Autavias and Momacos are of course widely discussed. Just a genuine curiosity led thought

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jan 16, 2023

Don't worry, once Hodinkee says the Silverstone is cool, everyone will love it and scream for a re-edition.

Personally I have never been a fan, too funky for me.

5. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 16, 2023

Heuer Silverstones are basically “rounded edge Monacos”. Monacos were initially considered a commercial failure after its launch. People in the early 70s didn’t collectively embraced the Heuer Monaco due to its “unusual” design. But Heuer company didn’t want to let a square watch design go so they made its edges and corners rounder and they picked another famous F1 track to name it which is Silverstone.:thumbsup:

I have a blue Silverstone Re-edition Cal11 and is very faithful to the original. It was part of the 150th Annivesarry together with the Heuer Monaco Vintage (CAW211B) referencing the 1133G. It’s a special occasion watch I guess, less sporty than the Monaco due to its same color subdials. I think now that the Monaco is in the main / regular catalog, TAG Heuer might not really introduce another square watch / line in the future, but who knows right? ;)

6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 16, 2023

Because not many people like the Silverstone, and Clay Regazonni isn't cool enough to uplift its image to the public at large. Neither the original or re-edition were big hits in their day.

I agree with @imagwai, more likely TAG Heuer will repurpose the name for an all new Avant Garde design.

imagwai likes this.
  7. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jan 16, 2023

I wouldn’t hold my breath. I’d also seriously doubt that there’s room for it in TH’s line-up next to the Monaco…

Plus doesn’t it wear really big? @kappa_md - What are the dimensions again?

8. kappa_md

kappa_md Jan 16, 2023

It does have a case size at 42mm. It’s not slim either with a Calibre 11 movement. I’m quite used to wearing 39mm-45mm cases depending on the get-up. I just think it’s quite rare even for Heuer/TAG Heuer collectors so it’s a unique piece in the collection. Plus “Silverstone” is a good conversational term/word for both watch & motorsport enthusiasts. Here is my wrist shot sir @paysdoufs :thumbsup:
    353E9700-1C6B-4357-93E2-6D334FA9C09B.jpeg

Yago, HoltzPlatz, Mspeedster and 2 others like this.
  9. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Jan 16, 2023

That's what I was curious about. I remember reading on Calibre 11 about the transition of Monaco to Silverstone in the 70s to soften the blow of the Monaco's case. But I didn't realise the re-edition was not well received either.

Very logical point. Also if the Monza starts becoming a regular feature (even as LEs), there won't be any space for the Silverstone's case shape.

Edited Jan 16, 2023
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 16, 2023

Those Silverstone re-issues were made for the 150th Anniversary of TAG Heuer. So a special re-issue was called for. It's 12 years til we get to the 175th anniversary, I can't really imagine them repeating themselves and as you say people aren't exactly screaming for a re-issue are they?

11. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jan 16, 2023

Maybe the fact that you could get a nice vntage one for what TH would certainly be charging for a re-edition also plays a role...

HoltzPlatz and Mspeedster like this.
  12. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 16, 2023

What I recall is there was praise for it being a faithful re-edition, but perhaps too faithful. I believe the same reason it didn't sell well in the '70s was also the reason for re-edition's lackluster reception - it's rather large and funky looking case.

Also, while the original Silverstone was meant to succeed where the original Monaco hadn't, by the time of the Silverstone's re-edition, the TAG Heuer Monaco had become a big success. Aided no doubt by McQueen's image.

I remember that period well, as I had turned to other brands in the mid-2000s, but was looking to buy a TAG Heuer again circa 2010. There were many cool Monaco releases to consider, the 40th Anniversary Monaco McQueen, its Vintage Grey sibling CAW211B, the Monaco Gulf Vintage Grey and the Monaco 24. Next to all that Monaco goodness, the Silverstone re-issue wasn't anywhere on my wishlist at that time. I wasn't surprised at all that it wasn't a hit.

Beckerman and YG_Rulz like this.
  13. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 16, 2023

Actually a vintage one is probably cheaper given how expensive TAG Heuer's LE watches have become.

paysdoufs likes this.
  14. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Jan 17, 2023

Still searching for an original, and they ain't cheap. So this will have to do for now.
    TAG Heuer Silverstone cam2111fc6259 2.jpg

Jemagloh, Mspeedster and YG_Rulz like this.
  15. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Jan 17, 2023

But I get your point MS

Mspeedster likes this.
  16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 17, 2023

Looks good my friend! The Silverstone certainly has its fans, but it appeals to a certain niche. One needs a fairly large wrist to have it wear well.

HoltzPlatz likes this.
  17. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Jan 17, 2023

Thanks Michael. That's what I'm stuck with, a large wrist. So all these beautiful new glassbox Carreras of late are a sad pass for me. Although I do have a few of Jack Heuer 80th birthday editions in a more acceptable size to keep me somewhat satisfied I suppose. On a more hopeful note for me I have a vintage bordeaux Silverstone on my radar. Aaargh, the price tho.:coffee:

Mspeedster likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 17, 2023

Perhaps the Silverstone looks too 70s to really appeal to new buyers?

19. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jan 17, 2023

Apparently currently available in EU in brown or bordeaux for 5k or 6k plus change (respectively) from a most respectable seller (and TH Forum member). So definitely more interesting price-wise than what TH would charge new…

20. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Jan 17, 2023

I've had this on my wishlist for the longest time, just haven't got the courage to buy a vintage.

Screenshot_20230117_095855_Chrono24.jpg
    thingziliketoo and paysdoufs like this.