Forums Latest Members
  1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 26, 2014

So this happened at Le Mans, on June 11 (2014) and it's made me wonder...
    http://blog.tagheuer.com/tag-heuer-makes-history-le-mans/

The Monaco presented to Mr. Dempsey during the event appears to be a "40th Anniversary McQueen Monaco" (caw211a), however the box is generic and not the one that came with that model, whet it was released in 2009.
    [​IMG]

When you look at the recent photographs, this vintage reedition is what Mr. Dempsey has been wearing on the company events. The picture doesn't have good resolution, but notice the crown is not visible, since it's on the left, thus this he's wearing the Calibre 11.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So the question becomes, was this a reissue, or a company "reserve" of the caw211a for the brand's new ambassador?

Or could this be a "preview" of another Vintage-HEUER special edition of the Monaco "McQueen" Calibre 11 that is yet to be released?

Thoughts?

Edited Nov 26, 2014
    Calibre11 likes this.
  2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 27, 2014

Yes, I think you're right that it's a 40th Anniversary Monaco in the box
    Dempsey-Biver-Monaco.jpg
    Crown on the left, black sub-dial hands and what looks like the Heuer only logo
    The day that the partnership was launched, I reckon Dempsey had on the Black-dial Calibre 12 Monaco:
    Patrick_Dempsey 2.jpg
    The black dial model is the only one with "Calibre 12" in red and the red sub-dial hands.

And your other photo? Yes, I agree: it's the 40th anniversary Monaco from the box
    Senna_Nasr_Dempsey.jpg

Will see if we can get some official confirmation....good spotting!

Edited Nov 27, 2014
    automobilia42 likes this.
  3. TAG Heuer

TAG Heuer Nov 27, 2014

Hi Hubert,

Patrick Dempsey is a huge fan of Steve McQueen and of course wanted the same Monaco as McQueen in Le Mans. This was not possible, so we lent him a prototype of the 2009 limited edition, a piece that is not numbered.

Calibre11 likes this.
  4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 27, 2014

Thanks for clarification! Mystery solved.

WernerBoeinck likes this.