Forums Latest Members
  1. Kuby

Kuby Jan 7, 2015

In a way of an introduction I thought I would share the reason as to why I collect watches. Mine is not a unique collection and could never be said to be perfect, for what is? An article in the Forbes magazine in March 2003, describes the appeal of a fine wristwatch that goes well beyond mere time telling. ‘Strapped snugly on the left or the right, watches speak of class, taste, functionality and, of course, punctuality. With incredibly sophisticated movements, mechanical watches are like a high-performance automobile without all the parking hassles. They are one of the few fashion accessories that reveal a man’s personal style’. I believe it’s more than just style, it’s also about who we are.

I guess my watch odyssey began at my paternal grandfather’s funeral. I was sat next to my uncle and for some unexplained reason I was drawn to his enthusiasm that was ‘all about watches’. I remember the watch he wore, an Omega Seamaster and bore the jewellers name. Later I learnt this was where my uncle served his apprenticeship as a watchmaker. The year was 1964 and I was seven years old. A week later a Timex arrived by post and my mum said it had been sent to me by my uncle.

Friends at school were never particularly interested in watches and it certainly was not fashionable to wear a watch. I for one saved my hard earned pennies to buy a watch. At 16 years of age with a part time job flipping burgers and still at school I would travel regularly into town in search of a watch. Convinced that the Seiko 7548 was the way to go I bought one for £30. It was the first watch that I felt looked ‘cool’ and that I could afford. I wore my Seiko everyday for two years, unfortunately one night my home was burgled and my watch stolen.

I have always been fascinated with the mechanics of a watch but it was the sports models that caught my imagination first. Sean Connery’s Rolex Submariner 3536/1 on a NATO did look special. However, in the late 70’s I began to take notice of F1 racing and the emergence of team sponsorship. In 1971 Ferrari signed a deal with Heuer making them the first watch brand to sponsor a F1 team and their drivers. I was so tempted by the Heuer Autavia, automatic chronograph, Calibre 1163 but in 1979 a deposit on a house was my priority.

I continued to save for many years and I would only buy very cheap functional watches, in fact they numbered over fifteen, which I still have safely boxed. None have any financial value but all are equally cherished with their many happy memories. I can honestly say that I am a proud owner of a Micky Mouse watch. I never made my watch obsession known except to my wife. My knowledge and the intricacies of watches is limited therefore I do not profess to be an expert nor will I ever be. Much has been learnt from books, magazines, the Internet and following dedicated watch forums.

I am reminded of a story that a watchmaker told me of an old women who appeared at his workshop with her late husbands Breguet. It was still in its original box accompanied by hand written papers. It had never been worn, how sad is that? My collection was to be enjoyed and worn. With this in mind, in the late 90s, I began to research watch brands and found myself again being drawn to an Autavia. My passion for cars and F1 remains with me to this day and I still enjoy my ‘weekend’ 5.7 V8. Today my collection amounts to fifty watches and includes Copernicus, Gerlach, Christopher Ward, Omega, Rolex and TAG Heuer. In addition, I enjoy several vintage watches including IPI Watch Co and Marc Nicolet.

So what brings me here? It's a new forum, I like TAG Heuer and I'm a watch enthusiast. I'm thinking let's give it a go and see if I fit in.

2. WernerBoeinck

WernerBoeinck Jan 7, 2015

Hello Kuby,

there seem to be some resemblences: In 1964 I was 8 years
    old. I still have my watch from that time. I was (and I am still)
    interested in motor racing.
    I still daily enjoy my 2,0 boxer engine (not to be compared
    with a 5,7, but in Germany things are a bit smaller). It has done
    210.000 kilometers. A friend of mine told me, this
    might be 'a good beginning'.

I came to TagHeuer at our wedding, with a Kirium Ladies
    and a chronometre.

But, what it is all about: You have found the right place!

Greetings
    Werner

Roamingkosten vor dem Aus?

3. Kuby

Kuby Jan 7, 2015

Hi Werner

Thank you for your reply, I'm certainly looking forward to learning more about the forum and its inmates. Not forgetting improving my knowledge of TAG Heuer and that of other brands as my collection is best described 'eclectic'.

Kuby

4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

Kuby, thanks for taking the time to tell us your wonderful story! As you say, it's all about meaning and passion. Of course, none of us needs a watch, but the ones that are the most special to me are the ones with meaning...not the ones with the highest price tag!

The other thing that I have learned over the years is that there is no such thing as a single expert who knows everything, although some like to hold themselves out this way ;) That's the beauty of forums- we can all share knowledge and opinions.

I think you'll fit in just fine ;)

dc

5. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

Fine story, welcome! Motor racing heritage, along with a strong influence by someone who was into watches in our formative years, seems to be a common pattern.

6. Kuby

Kuby Jan 8, 2015

Thank you for the welcome, indeed cars and watches seem to be synonymous with collectors. I'm looking forward to contributing to the forum and at the same time learning more about watches in general.

7. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 8, 2015

Agree. This is how I learned of the TAG Heuer brand
    19880828MRP019.jpg

8. Kuby

Kuby Jan 8, 2015

My first recollection of Heuer as a watch brand was as an 11 year boy. I remember reading that someone was being paid to wear a watch, unheard of at the time.

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 9, 2015

For me it was a friend from college, who was of German heritage, who had received one as a gift from his parents. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and a year later, I was lucky enough to get my first - as a graduation gift. Still have it, which looks and runs great!