Forums Latest Members

"McQueen's" Monaco- What's your advice?

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 15, 2014

A while back I received this e-mail:

"In the seventies, my father in law used to race cars. He trained at the same place where Steve McQueen and Paul Newman were, but he didnĀ“t qualify for the next race. Steve McQueen had a broken piece on his car and my father-in-law gave him the part of his own car he needed so he could race.

In appreciation he gave my father in law the watch he was wearing a Heuer Monaco. Lately he just kept it safe for years.

Lately they used to meet at the races when coincided .

On the back of the watch is written "TOOL 033""

Two other facts:
    1. The serial number on the watch checks out as being from the era described above
    2. There are no photos or any written documentation to prove that McQueen gave the watch to the helpful driver.

So...what's your advice?

Edited Nov 17, 2014
  2. Pasbru

Pasbru Nov 15, 2014

Wow, great story...if you can prove it that would be great! Anything Steve McQueen related is valuable and in my opinion just plain AWESOME! Good luck on your hunt for provenance!!!

3. georgetownhoya

georgetownhoya Nov 17, 2014

This would be about the 9th McQueen Monaco we have heard about, but Jack Heuer was pretty adamant that only three were sent to the set. It is possible Steve bought more, but seems like a far-fetched story. After all, the McQueen connection could literally add over $700,000 to the price - as the one used for photographs on set sold for $799,500 a couple years ago.

It's a great story and who am I to say it isn't true, but without additional proof (which it sounds like there isn't) I don't think people would pay any premium for the watch.

4. LouS

LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 17, 2014

Like pieces of the True Cross - if all were assembled, it would be three stories tall. Steve McQueen must have taken style cues from this guy:

black-market1.jpg

5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 17, 2014

It's an interestng story. I've been talking with the owner for a year and there are a few other facts I won't go into now which at least make it possible in my mind.

Totally agree that able to "prove" this is a whlole other challenge!

Stay tuned...

6. step_hent

step_hent Nov 26, 2014

Cant wait to see the outcome of this. If nothing else, it's another great story and no doubt a gorgeous watch!