Forums Latest Members
  1. jacinabox

jacinabox May 21, 2021

Recently I had my heart set on Monza Cal 36 with a white dial, so off to search the usual sites and there wasn't too much around - didn't fancy paying a large chunk in VAT to bring one into the UK from the rest of the world, so my search was a bit limited.

Had a pleasant surprise when a WTB from another forum, offered up a nice looking Cal 36 with a white dial, boxed but no papers. Wasn't looking for an inflated price, so that was top of my list.

At the same time a Monza, supposedly a Cal36 black dial and a Monaco were sent up for me to view via a pawn broker. A couple of days ago I had the call to come and take a look; firstly the Monza was a standard version, not the the Cal36, cue me getting mildly grumpy and lots of apologies from the shop staff. Little matter, the white dial was top of my list but it did give me the opportunity to try a Monza. I'd never handled or worn one, but did I get a surprise when I put it on - it wore so small!

The Monaco was a CW2111 which is about 38mm, the same as the Monza...I just couldn't get over the percieved size between the two when strapped to my wrist. I'm happy with how the Monaco's wear and for the last twenty or so years all my watches have been 42mm upwards, Panerai Black Seal and the 45mm Omega PO were the largest and I have to admit those two were on the "too big" side. The Monaco's I own feel really comfortable to wear and I don't feel I'm wearing, IMO, a watch that is too big on flattish, near 7" wrists

I actually feel quite sad about the Monza feeling almost 'dainty' (no offence to Monza owners!) and I'm in a quandry about what to do. Even getting to the point of thinking / hoping the white dial may wear a lttle bigger - clutching at straws perhaps, but is that a possibility?
    I even went to have a second viewing this morning and remain just as conflicted with the Monza size <sniff>

In the daftness and obsession that is this watch hobby, I'm so tempted to go for it and hope it grows on me (or I shrink into it!)
    Really don't want to buy something that I'll regret - heart and head are having a real battle.

Ultimately my decision, but your thoughts would be appreciated :)

2. imagwai

imagwai May 21, 2021

Smaller watches are more understated, that's a fact. But there's no such thing as too small really, whereas there clearly is a biological upper limit to the size of a watch that any particular person can wear. So in the end it comes down to what you are most comfortable with and want from a watch. Most people find they get used to smaller sizes after a while, though.

White dials will stand out slightly more I think, and hence have more wrist presence. Will it wear larger? If it does, it's a because of that.

I always have half an eye on the lookout for a reasonably-priced white dial Cal 36 Monza - but for me it's because of the fact it would wear well on my smaller 6.75" wrist, and because I don't like anything to gaudy or showy. The Cal 36 movement also makes it worth having just because of that.

jacinabox likes this.
  3. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 May 21, 2021

I like the white Monza and it would need to appear very small for me to reject it, unfortunately 2 minutes try on in a shop is not usually enough time to get a settled impression, any wrist pics?

jacinabox likes this.
  4. abrod520

abrod520 May 21, 2021

I actually found not one but TWO Monzas available brand new at the TAG boutique on 5th Ave yesterday. This is them on my wrist, which is enormous:

3E4EBBA5-6665-4356-9B92-4A802CB3F938.jpeg

4AF462E6-FD5F-4702-A450-292EDCA908F7.jpeg

The listed size is 36mm, but I'd say they wear like a 38mm rounded case watch does. Definitely vintage-vibe size, but not tiny by any stretch.

jacinabox, Clarkosetla and imagwai like this.
  5. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 May 21, 2021

White all day long, doesn’t look to big to me.

Clarkosetla likes this.
  6. jacinabox

jacinabox May 21, 2021

Thanks for your comments. Thanks too for the wrist shots - they certainly don't look small on your wrist.
    I think my issue is a result of being conditioned by wearing, in comparison to the Monza, larger watches.

Not long after my initial post I had a call from the pawnbroker offering to let me have the watch to wear for the rest of the weekend (good of them) subject to leaving CC details and returning the watch in the same condition. It'll be good to have an 'extended test' of the watch before making my decision...really do want to feel comfortable with a Monza, especially the white version. Fingers crossed.

7. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz May 22, 2021

This one is my lone smaller size TAG/Heuer. It speaks to me with it's vintage blue hands and look. And a Cal. 36 to boot!

jacinabox likes this.
  8. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 May 24, 2021

Hi, just seen your post on TZ about this, wonder how many of us cross over there.

9. jacinabox

jacinabox May 24, 2021

There are a few names I recognise fromTZ, yours included. IIRC you and one another over there pointed me to here over questions I had with a Monaco :)

In other news, after wearing a "loan" Monza for a chunk of the weekend, I've decided against it. Despite friends and family saying it looked just fine, including Mrs JiaB saying it looks a lot better than my "oversized clown watches"...a reference to my Monaco's, I felt it was just too small.
    Hope I don't live to regret my decision <sniff>

10. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 May 25, 2021

“Oversize clown watches”! Heretic!
    I dunno, you might regret the Monza decision.

11. jacinabox

jacinabox May 25, 2021

'Heretic' just about sums it up.

Regret? Could well be right; even after sending the seller a 'sorry, not for me' message I was wondering if that was the right thing to do. Never, ever have I had such a difficult time in making a decision on a watch.

The seller, a very patient and understanding fellow ( member here & TZ) he's offered to send the watch on approval for a couple of weeks with a refund if it doesn't work out. I may well take him up.
    Purchase cost + service cost + new OE strap equals a costly watch if it doesn't work out be a long term keeper.