Forums Latest Members
  1. Yago

Yago Jun 13, 2019

Maen are set to launch their Skymaster via kickstarter.
    A 38mm vintage inspired Swiss made chronograph powered by an ETA 2894-2 for 799 euro. From the photos of the various models it's easy to see where the inspiration came from.

Maen Skymaster.JPG

2. imagwai

imagwai Jun 13, 2019

Definitely based on the Autavia. I quite like it, though. Will probably check it out when it's released, but as with all these microbrands, one has to pay close attention to the quality of the finishing. I would be expecting it to be pretty good at this price. I already see one or two details I don't like so much.

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jun 13, 2019

Agree- no question that it's "inspired" by the Autavia. I always wondered why TAG Heuer took no action against Seven Friday for the design of their watch. The case is a straight Silverstone copy

[​IMG]

4. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Jun 13, 2019

Saw a thread on WUS about this. Agreed, blatant homage (copy).

5. imagwai

imagwai Jun 14, 2019

Can you protect the shape of a watch?

6. Yago

Yago Jun 14, 2019

You can if it's protected as a model, in which case the protection is limited in time. However truly iconic designs can be protected as brands/logos for as long as the applicant pays the fees, but this is very hard to do in case of a 3d designs. For example the silhouette of the Eames lounge chair. The other way to address this would be a passing off litigation, in which case TH would be claiming these brands are misleading consumers into thinking they're buying the real thing. I don't think these copies fall into that category.