Forums Latest Members
  1. mfriend

mfriend Dec 12, 2020

I have never bought on the secondhand market and have a question. I am looking at a watch on Chrono24, how reputable and safe is the process?

thanks in advance..... I am located in Canada if this makes a difference to the buying process

2. imagwai

imagwai Dec 12, 2020

Chrono24 is a platform for sellers. Chrono24 will usually hold the money in Escrow and not release to the seller until you confirm you have received the watch. Always do your due diligence and make sure the seller you are buying from is reputable, though. Ideally they will have the watch in stock and provide good quality photos of the actual watch. That way, you stand the best chance of having a smooth transaction.

3. kappa_md

kappa_md Dec 12, 2020

I have never bought a watch through Chrono24 no matter how enticing the price offer seems to be. I’ve used reputable/known online watch companies like watchbox, crown&caliber, watchfinder etc . with good experience. Like buying all things in eBay, buy not just the item, but also the seller. And I only use PayPal for added security and peace of mind.

I’ve also bought from TH Boutiques and ADs :thumbsup:

4. neowatch

neowatch Dec 12, 2020

I have bought 3 watches from chrono24, highest value 1200 euros. Very happy with the service but check out the seller first. Money transferred via bank account or credit card to escrow account. Seller sends , you check it when received , if happy you instruct them to release funds to the seller.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  5. whats_shakin

whats_shakin Dec 13, 2020

Chrono24 is no different in concept than ebay, other than being dedicated to only watches. They do act as an escrow (so when you pay, the funds aren't released to the seller until you OK it) so you have time to make sure the watch arrives and it's to your liking (authentic, etc). I also have found that prices on C24 are higher than elsewhere; C24 takes a 13% fee, so the prices are higher on C24 than they are on ebay/various forums.

Have bought many legitimate watches via Chrono24, just go with the old adage 'buy the seller'.

Fabrizio likes this.
  6. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Dec 13, 2020

Like others have said, 'buy the seller'.

I would not purchase from an private individual on C24 as you can't really do any background checks.

With dealers, you check them out a bit more. If they have their own web site, see if the watch is listed there too and for what price. give them a call and talk about it or another watch just to sound them out. You can also ask for more specific photographs to be sent to you.

7. mfriend

mfriend Dec 14, 2020

Thanks for all the advice guys.... the watch i was looking at is "local-ish" to me, so i decided to wait it out and if it is still available when travel restrictions are lightened, i will make the drive to the brick and motor shop and get it the old school way.......

8. Yago

Yago Dec 14, 2020

Bought twice on c24 from dealers, happy both times. Often high prices but you can definitely find good deals. Especially with dealers that don’t specialize in Heuer and perhaps got the watch through a trade in. The last one even replaced the plexi with a nos before shipping. Had he made photos that way he probably could have fetched more.