Forums Latest Members
  1. dtf

dtf Mar 9, 2015

So whats the opinion on the Apple (not i)Watch? $17k for a watch that you will throw away in 3 years time? Any takers?

I was flicking through the cheaper options and was comparing the pricing of a few models its a $400USD difference between the 42mm Watch with a sports strap and the 42mm Watch with stainless bracelet - any ideas what a TAG bracelet, say for a Link or Aquaracer would run to?

2. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 9, 2015

The bracelet itself, no watch (link bracelet) is $449 which is a lot more than you typically would pay for a TAG Heuer bracelet, not sure how this is all going to work out for them but I'll probably be buying a steel one on link bracelet just because I'm a bit of a tosser.

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 14, 2015

I'm not a big fan of the Apple Watch, but maybe not for the reasons you'd expect- in short, I am a big believer in the concept, but I think the Apple Watch is poorly executed.

For me the major usability issues are the fact that it needs to be tethered to a phone for many of its features and the battery issues. The battery on the watch lasts for 18 hours- and who knows how much it will drain from your phone as you enjoy these 18 hours. I can't get through a day at the moment with my iPhone 6...this will almost certainly make things worse.

Stand by for a brace of smart watches at Basel next week- people I spoke to in Switzerland last week expect around 20 brands to have some sort of smart watch offer. Some won't have a screen (maybe Swatch), some will be a strap (like the Montblanc) and some will be full-blown smart watch like the Apple. Let's see who can produce the most compelling format.

For me, I would like either a. a full blown independent Apple Watch with at least 4 days battery or b. a watch strap/ buckle/ other that captures information while I am wearing a mechanical watch and then transmits that back to a phone.

...anyway, I've gone off topic! You'll be able to buy a bracelet for less than Apple are charging, especially if you are happy to raid eBay!

4. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Nov 24, 2021

5. dtf

dtf Nov 24, 2021

I'd forgotten about this thread, the market voted on the expensive apple watches pretty quick.