Forums Latest Members
  1. bueiz75

bueiz75 Oct 12, 2016

Couples days ago I buy a vintage Camaro and I noticed that the case has no reference number between the logs. It is normal.???

Model: Heuer Camaro 45 ref. 9220 NT
    Movement: Valjoux 92

Kind Regards,

JB

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 12, 2016

No...the reference should be there between the lugs. It may have been polished away...or it could be a replacement case.

3. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 13, 2016

I have a 9220 T with a 5-digit serial number, without the reference between the top lugs... Given the wholly unpolished state of the case in general, I doubt it was polished off. Other early Camaros have been documented without model too, so if the OP's Camaro has a 5-digit serial, it's probably fine

4. bueiz75

bueiz75 Oct 13, 2016

Where I can find the serial number?

Best,

JB

5. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 13, 2016

Also gonna get @SteveP to weigh in if he sees this, he's low-key a Camaro guru

6. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 13, 2016

Between the lugs at 6 o'clock

7. bueiz75

bueiz75 Oct 13, 2016

Non..:(

8. bueiz75

bueiz75 Oct 13, 2016

Thx..!!!

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 13, 2016

I agree that there are few "100%" rules with vintage Heuers...but in the normal course, the Camaro case should have the reference number between one set of lugs and the serial between the other set. There are several reasons why it may not be there:
    - Was polished off/ worn away
    - Replacement case (original damaged and replaced by Heuer)
    - "Parts" watch- remember that Heuer also offered the Camaro case to other brands (although even some Zodiac Camaros I've seen have the Heuer numbers between the lugs)

Maybe there are some other reasons why it's not there, but in terms of what's "normal", it's definitely normal to have the serial and ref numbers

10. bueiz75

bueiz75 Oct 13, 2016

Sorry serial number...;)

Best,

JB
    IMG_1706.JPG

Kmrk and Calibre11 like this.
  11. abrod520

abrod520 Oct 14, 2016

I think the model number began appearing sometime around the six-digit serial numbers (well into 1969 or so); most Camaros were made after then and so not only feature 6-digit serial numbers, but the model number between the lugs. This is also seen with later iterations of the first-generation Carrera, which is what leads me to this conclusion.

The OP has posted that this Camaro features a 5-digit serial, in clearly unpolished condition, so I think it's all right.

Calibre11 likes this.
  12. bueiz75

bueiz75 Oct 16, 2016

Thank you for all your comments..!!!!

Best,

JB

13. SteveP

SteveP Oct 19, 2016

Hi JB-thought I'd help if I can! Thanks also to @abrod520 for his flattering introduction! I agree that it seems to be correct. I have researched a lot of Camaros recently and it does seem that a lot of the early examples (with 5 digit serials) such as yours do NOT have the model number. I'm aware of your particular Camaro and it came from a very reliable and knowledgeable seller :) , described as 'original and untouched' condition, which I believe. Again, this just underlines it as one of the examples with no model number. I would say enjoy it and don't worry too much about the missing model number-you are not alone!
    Best,
    Steve

bueiz75 and abrod520 like this.
  14. Tbone

Tbone Oct 24, 2016

@SteveP - I'm looking for a Camaro and was wondering if you had any dealer or seller suggestions? Anyone you know that may have a selection for sale? I'm looking for a reverse panda, 7220....and not having much luck!

15. SteveP

SteveP Oct 25, 2016

Hi Tbone-nice Jag, firstly! I don't think there are any dealers who have a significant stock of Camaros, they tend to be sold when one comes along at a time. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by listing these but you could keep an eye on chronotrader http://chronocentric.com/forums/chronotrader/ as they come up from time to time, Andee at http://www.rarebirds.de/ has had a lot over the last few years-all in top condition, you could also keep an eye on Abel Court's website http://heuertime.com/index.php?lang=eng&p=sale&sub=sale_products&cat=timepieces as he has had some lovely examples occasionally too. Finally, there's also this little place I know called Ebay-where there happens to be one currently-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332008533213?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Please note I am not affiliated with any of the above and cannot vouch for the authenticity or condition of any pieces listed/sold by them-disclaimer over!

Hope that helps and make sure to post some pics if you get one! (ps I'd love the serial number too when you get one :) )
    Steve

Calibre11 likes this.
  16. Tbone

Tbone Oct 26, 2016

Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated. Yes, the Jag is great except it's quite nerve racking driving it around the city. Here is a link to the detail work done to the motor, if your interested in classic cars--- http://owenauto.ca/tag/1e31166/

Kmrk, SteveP and Big Adam like this.
  17. Kmrk

Kmrk Oct 28, 2016

Beautiful restoration. Enjoy!

18. Tbone

Tbone Oct 29, 2016

Thanks @Kmrk - Unfortunately, it's difficult to really enjoy, which to me ,comes from spirited driving. It runs incredibly well with only 65k orig miles but it's simply to nice to drive very often so hence sits in a de-humidified garage most of the time ...