McQueen's Monaco up for auction, what do you think it will sell for?

Auctioneer can take phantom bids up to reserve (in UK) if rules are same in other countries then you don't necessarily need 2 bidders.

Jeeper
The reserve on the one that sold in 2012 was $200K. There were 17 bids. It hammered at $650K, with Buyer's Premium fee the total was $799.5K. That's a pretty big gap from reserve to hammer, and it surely took more than just one bidder.

This is the link to the 2012 auction: https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/12137473_663-le-mans-s-mcqueen-michael-delaney-heuer-watch

Just as there is speculation that the original Newman Daytona was purchased by Rolex, I wondered if this Monaco was won by someone affiliated with TAG Heuer?

Just as there is speculation that the original Newman Daytona was purchased by Rolex, I wondered if this Monaco was won by someone affiliated with TAG Heuer?
Unlikely. This was discussed during the round table webinar. TH already have what they need in their museum. Catherine & Federic had some ideas about who might be serious bidders.

1M !!!! I hope it can be 2M so it can really stand to its name as the McQueen Monaco (2M) ;);)
Actually, @kappa_md was spot on with his "hope" of 2M. We have a winner! :thumbsup:

2M - for McQueen Monaco ::psy::::psy::

Spot on! ::rimshot::

Congratulations Kappa... Look forward to seeing pics of it on your wrist.. LOL...

There were 6.

This one appears to have some rust and bumps. I don't think this will go above 200K.
upload_2020-10-29_15-33-25.png

So the one in Museum is worth how much now?

In the vintage car collectors market, some untouched unrestored rusted cars have higher values than their pristine restored equivalents. Collectors want the real deal and rust & bumps is part of that. This watch has a unique back story, kept by McQueen and gifted to Haig. So that's why I think it's worth more than Dunley's other Monaco movie prop watches, even if they might be in better condition.

In the vintage car collectors market, some untouched unrestored rusted cars have higher values than their pristine restored equivalents. Collectors want the real deal and rust & bumps is part of that. This watch has a unique back story, kept by McQueen and gifted to Haig. So that's why I think it's worth more than Dunley's other Monaco movie prop watches, even if they might be in better condition.
I agree but this watch isn't untouched though. It has great patina with rust, scratches and dents but it has been polished at some point. The loss of sharp edges is not due to wear imo. For a Monaco that's a big deal for me, it completely changes the watch. Then again I don't think any condition would have mattered much to achieve the price.

I agree but this watch isn't untouched though. It has great patina with rust, scratches and dents but it has been polished at some point. The loss of sharp edges is not due to wear imo. For a Monaco that's a big deal for me, it completely changes the watch. Then again I don't think any condition would have mattered much to achieve the price.
Can you show me which edges you're talking about? They seem sharp to me, but perhaps you've got a better eye.

In the Webinar, they said the watch was untouched, left in a safety deposit box. Someone even mentioned how great the aged condition of the case is.

look at the top two corners and case edge between them. It's all a bit rounded, stump. I don't believe this is due to wear, it's too even all around. Also the top of the lugs and adjacent case sides appear to have brushing on all photos I could find. Originally these were polished.

mcqueen_04 copy.jpg

Here's a similar photo of mine:

2 copy.jpg

Further obvious here, including the brushing:

mcqueen_01 copy.jpg

look at the top two corners and case edge between them. It's all a bit rounded, stump. I don't believe this is due to wear, it's too even all around. Also the top of the lugs and adjacent case sides appear to have brushing on all photos I could find. Originally these were polished.

mcqueen_04 copy.jpg

Here's a similar photo of mine:

2 copy.jpg

Further obvious here, including the brushing:

mcqueen_01 copy.jpg
Thanks! I see what you mean. I wondered why the lug surfaces didn't have a polished finish, assumed it had just dulled over the years. But now I can see it has clearly been given a brushed do over. Agree, that is a big no no!

Your Monaco looks great BTW! :thumbsup: