Quick-change straps vs. TAG's new direction?

Amid all the recent discussion of quick-change straps and bracelets, it's important to point out what TAG has done with the Seafarer. This IMO is a major problem and is a terrible choice and I really hope it's not indicative of where TAG plans to go.
Take a look at the new spring bar system they've decided to implement:

IMG_2928.jpeg

IMG_2929.jpeg

IMG_2930.jpeg

These spring bars are completely shoulderless, with only a tiny little opening to access the spring-loaded nubs. The ripped up ends are due to my struggles with removing them with a standard tool - a process that left me with an enormous blister on my thumb!
It's really difficult to imagine what TAG's thinking was with these, especially as the new trend is not only to offer quick-change straps but to sell the alternative choices too, grabbing some of the cash watch nerds spend on straps. This just leaves one question, a resounding WTF?!

That does look problematic.

What happens if they turn whilst fitted? Can I assume that the open elements are rotated each end, so one is always available to use?
Edited:

I'm sure these spring bars are super successful, you just haven't understood them properly.

That does look problematic.

What happens if they turn whilst fitted? Can I assume that the open elements are rotated each end, so one is always available to use?

They most certainly are not, of course.

I think all the digging I did with the spring bar tool managed to turn them, they're not super tight within the rubber strap.

They most certainly are not, of course.

I think all the digging I did with the spring bar tool managed to turn them, they're not super tight within the rubber strap.
I would've given up and lived with the OEM strap at the sight of those ridiculous springbars! :eek: ::facepalm2::

Gotta give you credit for getting it removed. Not sure what kind of tool should be used on those. If there isn't a special tool, I shudder to think of what might happen if one's watch is ever sent in for a service that requires the strap to be removed & reinstalled. :cautious:

You really did a number on the springbars, hope the watch lugs & strap were unscathed in the process.

:eek:

Are these ::censored:: springbars replaceable with the traditional -easily removable- springbars?

WTH, so it's not the lever that has broken but it's designed this way?

There must be a special TAG Heuer tool for removing those pins. Wonder how much it costs.... :cautious:

You'd think they would want to make it easier to change, so they could sell additional straps & bracelets. ::facepalm1::

Definitely going to get the Boutique to remove the strap before I take possession. I don't trust myself to remove this without any damage. To myself or the watch.

Definitely going to get the Boutique to remove the strap before I take possession. I don't trust myself to remove this without any damage. To myself or the watch.
Be sure to ask them to show you the tool, if there's a special one needed. I can't imagine what type of tool would make these springbars anything less than a royal pain.

In looking at the prototype, it seems the springbar used is a more traditional type compared to @abrod520's. ::confused2::
tag-heuer-hodinkee-carrera-seafarer-movement-jpg.jpg

Be sure to ask them to show you the tool, if there's a special one needed. I can't imagine what type of tool would make these springbars anything less than a royal pain.

In looking at the prototype, it seems the springbar used is a more traditional type compared to @abrod520's. ::confused2::
tag-heuer-hodinkee-carrera-seafarer-movement-jpg.jpg
I definitely will ask if there is a special tool needed.

Gotta give you credit for getting it removed. Not sure what kind of tool should be used on those. If there isn't a special tool, I shudder to think of what might happen if one's watch is ever sent in for a service that requires the strap to be removed & reinstalled. :cautious:

You really did a number on the springbars, hope the watch lugs & strap were unscathed in the process.

Not sure if a special tool is required but I'd imagine so, since a regular springbar tool just doesn't work. Fortunately I managed without damaging the watch or strap. Was pretty concerned about it. I did damage myself though :cautious:

I really don't like the OEM rubber. The adjustable clasp is nice but it's just not for me.

:eek:

Are these ::censored:: springbars replaceable with the traditional -easily removable- springbars?

Fortunately yes, the tropic-style strap I put it on has regular quick-change bars and they fit just fine.

WTH, so it's not the lever that has broken but it's designed this way?

Yep. Dumb as hell IMO

I really don't like the OEM rubber. The adjustable clasp is nice but it's just not for me.
I'm curious. Has there ever been an OEM pairing that you liked best as it came right out of the box?

It seems you always change the factory strap or bracelet to something else immediately after getting a new watch, whether it be TAG Heuer or another watch brand. Although I have noticed you'll use an OEM alternative strap or bracelet at times, just not the one originally paired with the watch.

I'm curious. Has there ever been an OEM pairing that you liked best as it came right out of the box?

It seems you always change the factory strap or bracelet to something else immediately after getting a new watch, whether it be TAG Heuer or another watch brand. Although I have noticed you'll use an OEM alternative strap or bracelet at times, just not the one originally paired with the watch.

That's a good question. I'm not sure really, I used to wear my Seamaster Trilogy on the bracelet but that prob doesn't count lol

Usually even if I like the OEM pairing, like on the Dark Side of the Moon, I get ideas for how to improve on it pretty quickly with some fun custom touch. But most of the time when I buy a watch, I've already got ideas for strap pairings I want to try. For instance, I had the blue tropic like a week before the Seafarer came in.

That's a good question. I'm not sure really, I used to wear my Seamaster Trilogy on the bracelet but that prob doesn't count lol

Usually even if I like the OEM pairing, like on the Dark Side of the Moon, I get ideas for how to improve on it pretty quickly with some fun custom touch. But most of the time when I buy a watch, I've already got ideas for strap pairings I want to try. For instance, I had the blue tropic like a week before the Seafarer came in.
I get the same itch to explore finding the ultimate pairing for a watch. Changing straps is part of the fun of this hobby.

But I'll wear it "as is" when new for at least a week or so, to fully experience how it wears as intended by its designers. Even after trying out many options, I often find that I end up liking the original strap combo best or close to best.

I get the same itch to explore finding the ultimate pairing for a watch. Changing straps is part of the fun of this hobby.

But I'll wear it "as is" when new for at least a week or so, to fully experience how it wears as intended by its designers. Even after trying out many options, I often find that I end up liking the original strap combo best or close to best.
I'm same as @abrod520 but I stick to one strap combo preferably from Aaron Bespoke. Only the RG A386 will stay on the OEM strap.

I'm same as @abrod520 but I stick to one strap combo preferably from Aaron Bespoke. Only the RG A386 will stay on the OEM strap.
I usually rotate straps on most of my watches, for fun and variety. But there are several that I feel the original pairing just works best for me and hardly ever change these. Some are never changed.
A few examples:
- The Blue & red rally strap on my 50th Anniversary Monaco '90s LE. It has never been swapped to even try something else.
- The Brown leather strap on my Senna SEL CG1123
- The Black pvd jubilee on my Heuer 1000 Night Diver
- The Oyster bracelet on my Rolex Sub
- The Milanese bracelet on my NTTD Omega Seamaster
- The OG TAG Heuer F1 plastic straps and KITH F1 rubber strap