Forums Latest Members
  1. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Feb 18, 2017

Dear all,

I am new to this super interesting vintage watch world.
    There are couple of questions i want to ask regarding vintage watch. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. Is it okay to use vintage watch as a daily watch ? I dont say daily beater because i work in the office and i am quite fuzzy about protecting my watch. If i know i'll be in labor that might get my watch in contact i take it off. If my wife want to hold my watch hand and she is using bracelet, i switch hand (this annoy her so much). Even if she want to spray perfume near me while i am wearing a watch, i rannnnnnnnnnnnn.

2. Is watch movement better if lets say you use it frequently or use it less or not use it at all. Lets say you use it a week full before you give it a rest for one week and start using it. Is the movement condition will be better than the one that been used day in and day out ?

3. Is a vintage Heuer hard to maintain in general if you want to use it as a daily watch ? Is frequent service required for watch that is already 40 years old (for example)

Thanks in advance

Cheers

2. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2017

It depends largely on what the watch is, whether the movement has parts available and how water resistant it is. If movement parts are unobtainium then you may want to keep it for special occasions, similarly if it has no water resistance at all (assume most vintage watches are in this category) you really, really can't get it wet and ideally don't want to wear it in a humid climate either.

3. elbeik

elbeik Feb 19, 2017

Vintage watches are in general, like vintage cars.
    Beautiful to contemplate, difficult to operate and maintain.

4. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Feb 19, 2017

Well my country is quite humid compare to most europe or america country. For example, if you leave cracker chips outside the bag for half an hour it will be soggy easily

5. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Feb 19, 2017

What vintage heuer you have bro ?

6. elbeik

elbeik Feb 19, 2017

I've sold a couple of Omegas - and actually have one for sale, a Jumbo calibre 265.

For the time being, I am out of vintage watches, except a couple of Vostok Komandirskies from the Soviet era.