Forums Latest Members

Pre Carrera reason scratch in sub dial reason?

1. emilio

emilio Jan 6, 2017

hi all

Bought this Heuer pre carrera 2444 last week and I really enjoy it:

IMG_6277.JPG

As can be seen there is a scratch in the lower subdial from the center to 4 o'clock.

The scratch however has been made with such precision that it has to be made on purpose. Could anyone help me out with the reason for this scratch:

IMG_6284.JPG IMG_6285.JPG

Kmrk and WernerBoeinck like this.
  2. SteveP

SteveP Jan 10, 2017

Nice piece Emilio. I would guess (and it is a guess) that it has had some kind of sun, water or other damage in time, which has taken place while the subdial hand was stationary in that position, causing the line underneath. There has obviously been some kind of deterioration in that particular area so that seems logical enough (to me!). Enjoy it, it has history! Steve

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 10, 2017

Now that's a lovely watch...yes, just something that happens with old watches. Looking at the dial I wonder if someone has tried to clean the surface, which has caused some of the numbers to fade?

Either way, it's a beauty

4. emilio

emilio Jan 15, 2017

That would sound like a logical reason however it's not a radium or sun burn.

It really is a deep scratch..

5. emilio

emilio Jan 15, 2017

That was also my initial thought however I have found some older ads with the same watch for sale. And the numbers were less faded there.

I think during the past the hands in the sub dials were touching the dial. Which really is a shame :-(

However still enjoying the watch but really wondering what the reason for the scratch is..