Forums Latest Members

New or (recently) used Monaco – any advice?

1. OnTheSuperFly

OnTheSuperFly Aug 16, 2021

I'm a noobie here, long been fascinated by the Monaco and ready to take the plunge.

So do:
    1. Go brand new,
    2. Go for one of several 2017/19/20 verified models available on the used market?

Are there any differences to be aware of from 2015 onwards?
    Buying used will save me about £1000

I should also point out that I'm 80% set for the Calibre 11 but a little torn in the direction of the Calibre 12.
    Decisions, decisions... thoughts?

*Apologies if this question should be elsewhere – this is a huge forum!*

Edited Aug 16, 2021
  2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 16, 2021

If you can find a used one in great condition with proper papers and box, thats what I would do.

About differences I am not entirely sure I understand your question correctly, there have been quite a few different Monaco versions released since 2015. If you mean specifically if the CAW211P has changed in any way I don't think so, maybe the movement has changed from an ETA to a Sellita, which really isn't much to worry about, you don't buy a Monaco for the movement you buy it for the design and feeling of it.

Obviously you have seen and read all excellent coverage here already https://www.calibre11.com/model/tag-heuer/tag-heuer-monaco/

About c11 or 12 it is just a matter of taste. Either you like the better looking and obviously cooler C11 versions or you prefer the not so perfect C12 versions. There is no negative or benefits about one more than the other.

Looking forward to see the photos once you go for it!

McBeardy likes this.
  3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 16, 2021

Nobody here is going to tell you to get the Calibre 12, and the only reason for that is Steve McQueen. If you like the crown on the correct side of the watch get the Calibre 12, otherwise...

OnTheSuperFly likes this.
  4. OnTheSuperFly

:D
    No, the crown on the left is one of the things I love most about it.
    Recently discovered the CAW211X 90s edition... passed me by at the time.
    Really like the strap on that one. Not sure it'd have the lasting power of the CAW211P – I've had my eye on that for 20 years!

Remo likes this.
  5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 16, 2021

If you love the crown on the left then get a Calibre11, don't compromise.

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 16, 2021

CAW211X is very cool indeed.... but probably not for someone who doesn't already own a more 'classic' looking Monaco. As you say, it might not have the staying power.

Welcome to the forum by the way, nice to have you here.

7. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Aug 16, 2021

I'm quite biased, but I'm a firm believer that a Monaco should ALWAYS have a left-hand crown. It's one of the features of the original that made it so special, and it's something that makes it super unique, even today. Square watches are not super common. Square watches that are chronographs are pretty rare. But a square watch that is a chronograph AND has its winding crown at 9-o'clock is completely unique. You see that combo, basically anywhere, and you know you're looking at a Calibre 11 (or early C12 on the vintage ones) Monaco.

While I know there were plenty of right-hand crown Monacos in the 70s, too, the left-hand crown versions are the definitive Monaco designs, and the right-hand crown versions just feel like of lazy, to me.

When it comes to the blue McQueen (CAW211P), which was introduced in 2015, it is my assumption that little to nothing has changed on it over the 6 years of production.

I too have wanted a Monaco for 20 years, and always ONLY wanted one like Steve McQueen wore. That it was actually a really horoligically significant watch when it was launched in 1969 only confirmed that the modern Calibre 11 blue McQueen was the right call. It has ALL the character of the original, but with a modern, reliable movement and can easily be worn every day. If a left-hand crown Monaco has always been what you've been after, don't settle. That LHC is one of the most interesting aspects of the design, in my opinion.

I've now had mine for about a month and a half, and you can reach my impressions, of the first month of ownership here: https://forums.calibre11.com/threads/monaco-caw211p-one-month-in.134093/

8. OnTheSuperFly

Yes – I'm not likely to be getting two anytime soon, but I do like the idea of customising CAW211P with blue strap of a CAW211X as suggested by @MonacoMike!

9. OnTheSuperFly

Thanks man, I'd already come across your post (which was really helpful) and I love the alternative strap you got – that is my ideal set up!

10. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Aug 16, 2021

Thanks! Funny enough, I haven't ever put that strap on the watch, yet. It's just in my safe, haha. The photo is someone else's.

11. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Aug 17, 2021

Oh, and I only have one high-end watch, this Monaco, so when it came to deciding whether to buy new from an AD, or buy grey market/used, I had no thoughts, I wanted new, from an AD. It's taken me 20 years to get this watch, so for me, I wanted the AD experience. For those of you with many watches, perhaps this sentiment has worn off, but given it was my first high-end watch (and likely my only for awhile), I wanted to go AD. Having a factory warranty by going that route was an added bonus.

I might consider going other routes for other, lesser watches, but when it comes to the big ones, I'd prefer to go through an AD.

OnTheSuperFly and Jim Dollares like this.
  12. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Aug 17, 2021

I bought mine almost new, it was ordered then tried on and then rejected, I was lucky to call and enquire just at the right day, I aimed to own one from the first time I had viewed it in a Jeweller’s, just took me a while to get my hands on one, a bit like my car, 7 years from the first launch to being in a position to get one as a toy/second car, neither are going anywhere soon.

Edited Aug 21, 2021
  13. OnTheSuperFly

OnTheSuperFly Aug 18, 2021

I've been looking on Watchfinder which I'm told is reputable?
    The local AD to me is Goldsmiths Dundee... it's hardly Tiffany's New York!
    I'll be happy enough with the watch on my wrist as long as it has its authentication and a warranty and saving £1000 is a bonus!

However, if anyone is going to tell me that Watchfinder should be raising alarm bells I'm all ears...

14. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 18, 2021

WF are good used them before to purchase my Panerai, and now looking to sell it back to them. Just make sure you check the watch over thoroughly, haggle a bit on the price (I managed to get £250 saving when I bought my Pam) also make sure the correct box - others with more knowledge than me can let you know if its the brown or blue box the Monaco comes in.

Try Goldsmiths see if the can do you a deal on the new one also - worth asking. Also SwissWatchesDirect - online grey seller i believe have good savings on new ones. (Apologies if not allowed to post here).

I'm still in the wait for one - house renovation and new car incoming means I'll have to wait. But like Monaco Mike and yourself I too want to go down the blue McQueen and blue strap - but I also like the new bracelet also.

Good luck on the hunt.

15. OnTheSuperFly

OnTheSuperFly Aug 18, 2021

Thanks man, that's really helpful.
    I had considered going back to Goldsmiths to say I'd found second hand and see what they did. It comes with a display watch winder too (but not worth £1000)!
    The box shown looks black to me...?!

16. kappa_md

kappa_md Aug 18, 2021

For the Heuer Monaco, the correct side of the crown is the left ;) #destro

For the TAG Heuer Monaco, it will always be on the right :thumbsup:

Used or new, it will depend on the condition and your budget. As long as it is authentic, you can’t go wrong either way :)

You’ll never go wrong with a Monaco ::rimshot::

17. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Aug 18, 2021

I believe the box is the one thing that has changed over the years for CAW211P. It's currently a brown faux-leather with an embossed Heuer logo, but I believe it was blue with a red Heuer logo at one point. Looks like 2015-17 had the blue box and 2018 to present has had the brown one.

18. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Aug 19, 2021

We need someone non UK to organise a group buy on that new bracelet, the price quoted to me in UK by Goldsmiths is stupid to prices I saw quoted elsewhere.

19. OnTheSuperFly

OnTheSuperFly Aug 19, 2021

Well, if things go to plan and I get a Monaco I'm in for that order..!

20. McBeardy

McBeardy Aug 19, 2021

Think it was mentioned £500 max to me when I was discussing prices with Tag Bluewater, which for OEM I didn't think was that bad