Forums Latest Members
  1. GrantK

GrantK May 21, 2015

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue before but last night while doing some light cleaning around the house I noticed that the seconds hand had fallen off my Tag Link. Annoyingly it is only 12 days out of warranty. I understand it is a pretty simple fix but it is still a little annoying.

The only other watch I have seen this on was my dad’s old 1967 Citizen Crystal Date before I had fully restored. Has anyone else had this happen and if so what was your experience in getting it repaired.

20150520_221851.jpg

2. jimmys_pickle69

jimmys_pickle69 May 22, 2015

Yeah hi Grant - i've heard of things like this happening in the past. After having a look into the issue with the seconds hand falling off through comparing about 7 cases over the years it seem like this happens due to one of two conditions:

1. You're time runs out.
    2. You're under the pump.

Any one else had issues of running out of time? Although a small issue, it is quite annoying.

automobilia42 likes this.
  3. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2015

It can happen to any watch, unfortunate but easily fixed, if the watch is fairly new still and its outside of warranty but doesn't need a service, an independent watchmaker will probably sort it out for you for $20-40 or so my guy would do it for free as I'm a good customer.

4. jimmys_pickle69

jimmys_pickle69 May 23, 2015

Yeah it definitely can happen to any watch. I my self have an Omega Moon Side but I always love the Big Bang for its size, its comfort and the feeling it gives me when its on - my wrist that is. It can definitely take a beating - its such a bad boy. The seconds have never fallen off; irrespective of how hard I've beaten it. Sure, if you're a "good" customer you'll always get freebies. Who doesn't want something for free?

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member May 23, 2015

Terrible luck Grant. I always reckon that if something is going to go wrong, it's likely to happen in the first few weeks- but this shows that you can just be unlucky. Agree that it's worth seeing if they will take pity on you given it's only 12 days.

The hands are pressed on (usually manually), so that can become loose.

I'd pull out the crown to stop the hands moving, in case they get stuck on the floating hand and cause more problems.

Good luck

6. GrantK

GrantK May 24, 2015

Thanks guys, yeah I did a bit of research and it doesn’t seem all that uncommon. I will confess that I don’t treat it very kindly as it is kind of my “work horse” watch that I wear around home or it I am doing an activity like camping, fishing, swimming, basically any high risk activities. Up to now I have been very impressed with how well it has performed.

I spoke to the Tag Heuer Flagship store in Brisbane and they would have to send it away to get fixed and quoted a minimum of $130 as they will do a battery change as well which seemed a bit over the top, especially considering it had a battery change last November. I was quoted $65 by my local watch repaired including pressure testing which sounded more reasonable however I wasn’t sure what the going rate was for this kind of repair.

I have already pulled out the crown to stop the movement as I didn’t want the minute hand hitting it and causing possible damage.