Forums Latest Members

OT: The struggles of McLaren-Honda

1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 10, 2017

Yes, this is all starting to take shape. Whatever Alonso decides to do, I sure hope he has a chance to prove himself again, in order to retire with his head high.

WernerBoeinck likes this.
  2. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Sep 10, 2017

$100 will be a big hole in the budget to replace more so due their current form?

3. erich77

erich77 Sep 10, 2017

Alonso, of course it's frustrating to see - similar feelings for Max but I don't blame it on the power unit there

would like to see Alonso happy in a competitive car - really thought Max would have been a regular on the podium

loving the tight points race for the championship between Lewis and Seb - Ferrari seems the fastest by a just a bit

4. MRC

MRC Sep 10, 2017

Some people are harder on the machinery than others. In the days of Hewland gearboxes it was said that one World Champion would regularly finish a race with ruined dog-rings but as long as the car finished nothing would be said about it. If the car didn't finish then plenty would be said. Another example, Graham Hill -- tyres last one race, Jim Clark on the same tyres they last four races.

Singapore next. Tight and twisty seems to mean Ferrari....

erich77 likes this.
  5. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Sep 12, 2017

Finally it happens! The divorce of McLaren and Honda should take place during the next days, Honda will go to Toro Rosso.
    So Alonso can stay with McLaren!

6. MRC

MRC Sep 12, 2017

erich77 and WernerBoeinck like this.
  7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Sep 12, 2017

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/12...nally-call-it-quits/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-3
    Surprise! McLaren and Honda finally call it quits

8. MRC

MRC Sep 17, 2017

Well!

imagwai and erich77 like this.
  9. imagwai

imagwai Sep 17, 2017

Alonso had a great start. For a few seconds.

erich77 likes this.
  10. MRC

MRC Sep 17, 2017

Fernando Alonso (DNF, Engine): "My start was brilliant. The car did an amazing launch and I managed to gain several positions, up to third place, but after that we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wasn't aware of what was happening on the inside, all I know is that at Turn One some cars crashed and hit us. In that situation, you are just a passenger, there's nothing you can do. Unfortunately, that hit was too much for our car. From the cockpit you don't understand how much damage there is, but the car didn't feel great, it had a lot of oversteer so I asked the team what was the damage but they were not completely sure because they'd lost the telemetry. At the end, we had some electrical problems and we had to stop."

He had been doing an outstanding job all weekend IMO. Shame that.

These driver/team quotes almost alternate between "great result" and "I'm unhappy":
    http://www.grandprix.com/race/r970sunquotes.html

Hubert and erich77 like this.
  11. erich77

erich77 Sep 17, 2017

I was thinking that Max might have a good race as he does great in the rain but oops big crash..

12. MRC

MRC Sep 17, 2017

I was working in Nederland when his dad "Jos the Boss" made his F1 debut and the great excitement there, so I'm very pleased to see Max's progress. Shades of "Mad Ronald".

Seeing Ronnie through the old Woodcote was a heart in mouth moment, as was Senna at Paddock Hill Bend -- I thought he'd clear the fence and land on the M20!

erich77 likes this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Oct 20, 2017

erich77 likes this.