Forums Latest Members
  1. tictictictoc

tictictictoc Dec 11, 2014

Just discovered the Calibre 11 forums as I was browsing the web... so thought I'd pop in and say hello and share my story!

Ever since I've known of vintage Heuers I've always drooled over the Monza. I know there are more desirable pieces in the vintage Heuer realm but this one just does it for me. Me being a devoted tifosi and it's F1 connection only adds to its appeal. My_Monza_03.JPG My_Monza_04.JPG

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 11, 2014

Hi Tictictictoc,

Welcome and thanks for posting- sweet original Monza...looks untouched. Where did you find it?

dc

3. step_hent

step_hent Dec 11, 2014

That's a really stunning piece - beautiful even wear on the PVD and the aged lume on the dial and hands looks perfect too. Fantastic find. Look forward to hearing the story of how you got it!

4. tictictictoc

D.C and step_hent, thanks for your kind remarks. You guys called it... it's in lovely original condition with even patina in the markers and hands and smooth PVD. However there is just a bit of pitting on the side between the pushers and the crystal had to be replaced due to the heavy damage it had when I received it.

D.C to answer your question I found it on the best and in some instances worst place to buy vintage watches... ebay IMHO!!!

Here is the scoop ;)
    The Monza don't generally come up for sale too often but every time they do they are watched like prey by hawks. In the past I bid on a couple but quite frankly they went well beyond what I was prepared to pay. So when this one came along I was determined to make it mine. This time I had a few things going for me firstly, damaged crystal and secondly the watch was not it working order and finally there was a reserve. Now I knew the non runner was a gamble but I was confident my watchmaker could fix it. With a few minutes remaining on the clock I was set to bid... CLICK... I made my offer and then 5 sec... 4 sec... 3 sec I was totally excited and PUFF I lost it within the last 3 seconds. Out bid by 5 bucks I couldn't believe it. But here was light at the end of the tunnel... the reserve was not met... So immediately I contacted the seller and made him an offer and/or offered to match his reserve. For my luck my offer and his reserve were spot on. But I only learn't of this when the seller contacted me a few day later because the fellow who out bid me was not prepared to pay the reserve. The rest is history... received the watch and almost immediately sent it away for some TLC. Moral of the story... persistence pays off.

I have owned and enjoyed it for little over a year and this will be in my 'never letting it go' collection ;) Here are a couple of more pics for your viewing pleasure.

Monza_03.jpg Monza_04.jpg Monza_05.jpg

george023 and Calibre11 like this.
  5. scottonfourth

scottonfourth Dec 11, 2014

Love that suede nato on your monza- where did you source? I have a Monza and will happily steal this look from you!

6. step_hent

step_hent Dec 11, 2014

Stunning pictures and a real beauty of a piece. A good hunt for a great watch often makes the piece itself more enjoyable, I think - if this one had been easier to find, you might not appreciate it as much! Thanks for sharing a great story and an awesome watch.

7. tictictictoc

8. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Dec 13, 2014

There's still good deals to be had on eBay- like yours!

What I don't understand is why they don't introduce a rule that says the auction ends say 1 minute after the last bid- to get rid of the problem of sniping. You see some auctions that last for a week and all the action is in the last 30 seconds, which kind of wastes everyone's time, and I'm not sure it produces a better result for either buyers or sellers

9. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 13, 2014

It also sucks a bit for us Australians as most of the watch sales are in the US and Europe and end while we're asleep. Half a dozen times now I've overslept an eBay auction...

10. ICONO

ICONO Dec 14, 2014

Absolutely stunning Monza !!! - Top marks for persistence

Entirely understand, agree & empathise with the 'never letting it go' comment.

Sometimes there is an emotional bond created by the sheer design beauty of the watch, that is unbreakable

Attached is my recently acquired '67 cal.321 145.012 Speedmaster - Advertised on Italian eBay, with poor photography, virtually no description, & no bids.

Swift follow up & ( with guidance from me ) better imagery of case & open caseback / movement - I was lucky enough to persuade the Seller to accept an offer

There are still interesting watches to be found with due diligence.

023.jpg

11. tictictictoc

tictictictoc Dec 15, 2014

Thanks ICONO,
    Nice Speedy... its a great feeling when taking a chance pays off!
    A 69 Speedy is on my list next!

12. tictictictoc

tictictictoc Jan 13, 2015

During the holidays I wore my Monza on a more festive strap... haven't changed it since ;)

Monza_NewStrap.jpg Monza_NewStrap_02.jpg

13. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 14, 2015

Looks great! Reminds me of the Burgundy Silverstone

2658.jpg