Forums Latest Members
  1. MonacoMike

MonacoMike Feb 2, 2022

Despite being obsessed with Monacos, and feeling like I'm pretty damn knowledgeable regarding them and their history, I continue to be a bit perplexed by one element of my modern Calibre 11 Monaco...

I'm not that experienced when it comes to mechanical watches, but in all of my experience, whether it be mechanical hand-wind or automatics, you are always able to hand-wind the watch, and it always gives off a satisfying click when doing so.

My Calibre 11 Monaco, though, makes no noise at all when hand-winding it. There is a big more resistance when hand winding it, but there is no noise. Anyone know why this is the case?

2. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 2, 2022

upload_2022-2-2_21-24-22.jpeg

3. Tag_ZA

Tag_ZA Jul 22, 2022

Hey Mike, I just bought a Calibre 11 Monaco and I have the same thing. It doesn't feel like it's actually winding, like my H01 or Cal16. When I wind it I can't hear the spring or anything. Is this the same your side?

4. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jul 22, 2022

As already stated in the other thread where this question was asked:

Based on those I handled, It should indeed feel VERY smooth (like: barely noticeable) on a new Cal.11/12 module chrono (smoother than on a “stock” ETA/Sellita).

But I’m sure others will soon chime in, too…

Edited Jul 22, 2022
    Tag_ZA likes this.
  5. RushDom

RushDom Jul 22, 2022

I can feel mine winding - a subtle grainy feel to mine, purchased Dec 2021.

It’s worth noting that the automatic winding on mine seems a fit…feeble. The rotor doesn’t spin too freely (nothing like a H-02, which is like a fidget spinner!).

Pitfitter446 likes this.
  6. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Jul 22, 2022

She seems like fun company… Does she have a sister? :p

I just switched to my Monaco Cal.12 for the weekend…

The feedback's there. You just need to have good ears and get pretty close to the case to hear it. All good.

I actually found it more confusing (initially - THF to the rescue…) on my vintage Cal.12 pieces, where the “wrong sense” resembles more closely to the winding experience you have with modern “stock” movements than the correct sense ;)

I insist on the “stock” bit because e.g., an Omega SM 2254 from 20 years ago, with an apparently basic ETA inside, will wind very smoothly because Omega refined the whole movement experience.

7. Tag_ZA

Tag_ZA Jul 22, 2022

Thanks I will try keep the missus quiet for long enough to try and listen carefully :D