Forums Latest Members

Ross Brawn's Return To F1 As Bernie's Successor

1. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2016

This started out as a rumor and there have been plenty about Ross in recent years linking him with every team from Ferrari to Renault to McLaren Honda but for the first time he's not denying it but rather saying he feels ready to come back but not in a team capacity.

It seems like a deal may have been done to see Ross effectively take over Bernies job, or at least half of it acting as F1's 'sporting director', effectively running the sport on the track, technical and competition side, everything Bernie does except the commercial agreement and TV side.

If this does come off I think this could be the best thing to happen to Formula 1 in 20 years, this is the man smart enough, wise enough and tough enough to manage the teams and their competing nonsense and truly give us a decent spectacle and sport to watch. I honestly can't think of one other man who commands the same level of respect in the paddock to take this on.

James Allen:
    https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016...g-boss-of-f1-not-replacing-bernie-ecclestone/

Jalopnik:
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/black...-sporting-boss-of-f1-but-berni-1788467935/amp

Autocar:
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/ross-brawn-tipped-take-over-formula-1

2. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Nov 2, 2016

I agree!

dsio likes this.
  3. Big Adam

Big Adam Nov 2, 2016

Couldn't agree more. Best shot in the arm F1 could have hoped for. Sooner Bernie goes the better!

WernerBoeinck likes this.
  4. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Nov 2, 2016

Some minutes ago I read, that Ross Brown has confirmed "consulting activities" for F1. No contract so far. Let "the brain" return. Nothing better could occur to F1!

5. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2016

If he's confirming that, I'd say he's just being careful not to piss on Bernie's shoes knowing that won't go well for anyone, the whole paddock is saying he's got the gig just about so I'd say Liberty have told him he's the future even if its not official.

6. Tbone

Tbone Nov 3, 2016

"If he's confirming that, I'd say he's just being careful not to piss on Bernie's shoes knowing that won't go well for anyone, the whole paddock is saying he's got the gig just about so I'd say Liberty have told him he's the future even if its not official."

I say someone NEEDS to piss on old Bernie's skids. He's 87years old.....let me repeat that. E-i-g-h-t-y S-e-v-e-n. How many folks do you know at that age operating at %100. We need someone that understands the technology as well as the personalities involved to build something like a real racing formula. Not this artificial situation which is dictated by who manages tire wear most effectively and pure HP's (nothing wrong with HP's- I say dial up the boost and get them to 1000hp again). The cars have to be made physically challenging/difficult to drive and are driven at 10/10ths for the entire race, vs. just a few specific periods. My 2 cents...

Ross Brawn definitely fits the description. Liberty needs to make it work his while to take part and steer the ship!

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 3, 2016

Would be a great coup for Formula 1- and let's face it- for Ross Brawn too. He's too young to have the feet up on the couch.

The speculation is that the top job will be split, with Zak Brown taking over the commercial side. He has just stepped down from his role at CSM Sport & Entertainment, which was seen as the decks being cleared for his new job with Liberty.

I hope that whoever takes over places more value on the traditional circuits and die-hard fans and less emphasis on expanding the calendar to wherever pays the most money.

Pitfitter446 and Tbone like this.
  8. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Nov 4, 2016

I couldn't agree more. The dull and boring modern circuits designed by that same bloke that designs dull and boring circuits need to take a back seat in order for proper racing circuits to reinvigorate interest in the sport.

I haven't watched F1 in about 15 years.

9. Big Adam

Big Adam Nov 4, 2016

Need to be realistic. Liberty aren't coming in as some form of rose-tinted F1 heritage charity. F1 is a massive cash-cow and the races will be held where the money is, so more middle-eastern and possibly Asian races irrespective of whether the grandstands are full or the track is inspiring.
    What Brawn will (hopefully) oversee is and end to the ridiculous tyre situation and a relaxation of the current fuel restrictions. I'd like to see DRS removed to but that may be one hope too many.

10. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2016

This exactly, and being able to end the piss taking by certain teams. The reason Bernie and Max were so good was that the two of them were arguable the most notorious rule benders and at times cheats in the history of the sport, there's a great article about the two of them, Bernie having different weight body panels, Max having a pit board thrown in front of a timing laser, and you need these guys that can understand how the teams play with the rules.

Ross was there at Ferrari, he was there at Brawn with the double diffuser, he set up the Mercedes domination and that knowledge of how to build an unfair advantage he can use to ensure a level and balanced playing field going forward, nobody can pull the "who me?" nonsense on him as he's played that game himself, and recently.

If he can reign that in, preventing Redbull from running away in an aero formula, preventing Mercedes and Ferrari from running away in an engine formula and keeping the egos in check, we could get to see some great racing.