Forums Latest Members

Ownership Experiences- 2017 TAG Heuer Connected E2 Modular 45

1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 19, 2017

Shevagol and jmagla like this.
  2. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 20, 2017

Also a new owner of a new Tag Heuer Connected Modular (black ceramic bezel, titanium body, black rubber band) ... and new to this forum... here's a somewhat long recount of my experiences so far.

I bought it online from Macy's of all places -- ordered on Wednesday, had it in hand on Friday.

I am a power user of mobile computing (I run the Boston Mobile Experience user group at MIT ... formerly Bospdaug... we meet the 3rd Tuesday of each month in Cambridge at MIT 3-133 at 7pm... which is tomorrow )

... have owned the first two Pebbles, an original Moto 360, Moto 360 v2, Asus Zenwatch 2, in October a Nixon Mission ... but I always had lust in my heart for the original Connected -- the only thing that stopped me was when I saw it in person I didn't like the screen resolution and the plastic back of the original ... and some worries... would Tag continue on with this product?

Pulled the trigger on this one almost immediately (Heuer site on Tuesday said '28 days' ... found Macy's the next day).

Quality is just astounding, the first Connected was the most comfortable to wear smartwatch I'd every tried on ... this is no different.

Setup was a little shaky -- I was stuck forever in 'checking for updates' first try -- (Android user, Hwawei Mate 9)

I am also having shorter battery life, (expecting 9-10 hrs today, yesterday 8 ish... today -- on at 6:30am @100%, currently 18%, approx 2hrs left ... Nixon Mission on the other wrist at the same start time currently 68%, approx 17hrs left, which is normal) Not doing too much out of the ordinary with the Tag.

Android wear battery stats are telling me 'Android System' is 47% of my battery drain (3% on the Mission) ... which leads me to believe this is a software issue of some kind ...

Ended up doing a hard reset twice over the weekend, thinking it could help with this issue... and for the second one wiping and reinstalling Android Wear as well first ... yesterday let the watch run down to 0% before charging fully to 100% (doing that again today)

My only other issue has been getting my Amex card working on Android Pay (although have a Mastercard working ... and have used it successfully about 5 times ... only fails a small fruit store with a 'Square' payment system, and a soda vending machine) ... I spoke to Amex, they were blocking, but undid that and still can't add the AMEX, now asking Google what's up)

I expect the battery issue to shake out (I still suspect software, but we'll see) and fit an finish is quite good (some of the tag supplied watchfaces do not look as good to me as many harvested online compatible with Watchmaker ... but for now I have been running the stock faces, current favorites are the 'interactive themes' and Classic GMT)

I think at some point I will purchase a leather band too -- but want to see them in person before deciding.

Glad to have found this resource!

IMG_20170320_145151.jpg
    2thVet, erich77, dtf and 2 others like this.
  3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 20, 2017

Welcome! Excellent post.

I also tried Android Pay with AMEX without success. During the keynote David Singleton from Google said that Android Pay would be "included in the first update" (go to minute 30:05).

So I would assume that "update" may come next week, given that JCB said OG Connected owners would automatically receive the AW 2.0 at the end of the month.

4. dc42

dc42 Mar 20, 2017

Yes we were suspecting the software. Mine has run today for just over 12 hours and has 36% left so 18 hrs should be ok. I'm fine with that, I'm asleep for the rest.

5. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 20, 2017

Thanks -- I am sure we will figure it all out ... anyone in the Boston area is welcome to come to our meeting tomorrow night (If you're at all familiar with MIT 3-133 is just off the infinite corridor, building 3 is just off the righthand side if you're walking in from Mass Ave.

6. Hubert

Here's what the native Android Wear Battery Manager shows for mine, after a full charge completed around noon.
    upload_2017-3-20_13-58-21.png

7. icwhatudidthere

icwhatudidthere Mar 20, 2017

Just an FYI, I was able to add my Amex to my watch from day one, after doing all the various updates that were available. Just tested it at the vending machine and it worked fine. It's a Platinum, so I'm not sure if there's a difference between their charge cards and their credit cards.

8. Hubert

I have the same card. It is added to my phone, but not on the watch. What updates did you get? A full OS update? In what country are you located?

EDIT: I just tried it again and now it worked! The AMEX card now visible on the watch and ready to pay.

9. icwhatudidthere

icwhatudidthere Mar 20, 2017

I'm in the US. I had an update to Android Wear on the watch and had to install Android Pay from the watch Play store, but no OS update.

Current versions:

Android Wear: 2.0.0.149356742
    Google Play services: 10.2.98 (570-146496160)
    Android OS: 7.1.1

10. Hubert

Thanks; I am running the same. But as I pointed out above ^, my Android Pay is now working.
    upload_2017-3-20_14-56-16.png

11. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 20, 2017

I've got exactly those same versions on my device...(my amex is a platinum as well) battery just died, almost 11 hours, so an improvement over the weekend.

My first Moto 360 had to be 'calibrated' (run to zero, charge to 100% without using) ... so trying that here too. (Charging fast, up to 44% already)

Screenshot_20170320-173225.png

12. RickGM

RickGM Mar 20, 2017

Massively disappointed with what's being posted. Surely Tag should have got battery issues sorted; my Moto 360 (original version) performed better yet battery was always an issue for me. If Tizen o/s can provide 4 days on the Gear S3 what have Tag got so wrong?
    Add to that, the unfathomable decision to not have a speaker, a watch that I've been waiting months for is rapidly falling off my radar. The modular bit has little appeal for me - it's good to be able to switch straps but that's about all and could readily be achieved with standard 22mm fixings.
    Having said that, the THCM 45 is without doubt the most attractive smart watch by a mile.

13. Shevagol

Shevagol Mar 20, 2017

Haha this remind me when i first bought my Connected last year, comparing each aspect with Apple Watch. Being an iOS user, the Tag lose from every aspect. But it (Tag) looks damn good on your wrist and get people noticed about your watch (well what's the point of investing in higher priced smartwatch brand if you dont want it to be noticed, right?).

Am still a happy Tag Connected owner, as what matter for me in a smartwatch is call/text notifications. I love my iPhone so much that i do most of my things with it.

14. Hubert

Yes, for me the appearance (physical + watch-faces) is the most important aspect, followed by notifications, and finally simple voice commands. After that, most "secondary actions" on such limited screen real-estate tend to be counter productive. So for those cases, I use the phone.

dtf likes this.
  15. Hubert

I will try the "battery calibration" as well. Hopefully this will help.

For reference here's an old "battery calibration post" taken from Reddit:

16. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 20, 2017

Just off charge to 100%... tried adding the AMEX again... and it finally worked!

17. Hubert

Great; so three successes so far. Just remember that if you remove the "Screen lock" Android Pay will automatically "remove your card", so you would need to add it again. It's a bit of a hassle to enter a PIN on such a small screen. The "pattern" is the better choice, but both throw the ability to do instant voice recognition. Guess Credit Card companies want to ensure people don't have easy ways of disputing charges claiming they were not the ones doing them.

msimhamb likes this.
  18. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 20, 2017

All that being said, did not need to do a calibration for the 2nd gen Moto 360, nor the more recent Nixon Mission, which has always been stellar, I don't even think about battery (it was about 50% after the same day when I swapped it for the Tag just off charger)

This is certainly a product that Tag cares about, so this will be addressed, whether by software update, or customer service I am quite sure.

19. gnc1000

gnc1000 Mar 20, 2017

Oh yes, I know (found that out over weekend through trial and error, led to my 2nd full reset to start from a fresh setup)

20. dc42

dc42 Mar 21, 2017

Ditto