Forums Latest Members
  1. whitecap

whitecap Oct 1, 2020

Hi to the Calibre 11 TH Pack !
    I try to figure out how precise our TH automatic watches are , over the time.
    My Monaco Calibre 11, bought new 3 years go, is losing 30 seconds per day.
    No big deal if I enjoy the beauty of my watch, but at a certain point, for the price I paid and in timelapse of 3 years I would have expected a better precision. I add that I don't wear it all day long, sometimes it stays a couple of days in its box.
    Thanks for your feedback !

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Oct 1, 2020

http://customer-service.tagheuer.com/en-us/question/what-is-an-automatic-movement-0

YY77 likes this.
  3. El Matarife

El Matarife Oct 1, 2020

I have a different but related question.

How long does it take to fully wind an automatic, and how long does the power reserve last?

I.e. do you actually get the advertised number of hours' reserve? I seem to get about half of what I expect before they stop.

I've only ever had two automatics, so my experience is very limited.

4. YY77

YY77 Oct 1, 2020

My Kirium Chronometer with ETA 2892-A2 lasted 51 hrs (specs said 48 hrs). I tested it after a full service, I did find it difficult to know when it was full (manually winding). The Carrera 360 has the same movement but still haven't tried that yet.

5. whitecap

whitecap Oct 2, 2020

Thanks for the link Hubert. I was wondering if members of the forum here were experiencing the same issue

6. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 2, 2020

Were those automatics with half the power reserve purchased new, or used? If new, did they run shorter right from the start?

In my experience with new watches, the stated power reserve is often outperformed.

How long it takes to fully wind an automatic, is about 50 turns of the crown or a day or so of wear on the wrist. You can also hear a clutch slip when you wind it by hand, it sounds like a small tick after you've wound it up.

7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Oct 2, 2020

Losing 30 seconds a day is a lot to me. Try making sure it has a good wind-up charge, if it's still loses 30 secs a day, it maybe time for servicing.

My oldest Monaco, a Cal 12, is 9 years old. When it was new, it was about +8 secs/day. About 4 years ago I noticed it was losing time, around 30 secs a day. Took it in for service and it was back to about +8 secs again.

Albert-AMG and whitecap like this.
  8. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Oct 4, 2020

I think -30s/day is not normal. Is it maybe magnetized? If not, it may need a service.

This is how my four automatic TH are running. I use watch winders for all four, in order to have them ready to use
    D5464B3B-632E-443F-A0F5-35A786AD0386.jpeg

And -as they have no Tourbillon :D- I find differences in the accuracy whether the watches sit downwards or upwards in my Boxy watch winders, so I put them in the best position for each:

Carrera Calibre 5 Modular 45: +4s/day (downwards)

Carrera Calibre 16 Modular 45: +3.5s/day (downwards)

Monza Calibre 17: -0.4s/day (downwards)

300 SLR Calibre 1887: +3.1s/day (upwards)

9. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Oct 4, 2020

Your mechanical ones keep excellent time Albert :thumbsup:

Albert-AMG likes this.
  10. Albert-AMG

Yes Jim! :) When I bought my first automatic I learned that its precision is much lower than the quartz ones (or than the Connected, of course! :D), so I am happy with the precision that these four have, especially the Monza. But even the Calibre 5, which is the least accurate of them, has a very acceptable accuracy... for an automatic! :thumbsup:

11. whitecap

whitecap Oct 4, 2020

12. whitecap

whitecap Oct 4, 2020

Hi Albert, which watch winder did you buy, or which would you recommend?

13. Albert-AMG

I can recommend you my Boxy (in both versions: for one or two watches, and it exists also for three watches). I’m very happy with it, and with its ratio price/quality :thumbsup:. I bought them by Amazon to a German company

I needed a watch winder with proper angle (not too vertical) to hold my two mechanical modules (for the Connected Modular 45) without straps, and this one has the proper angle.
    FB3A501D-59DB-42B1-AD31-609468885002.jpeg
    And when the Monza and the 300 SLR arrived home, I chose the same watch winder for them because I was very satisfied with it.

It looks very well, and it feels strong. For each watch it has a main switch (ON-OFF) and two selectors to adjust three different rotations, and three different speeds. It can work with batteries (2 big LR 20 for each watch) or with the 110-230V adapter connector (included).

78A5E48C-F09E-47EF-B9C5-753CD21F0871.jpeg
    There’s is also a red led for each watch to show when the batteries need replacement (batteries last 5-6 months)

It has a light sensor to count the rotations, and this way both watches are always returning to the initial/horizontal position when are not rotating. So it’s much better to display the watches, and to control the accuracy of the watch depending on how it sits (upwards or downwards)

This is the one I bought for the two mechanical modules:
    Boxy SATIN CARBON EXPERT 2 PRO SET 2018
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B013JZ3GOO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_IlIEFb6YYJ28N

And later I bought two of these for the Monza and the 300 SLR:
    Boxy SATIN CARBON EXPERT 1 PRO SET 2018
    https://www.amazon.es/dp/B013JZ3E6E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1PSAEb0NRJR07

whitecap likes this.
  14. El Matarife

El Matarife Oct 5, 2020

Should a stopped automatic start ticking again with a bit of winding alone? Just winding doesn't seem to set my Calibre 11 off, it needs a little shake too (i.e. turn the watch upside down and right side up a couple of times). Is this normal?

The watches were purchased new, but have not yet had much use. Maybe they need to be worn-in a little? I've never heard a clutch-slip, but my hearing isn't great having been on the barrier at Motorhead 26 times... (plus other bands of course!) Once fully wound (I think), the crown simply won't turn any further.

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 5, 2020

I found my Dad's old Citizen in a drawer yesterday, don't know how accurate it is, but I shook it once and it started going - it must have been in the drawer for six months... I don't get how it does that.

16. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 5, 2020

These won't do that - I don't actually know of any automatic that will. The clutch slips when it's fully wound, so that the rotor can continue to spin without overwinding it. Not all automatics have an audible click, for instance my JLCs are silent, but any TAG I've had has quite an audible click. (Which I should say I actually prefer, so I know it's fully wound as I wind it)

NGO1 and El Matarife like this.
  17. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 5, 2020

Sounds like it needs a service then - though are you sure you're winding the Cal 11 properly? You'll need to wind it backwards (or upside down, dial up) because of the left-side crown placement.

If you're already doing that, then yes I'd say it needs a service.

El Matarife likes this.
  18. El Matarife

El Matarife Oct 5, 2020

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it's just because I'm a noob and I'm doing things incorrectly :) It would be pretty unlucky for a new automatic (1 year old, barely worn) to need a service - I hope?

19. kappa_md

kappa_md Oct 5, 2020

Saw this guide on winding depending on the Calibre / TH movement. Can’t entirely say it is accurate but might be able to help :thumbsup: (TPD - turns per day)
    A3B04D2E-359B-4A31-BA64-9699E35BB989.jpeg

20. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 5, 2020

That means the rotor is bi-directional (not all are) - but winding via the crown still requires clockwise movement.