Forums Latest Members

New Post: From the Vault: The Unreleased Second-Generation TAG Heuer Grand Carrera

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jun 7, 2020

THJunkie, Yago, Remo and 6 others like this.
  2. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jun 7, 2020

Nice, I'm off to read that now.

3. kappa_md

kappa_md Jun 7, 2020

I remember watching an interview of JC Biver removing the “Grand Carrera” so as to consolidate the model lineup and make the Carrera as the flagship model of TAG Heuer. After that, we’ve seen the Carrera in the Heritage, Connected, Tourbillon and also in the regular movement versions.

4. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jun 7, 2020

So good that you get these scoops, @Calibre11, awesome read!!

5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 7, 2020

Wow, what a scoop! Nice one David, looks really nice as well... now how about a post on the Grand Monaco? All I can tell you is they made a prototype but they never progressed it any further. Here's a pic I took of it (with permission) in the factory... (unfortunately the lights reflected on the 'Grand' text on the dial, how typical is that!)
    grand monaco 2.JPG

6. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jun 7, 2020

Nice read, thanks for sharing stuff from behind the scenes with us :)

For me personally it was no loss that Grand Carrera was discontinued, never been a fan of the whole "grand" something (and similar) that some companies do.

Maybe the line would have been more succesful if they would have had the balls to make it a new line with a brand new name. Nother example of watch brands having to stick to their "history" and we see that Tag has not learnt that lesson, the new "Autavia" being the latest example.

kappa_md and Aquagraph like this.
  7. imagwai

imagwai Jun 7, 2020

That Monaco looks like one of those terrible eBay fakes

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 7, 2020

Well it was only a prototype...

9. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Jun 7, 2020

Nice job David
    Great read.
    Thank you

10. Remo

Remo Jun 7, 2020

I think this would really grade up the 3 hand watches. Do you think this is still developed right now? Or was it the Heuer 03 XT / Defy Lab?

11. El Matarife

El Matarife Jun 7, 2020

Perhaps some of those Ebay tragedies were actually priceless prototypes?! :eek:

dtf, Yago and Jim Dollares like this.
  12. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jun 7, 2020

Agree! Would certainly gain Tag a lot of respect in the nerd commumity.

Wonder though if the general, non nerd, Tag customer cares about it? Maybe profits are better sticking with cheap off the shelf Sellita?

13. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jun 7, 2020

Would you like to pay more for your 3-hand watches though?

There might be room for both similar to the way they have the Calibre 16 and the 1887/Heuer 01/Heuer 02.

Remo likes this.
  14. THJunkie

THJunkie Jun 7, 2020

i feel the opposite. I think the GC line offered a build quality that is simply not there with much of the rest of the line. Can’t say I particularly cared for some of the deigns - but the CG36RS is the best finish on any of the TH/H that I own. So as a concept that works for me. But maybe it stretched the Carrera brand too much? I’d probably be inclined to spend the $ or £ on a new GC more so than current ‘bling’ larger (non heritage design Carreras) - which to me are like a poor man’s Hublot.

Of all the watches I own, that GC has the smoothest sweeping seconds of any - which I guess is down to the Zenith Movement beat rate.

i love many if the heritage Heuer designs - but apart from a few exceptions in the modern large Carrera range I’m left underwhelmed by Tag’s offerings. The exceptions being the more limited and niche examples like the Carrera Nanograph or TdV.

Great article on the history. Shame about the ‘bullseye’ ending (Older Brits will get the joke reference’.

edit added a few pic For fun

A6C5D1C0-7860-4168-807E-60D6454DD96C.jpeg 6C1DBC4A-DB82-435C-AF13-8A92A33B33C6.jpeg
    Edited Jun 8, 2020
    dtf likes this.
  15. THJunkie

THJunkie Jun 7, 2020

what was the ‘timing’ of this interview? I’d not be surprised if it was around the time he was sculpting Hublot into his vision for the brand. It would make sense to ‘cap’ the innovation and build quality at TH to prevent it crowding out Hublot.

16. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jun 7, 2020

I hear you loud and clear.

17. kappa_md

kappa_md Jun 7, 2020

Yup. I’m trying to find the video interview. But i’m pretty sure JC Biver said that there should only be “Carrera” and not “Grand Carrera”. Probably others who remember can help out. I think it was one of DC’s interview with JC Biver. Please correct me if I’m wrong. But probably the reason why the “Grand Carrera” line was discontinued. IMHO I do agree with this. A “Grand Carrera” will be very different and without any heritage or connection from the past.

https://forums.calibre11.com/thread...he-tag-heuer-grand-carrera.63528/#post-795164

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 8, 2020

I remember that interview, he said something like 'You cannot say Carrera is the best and then have a 'Grand' Carrera... it doesn't make sense'.

But I also remember him saying the GC was coming back and it was assumed it would be with the new vibrating movement.

Jim Dollares and kappa_md like this.
  19. kappa_md

kappa_md Jun 8, 2020

I’ve watched a dozen interviews with JC Biver! I like what DC & Time+Tide did with their interview. They “fragmented” it to several short clips and focusing on a certain question or topic per vid. That way you won’t get bored with a long interview ;)

JC Biver has such a dynamic & spirited personality but with a very deep & thorough understanding of the Swiss watchmaking world :D In a way he has a certain charisma as a figure/leader. Might not agree with all of his decisions (eg alec monopoloy CR7 etc :eek:) but he surely made waves in the watch industry. :p

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jun 8, 2020

How can you get bored with a long interview with JCB? I guess the TL:DR generation would...

kappa_md likes this.