Forums Latest Members

Is the TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 02T worth it ?

1. 10-Dee-Q

10-Dee-Q Feb 16, 2017

hi, just dropping by here, im really interested with the new Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 02 tourbillon,
    i never thought that i want a tourby, but since the heuer 02T is so "reasonably" priced, now i'm really thinking to get one of them.
    i believe the MSRP is US$ 15000 for the non limited model, and US$ 20000 for the limited all black tourbillon.

I'm not a watch expert, im just normal watch hobyist .
    i own several G-Shocks Gravity Masters , and Seikos Astron, i like their newer line up with techy GPS synchronised watches.
    i also have a Bell & Ross BR 01 watch, as the sheer size really attract me to it.
    and i'm quite a Panerai Addict, because i like big watches, as i have a big frame, so bigger watch makes me looked "slimmer" [​IMG]

i dont know anything about Tag Heuer, i do own 1 Tag Heuer though, i remember i bought it when im still in high school,
    that time Tag Heuer Brand is very popular among youngsters, so i save my pocket money for a few years before i can get myself a 39mm Tag Heuer Professional 2000 series Quartz.
    i still have the piece today, but i seldom wears it because it's feel to small on my wrist.

i tried to sell/ trade it away but the value is very low, so i think i better keep it as a collection.

back to the subject, i have several questions for the watch aaffectionados here :

-Why most pro watch affectionados "hated" Tag Heuer ? almost every single person that i know or met, that has branded collection of watches eg, rolex, AP, Panerai, etc bashes Tag Heuer, they say it's not worth to buy a Tag Heuer. To my knowledge , Tag Heuer do produced some exquisite expensive watches , like the Monaco v4, Monaco double tourby, etc.

-Why Tag Heuer Resale Value is very bad compared to other luxury brand ?
    i mean, i know rolex is the king of resale value, but i sell and trade several of my Panerai before and i didn't lose much on them, infact some of them give me quite a profit.

-will the resale value of the Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 02T be bad as well ?
    i know that i can not buy a watch with intention to resale it for a profit in the future, but im quite hesitant if the watch that im going to purchase will drop it's value by more than 50% once i bought it.

i was looking to get a new watch to add into my collection
    and 2 watches are on my mind right now,

-Tag Heuer Carera Calibre 02 T Phantom, priced US$ 20.000 before discount (i don't know how much discount that the AD can normally give ? and i couldnt find one on sale on second hand market yet)

or

-Panerai Pam 187 SubZilla a sheer 47mm stainless Steel , special edition Panerai Diver with nice patina indices . priced around US$ 13-15000 on second hand market.

which one is a better buy ?
    i really like the Pam 187 , but the thought of having a "swiss" tourbillon really temp me to get the TAG.

2. Big Adam

Big Adam Feb 16, 2017

That's like comparing a Bentley to a Challenger Tank.

3. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 16, 2017

Why do you want a tourbillon? Most enjoy them because of the intricate and delicate hand-made qualities, but TAG's is mass-produced.

4. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Feb 16, 2017

Hello, I'll try to answer your questions one by one as i could :

1. Why do "affectionados" hate Tag Heuer ? Here I put the quote unquote on the "affectionados" instead of the hate because we seldom have common grounds regarding what is mean by affectionados. Lots of people (archie luxury) said if you like Tag Heuer then you are not "affectionados". I can tell you in all my honesty, all of the people in this forum are the one that i called "affectionados". Ariel Adams have a Tag Heuer, that doesnt make him less of a "affectionados". To quote another general saying in watch world, " if there are dedicated forums for it, then it must not be as bad wouldn't it" (you wouldnt find dedicated forum for lets say kenneth cole watch for example. No offense if you are kenneth cole collector). Here you have entirely dedicated Tag Heuer forum. Watchprosite have their dedicated Tag Heuer thread and general consensus of their members are either friendly or neutral towards Tag Heuer. One should ask question to oneself only "affectionados" dedicated that much of time and enegry and community of "affectionados" to keep the forum alive and well.

2. Why does resale value so bad compare to other brand ?
    If you try to resale quartz watch, most of the time the value will never be there. I can assure you Tag Heuer is not the only one facing depreciating value like that. I just helped a friend sold 1 zenith big pilot and 1 bell and ross BR01 and their value are...well lets just say wasbt quite as expected. But it would be different if it is the right model of Zenith Elprimero for example (i've seen a really high price Zenith Elprimero on hodinkee and it was from the 70's). Now back to Tag Heuer, all i can say is you'll be surprised how much it will worth if it is lets say a vintage Carrera or Autavia or Monaco Dark-Lord, etc. I don't know if 2000 professional quartz will ever give you resale value you wanted. Even after it feature on The Wolf of Wall Street movie and you must remember, the one that featured on that movie is only one model of 2000 professional (gold color if i am not mistaken) so the rest of that model might not generate interest to new buyer at all and when there is no demand the price will be....lets just say not quite as expected.

3. Will the resale value of 02T be bad as well ?
    Thats a million dollar question ! If i know the answer it will surely makes my decision of buying or not buying it be easy. However, if you willing to spend more on the limited edition, the value might not be as drop as the normal one i presume. But dont take my word on it. The only piece i ever resale was a Breitling Navitimer. Do i sell it at a good price...no...lets just say the price i sold it was not quite as i expected. Could i do something about it to increase my Breitling Navitimer resale price ? I suppose i could. If i sell it through internet and willing to do all the necessary hassle for international shipping. In my country, Breitling just aren't that popular. If you are from Europe you won't believe me. But its true.

Between brand new 02T and Vintage Panerai ? Well well well. It seems like resale value play big role in your buying decision (nothing wrong with that. #respect). That being the case, you can never go wrong with vintage watches. But let me point out something here, vintage watch also not big in my country. My guess is probably we lack of good watch repairer. Most of what i found in the market are mostly watch butcher (no offense to anyone). So i cant take vintage watch to official service center for the fear they might change my parts into new one. Being vintage market not big in here, if i am buying a watch based on resale value and i dont know this thing called internet+international shipping, i will not buy the panerai in the first place.

In the end, i really want a swiss tourbillon. Even if it is mass produced one. So i would buy the 02T instead the Panerai.

Just my humble opinion

Cheers

Aquagraph and dc42 like this.
  5. 10-Dee-Q

10-Dee-Q Feb 17, 2017

i'm not a watch expert,
    i do collect few watches,
    and most of my collections are pams,

still can't understand the hate of most watch collectors towards the Tag Heuer
    though i only owned 1 Tag , but i think lately they produced some interesting and handsome wathces, especially the Heuer 01 skeleton and 02 tourbillon
    Thank's to Mr. Biver.
    though those newer Tag watches remind us of a Hublot design ( again thanks to Mr. Biver)

and oh i forgot, most that hate Tag also Hate Hublot.

i just don't undesrtand why, i just want to know why .

hehehe

of and btw im not buying the watch to resell it, but resale value is also quite important in my decision.
    i wouldn't want to buy the tag heuer 02t if i know that the resale value will be 50% off the price i paid.
    im not looking for a profit, but 20% loss on resale is acceptable IMHO.
    i know Rolexes are the king of resale value, but i've no interest in them at all.
    i found those who likes rolexes are either Snob, gay, or spoilt rich kid. No offence to any rolex collector, That's just how i feel about the brand.

6. dc42

dc42 Feb 17, 2017

Watches are an emotive buy. Think of it in an easier way, if you like it and can afford it, buy it.

Fanboys exist in all areas, cars, computers, phones, gaming. They all knock competitors, most of the time as sheep following the few. No need to understand it, buy what means something to you and forget about the opinions of people that mean nothing to you.

MrJKLFoams likes this.
  7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 17, 2017

If someone knows where I can buy all these 'cheap' pre-owned TAGs please let me know.... ta. :)

dtf likes this.
  8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 17, 2017

The other thing about the other brands is that you don't get their 'fans' decrying their new watches and thinking only ones from 50 years ago are any good... ::stirthepot::

9. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Feb 17, 2017

LOL ! Crying about size and strap material :whistling:

10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 17, 2017

Remember kids, if it says 'Heuer' it's very very good.... if it says 'TAG Heuer' it's very very bad.
    ;)

11. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 17, 2017

http://www.ebay.com

12. elbeik

elbeik Feb 17, 2017

It doesn't matter why some don't like Tag Heuer.
    I don't like Rolex, someone else might not appreciate Omega. We live in a world with different tastes and opinions.
    Tag Heuer is not selling watches by the thousands because it's bad.
    I've came to notice, mostly from interactions on another forum, the hate mostly comes from Romega folks.

Anyway, again, it does't matter if some don't appreciate Tag Heuer as a brand or watch maker.
    YOU are about to invest a significant amount in a timepiece.
    YOU have to be comfortable about it, and YOU have to love this watch.
    YOU will be the one wearing it, and contemplating it everytime you glance at the time.

If you like it, and fond of it, then you don't need people's endorsement. Just go for it.

On to the next topic; how's the Astron ownership? I've been wanting one of those as I find the technology awesomely cool.

MrJKLFoams and Hubert like this.
  13. 10-Dee-Q

10-Dee-Q Feb 17, 2017

about the Astron,
    it's been great nothing to complain about.
    GPS functions works flawlessly
    i love it's dome sapphire crystal.
    and the big size
    here's some shot comapring it to a 44mm Panerai
    and G-Shock Gravity Master.
    mine is the Japan Limited Edition Astron that comes with a white leather straps,
    i've change my strap to a Natostrap i think it look better this way :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 17, 2017

Your Seiko Astron looks great on that NATO strap.

elbeik likes this.
  15. 10-Dee-Q

10-Dee-Q Feb 17, 2017

thx bro, btw about the heuer 02T Phantom,
    is it very hard to get them ?
    and for Tag, normally how much discount the AD can give me ?

16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 17, 2017

17. Hubert

I haven't asked about the Phantom's availability. @parag ordered one; you can probably start by sending him a message.
    As for the discount, I've managed to get on other watches up to 20% discount from Authorized Dealers. However, I don't know how much they can give you on the 02T Phantom.

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 17, 2017

Exactly. It doesn't matter if Rolex hold their money better, I'm not buying as an investment and I haven't really seen a single Rolex I would choose to buy. Even if 'everybody' tells me they are 'better' than TAG, so what?

19. Hubert

I normally would agree, but speaking about "new" Rolexes, the current Cosmograph Daytona 116500LN would be a recent exception for me, or a custom Bamford such as this one.

20. elbeik

elbeik Feb 17, 2017

There's only one Rolex I would consider, the Explorer I, even though I am a chronograph type of guy.

I work in Saudi Arabia; Rolexes here are more widespread than Swatch. It makes you loose your appetite.

Greatoldone and dtf like this.