Forums Latest Members
  1. Sam881

Sam881 Sep 19, 2020

Hi guys

I recently spotted a Heuer Carrera 73653 and was planning to pull the trigger. However, there are two issues that I am not so sure of, so I thought it would be best to check with the experts in this forum.

One, the "Tachy" on the inner bezel is at one o'clock. However, my understanding is that it should instead be at the three o'clock position.

Two, the lume on the hour markers and the hands do not match. Based on the picture, I do not think they have been relumed but wondering if these could be service hands. Or is it common for patina for the hour markers and hands to be different for this particular reference.

Thanks in advance for any information you could. Just wanted to be sure before deciding whether to get my first vintage Carrera. I have a Montreal, Regetta and Autavia, and I am hoping to expand the family line.

16_010.jpg

Cheers,
    Sam

imagwai likes this.
  2. Redwes25

Redwes25 Sep 19, 2020

Think you are right on tachy point as examples I have seen are at the 3. I am not an expert on that model so would let others speak up.

Also, I will say that dealer is currently trying to sell a Brietling Top Time 810 that is a total franken, which it describes as "excellent condition" so would tread with caution as they would seem to be willing to sell items that are put together.

Edited Sep 19, 2020
  3. Sam881

Sam881 Sep 19, 2020

4. Redwes25

Redwes25 Sep 20, 2020

Sam881 likes this.
  5. Sam881

Sam881 Sep 20, 2020

I see. Thanks for sharing!

6. Yago

Yago Sep 21, 2020

I don't see an immediate issue with this watch. Different lume on hands and hour markers are all too common and not necessarily a red flag. Could very well be these are service hands. Watch appears in original condition but without personal inspection very hard to tell from photos. Light Photoshop touch-ups are very common with dealers. I own a watch that originally came from this dealer and it's clean.
    The Tachy issue is much debated but I'm certainly no expert. I'm sure you can find lots of older posts about this in on OTD. You do see plenty of watches with both Tachy options.
    I would say 4.500 euro is on the high side. But considering claimed original condition and GF with correct end links it's not terribly overpriced imo. Re the GF a few important things to check:
    - full length size as a lot of these won't fit today's bigger wrists and sourcing extra links can be very expensive.
    - ask photos to illustrate stretch.
    - condition of the smallest links that connect to the clasp. Often the metal connector is worn or cracked rendering the whole bracelet useless.

Sam881 and Redwes25 like this.
  7. Sam881

Sam881 Sep 21, 2020

@Yago i agree that the pricing is somewhat reasonable given that it is a serviced watch, with full lume intact and original GF bracelet. I am also willing to overlook the different patina for the hour markers and hands.

The main issue i have is with the tachymeter bezel. After half a day of scouring through the Internet, I only found 3 examples where the Tachy is at 1 o'clock for these first execution 73653 silver dial carrera. Of which, 2 (including this current watch) are from the same seller. So I am a bit apprehensive.

Wondering if you have seen more of the same?

8. Yago

Yago Sep 21, 2020

I'm surprised about the 3 examples. A quick look reveals more than that of the 1st execution. There are also a few on IG. Bonhams auctioned one off a few years back that was evenly faded, including the tachy ring. Lots of mix and matches at Heuer in those days. The 1 o clock tachys were certainly around and used in the 1153 from the first generation, including mine from 1970.
    Perhaps @SteveP can share his 5 cents.

9. Yago

Yago Sep 21, 2020

10. Sam881

Sam881 Sep 21, 2020

@Yago I think I understand what you mean by that there are many samples with Tachy at 1 o'clock. I was looking at the silver dial 73653 not the blue ones (which seem to have more this Tachy at 1 o'clock configuration).

In any case, this makes me more at ease if I were to get the watch. I will ask the seller more about the GF bracelet like you had suggested.

Thanks a bunch!

11. SteveP

SteveP Sep 21, 2020

Hi guys, I think Yago is right in everything he's said. :thumbsup: It COULD be the hands have been relumed but as mentioned, is not uncommon at all to see different aging on them.

I can't help but feel the bezel is original. While it is less common to see it with the later bezel, it is evidently not unheard of...and as the S and N models would have been made concurrently, it is perfectly fair to use the 'N' examples for comparison also I'd say. The serial number is early, but we could speculate that doesn't necessarily mean it was kitted out and released early also. (perhaps.)

Funnily enough, just found one from the same seller-https://www.shucktheoyster.com/heuer-carrera-73653-vintage-chronograph/ Slightly later serial number.

If it was REALLY an issue, the bezels do come up for sale occasionally with or without the plexi attached.....

While I can't speak for the Top Time, I was just saying the other day that I like Shuck the Oyster and the level of detail given on the watches.

As always, please don't rely solely on my word though!

Best, Steve

12. Sam881

Sam881 Sep 21, 2020

Yup. I guess all the buyers have to do their due diligence when buying a vintage piece. Difficult to expect the dealer to be an expert authenticator of the watches since they have so many different brands and models in their store and would not know what all their original factory configuration were.

Yago likes this.
  13. MarkMoss

MarkMoss Sep 25, 2020

The Tachy is simply an age thing, not model-related. The earliest watches had the Tachy wording at 3 but that was maybe for only about 18 months. A Chronomatic dial would have to have Tachy at 3 but a later first execution dial can totally have Tachy at 1 ex-factory.

heuer_carrera and Redwes25 like this.