Forums Latest Members
  1. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 7, 2020

Morning all, hope everyone is keeping well?

Working from home has it's benefits, the rabbit hole of new watches to make the mind wonder!

I'm still torn daily between a McQueen Monaco and Omega Speedy Pro. Can this forum help be an enabler and post pictures of the McQueen Monaco, why this should be the one and peoples thoughts on the pros and cons if worn in small rotation?

2. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Apr 7, 2020

image.jpg Here’s mine, complete with some blue flowers.
    Pros- it’s a McQueen! And it’s blue for a change, and it’s not another speedy.

3. kappa_md

kappa_md Apr 7, 2020

I’ll try my best to help sir! :)

Omega Speedmaster Pro vs TAG Heuer McQueen Monaco

Both iconic and respectable chronographs.
    Both have great illustrious stories / heritage.
    Both adored and desired by watch enthusiasts.
    Probably alot of watch enthusiasts also have both in their collection.
    Both are good watches with considerable resale value if you plan to sell them afterwards.

Speedmaster typically has a steel bracelet while Monaco has a racing leather strap. It will depend on what you regularly do also.

So what am i driving at? It all boils down to which can you relate more. What are you more passionate about or “connected” to. Which suits your personality more?

In my own experience, i’ve seen several people wearing Omega Speedmasters but rarely do i see someone wearing a Heuer Monaco :thumbsup: Plus the fact that I’m more passionate in racing/motorsports than anything related to space exploration. You can’t go wrong with any. Just my 2 cents ;)

Mspeedster, McBeardy and Albert-AMG like this.
  4. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Apr 7, 2020

+1. ^ that’s what I meant.

5. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 7, 2020

Try them both on before buying. The Monaco is very thick and not for everyone. Plus it's a cheap movement. The color is flashy and fun, but wouldn't work terribly well in a more formal atmosphere, if that's where you find yourself often.

The Speedmaster can also be found brand new from dealers for under $4000, and the new ones come not only with a bracelet (or leather strap), but two different Nato straps, so you'd have the choice. The Speedmaster is also very versatile and tends to look great on almost any strap combination, which will be easy to experiment with as its lug width is 20mm (the Monaco is 22mm, which narrows your selection slightly - but not that much)

6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 7, 2020

I own both and love them both. The Monaco is my all time favorite watch, which I prefer over my other iconic heritage watches which include the Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Submariner and Breitling Navitmer.

Why? The answer is simple, I identify myself with Motorsport over Space, Sea or Air.

I love the Monaco so much that I have 3 (McQueen C11, 50th 90s C11, and Gulf C12). The square blue dial with white registers of the McQueen is simply gorgeous! It's a watch that stands out, even when people don't know what it is. I've gotten far more compliments and comments made to me by strangers about the Monaco than any other watch. I never tire of looking at it!
    20191203_100604.jpg

My Speedmaster First Omega in Space (FOIS) is a re-issue of the CK2998 which pre-dates the moonwatch. It's my second favorite watch. I prefer it over the standard Speedmaster Pro for its retro looks and smaller size. The Speedmaster FOIS is a very satisfying watch, so much so that I don't own or feel the need for another Speedmaster or any other Omega.
    DSCN0627e.JPG

7. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 7, 2020

To be honest neither has me on a passionate level more. I'm more drawn to dive watches as my collection shows. I love hearing and seeing the old NASA documentary and seeing those Moonwatches, but always drawn to the blue Monaco when I see it. Also when I do watch old racing film.

kappa_md likes this.
  8. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 7, 2020

Roughly 3yrs ago my daily wear was a U Boat Classico the 45mm size wasn't too much of any issue yet the case height was. Then 2 yrs ago my daily become a Panerai, (I obviously like slightly different watches) this size isn't an issue, I just can see the Luminor case a bit plain. My worry is the Monaco case would feel the same. I know the Speedy case is pleasing to the eye with it's twisted lugs. Both have good brushing mind you. Strap options aren't a big deal, my BB58 is my bracelet watch of choice.

The movement is an issue, as snobbish as it sounds, I'd rather have in house, if the new 02 movement was in the calibre 11 case, Tag take my money! But I also know there is a new Moonwatch due this year.

9. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 7, 2020

Thanks for the reply. That's interesting to know. I have tried both on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But as mentioned above I'm drawn more to dive watches than anything else.

I guess what I like about dive watches is the was of timing, find the bezel much quicker for short periods. The uncluttered look - one bonus for Monaco being a bi-chrono.

It's the twisted lugs I prefer on the Speedy, but do love the applied logo on your FOIS, I have been looking at one called a reissue, but would change the steel bezel to black.

Mspeedster likes this.
  10. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 7, 2020

Just to see my collection to give you some pointers on what I like.

[​IMG]

kappa_md likes this.
  11. kappa_md

kappa_md Apr 7, 2020

Nice collection of divers watches sir :thumbsup: the panerai looks good as it is known among watch enthusiasts as the royal italian navy issue.

i am pretty much a TAG Heuer / Heuer fanatic but i really do try to be objective and unbiased as possible :)

If i may, the rolex submariner is an iconic dive watch other than being an early 007 bond watch ;) it is a good buddy/complement to your tudor black bay

Edited Apr 7, 2020
  12. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 8, 2020

Thanks.

The Panerai was my grail watch for a long time, and I love the early history of the brand, and how you can easily spot the brand in the wild and not that common.

My dad has an early 90's Sub date which I used to borrow a bit and will be mine one day he tells me. I almost bought a new Sub no date before the Panerai, I can see their appeal and are fantastic watches just not keen on their image recently and ADs!

Plus I find the BB58 scratches that itch. It is a very impressive watch and VFM.

This morning I'm leaning towards the Monaco, just seeing the best deal after this is over.

kappa_md likes this.
  13. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 8, 2020

Well the Monaco is pretty tall, so you'll definitely want to try it on - are those photos above yours, at an AD?

If you're a "movement snob" unfortunately the Monaco's bargain-bin Sellita + Dubois-Depraz chrono module is not likely to appeal - it's basically microbrand quality for a very not-micro price!

Obviously I personally lean towards the Speedmaster, having owned both (and taken a very big loss on selling one - guess which one :p ) and I think it might be the better addition to your collection, as it's a bit more reserved and under-the-radar. The Monaco is certainly very distinctive and can be identified a mile away for sure, but then so is the Speedmaster to seasoned eyes ;)

imagwai likes this.
  14. YY77

YY77 Apr 8, 2020

I agree with @abrod520, having only seen the New Monaco the height was impressive (in a negative way). I have a Speedy and just got a El Primero 1969 original, the latter tops the Monaco in wearability but is still iconic.

15. McBeardy

McBeardy Apr 8, 2020

Yes the photos are mine from 2 different ADs, maybe beed to see if one AD had both in to decide. Well as much as I'm paying good money rather have something in house than 3rd party.

Wonder if they will ever release the O2 movement in the the calibre 11 style case. My thoughts they wouldn't as why but the new current 02 Monaco.

I don't mind it being distinctive after all I has the U Boat and my Panerai gets worn often!

Edited Apr 8, 2020
  16. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 8, 2020

Right, my thinking (which I didn't quite explain) was there's more room in your collection for a bit of subtlety ;)

Plus, if you decide down the line that you do want the Monaco, you can just add one. And if it turns out you'd rather have the Monaco over the Speedmaster, you'll lose a lot less money on trade-in.

17. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Apr 8, 2020

Lots of folks put down the movement in the Monaco, but all I can say is its very reliable and mine have kept very good time. Comparing my 3 Monacos against my Speedmaster, 2 of my Monacos keep better time, 1 is about the same. IMHO, the only real advantage of the H02 in-house movement is the longer power reserve and the perceived image or bragging rights. Speedy has the same power reserve as the Monaco, so it's just bragging rights. Also, the Monaco is an automatic, while the Speedy Pro is a manual wind - which can either be a plus or negative depending on whether you like winding a watch daily (I do).

As for resale value, it may depend on whether you're the type who flips watches. While a Speedy might generally hold its value better than a Monaco, the Speedy will depreciate too if bought new. (In my case, I just buy watches based on what pushes hard on my "want button". Don't care about resale value, as my watches are all keepers.)

Just my 2 cents on some of the points made against the Monaco... :whistling:

kappa_md and Albert-AMG like this.
  18. abrod520

abrod520 Apr 9, 2020

I will say that I've not had a "Caliber 11" Monaco, but the Caliber 12 I had kept poor time right from the start - and that was essentially the same movement (an actual ETA back then, rather than the newer Sellita clone). Definitely possible that some things have changed for sure. As for in-house vs ebauche, I really do not mind an ebauche movement, in fact in many cases it's the better way to go regarding serviceability - but it's still disappointing to see TAG charging $6500 for a watch with a microbrand-level movement. If they were half that new, then I'd have a much different opinion.

I absolutely agree, but in some cases you never really know how much you'll like or dislike a watch until you've bought it and worn it a few times. In situations where it's not worked out (has happened to me a few times) it's much nicer to be able to get your money back so you can spend it on something else, rather than having to choose between being stuck with it, or taking a large loss on a sale.

19. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Apr 9, 2020

Or if they could at least bother to chronometre certify the watches

YY77 likes this.
  20. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Apr 9, 2020

Get the Monaco, there is nothing else like it.

The Speedmaster is just plain boring!

OttoWilliam, kappa_md and Albert-AMG like this.