S/EL CG1110 Sub Dials Question...

Looking at some S/ELs on Ebay and I've noticed some of the dials have the subdials printed on the dial (like the chrono Kiriums) and some have visible subdials - yet they have the same number (CG1110-0). Surely they wouldn't make a change that big and not change the number, would they?
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hi Aquagraph,

I use to work for TAG Heuer in their service department. My guess is some of these have had their disks replaced in service. What happens is that when the original dials become unavailable they get replaced by newer versions that are available. This happened on many occasions in my 5 years with them (because of water damage etc).
So you get newer dials with no change in case number.

Hope this answers your query

Hi Aquagraph,

I use to work for TAG Heuer in their service department. My guess is some of these have had their disks replaced in service. What happens is that when the original dials become unavailable they get replaced by newer versions that are available. This happened on many occasions in my 5 years with them (because of water damage etc).
So you get newer dials with no change in case number.

Hope this answers your query

Hi Mark
Oh thank you, that's interesting!
I much prefer the lower style, but I'd rather not get a 'Franken' watch - so I'd best get the catalogues out and see what's what before I buy.

Well... an unexpected answer here, the lower picture it turns out, is the older design and the higher one is the later design (I thought it might be the other way round as the lower design looks cleaner to me)... and they didn't change the catalogue number - both are visible in the catalogues with the number CG1110. So there's the (rather unsatisfactory) answer. Hmmmm.

This isn't completely without precedent as anyone who has ever Googled WAH1110 will know.