Forums Latest Members
  1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 10, 2019

Albert-AMG likes this.
  2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 11, 2019

Very encouraging and ambitious growth plans!

I think his more focused and restrained approach will please many of the members of our community. :thumbsup:

Albert-AMG likes this.
  3. imagwai

imagwai Jan 11, 2019

The Golf Connected could be interesting since I play a lot. On the other hand, I was given a Garmin Approach S10 for Christmas, so we'll have to see what it can do! For golf, you want it to be light and unobtrusive so as to not interfere with your swing (so can't see a 46mm version working well). You also want simple and quick operation, i.e. instant access to key yardages, automatic hole switching, etc.

4. Yago

Yago Jan 11, 2019

I like that 10 francs bit

5. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 11, 2019

Very interesting interview! :thumbsup: I would like to see TAG Heuer just involved in motorsports and not in football and top models... and specially not involved with the arrogant and prepotent Cristiano Ronaldo :eek: ::facepalm2::

Motorsport is in the roots of this brand. Its motor racing heritage is unique, and it makes TH different from other wathmakers. Any brand can pay to some famous artists or models to be its ambassadors, but there’s no way to buy such motor racing history (being F1 official timekeeper, and sponsoring racing teams and drivers for such a long time).
    So Motorsport IMO should be clearly the main (if not the only) area for sponsorship and brand ambassadors.

Another interesting point:
    I think it’s the first official info about there’s a third TH Connected generation coming, in 2020. The Golf Connected seems just a special version of the current Connected Modular 45/41... but I hope the third generation will be compatible with the clever TH Modular system! :rolleyes:

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 11, 2019

It will be interesting to see how things develop, maybe TAG will become less 'aggressive'? But I can't see them abandoning ambassadors, social media is very important to their business and they can't just endlessly recycle the connection with Senna and Steve McQueen, and as yet Max is not in a position to be a World Champion. I think us older people forget that Steve McQueen and Senna mean very little to 20 year olds.

7. Albert-AMG

:whipped: You have to put 10 francs into the pig! :D

I think they don’t have to abandon ambassadors, sponsoring and social media, just to better choose them... Cristiano Ronaldo? :confused: No, please!

For instance: What the hell is Rolex being the current official F1 timekeeper? Probably the transponder timekeeping system is still from TAG Heuer, but with Rolex stickers over the TH logos... TH should still be the official F1 timekeeper (where thousands of a second matters) and not a football league timekeeper, where just plain seconds are enough! Rolex accuracy and timekeeping experience/innovation is enough for Wimbledon ;), but not for F1!

I don’t agree with you about McQueen and Senna: they are legends, and legends never die... They mean a lot even to young people who was born after they left us... cinema, books, videos, media are keeping them always alive. Just ask to the current F1 drivers who is their favourite driver ever, and Ayrton Senna is the survey winner.

The TH link with McQueen and Senna, and with Motorsport in general (Monaco, Monza, Carrera, Panamericana, Silverstone, Formula 1, Fangio, Siffert, Peterson, 300 SLR...) is a great patrimony for the brand, and TH must be proud of it, and take advantage of it. But it’s not necessary to only be connected to the past: there are new circuits, new drivers, and new motorsport competitions. TH is already involved with the Formula E, but if they want to be on the top 4 again, I think they should be again the official timekeeper of the top motorsport category: the F1

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 11, 2019

I think you should have to put $10 in the pig if you say Heuer without that TAG bit, but there we are...:)

You may have a point with Senna (to an extent), I think his legacy is stronger than Schumacher for instance, but as time goes by it means less and less. I don't think Fangio's legacy is getting stronger, it gets to a point where it's just too long ago for the majority to care. For example I think Monroe, Elvis and the Beatles have probably peaked and I could see their memorabilia start to slide as less people are interested.

Steve McQueen on the other hand, I don't think he has anything like the lasting fame of Senna. I'm not sure I could name more than 2 films he made and I'm nearly 50, I can't see many 30 year olds being overly swayed by his likeness to be honest. I mean that's not the be all and end all, McQueen is probably very effective for selling Monacos to 'older' people, mainly because the Monaco is still sold as a 'classic' watch that is rooted in the 60s and 70s. But TAG ($10) definitely need ambassadors that appeal to their future customers, I don't really think any of us would be swayed to buy a watch by an ambassador, the whole point of an ambassador is really to spread the word and sell watches. Yes we might buy a Senna Carrera, but it's really a side effect and of minimal importance in the scheme of things.

As for F1, well... the only thing that talks in F1 is money, and I dread to think how much it costs to be the official timekeeper. I do like that my F1 Kirium says 'Official Timekeeper of the Formula 1 World Championship' on the back of it, but presumably Mr Biver weighed up the costs of sponsoring F1 and The Premier League and reasoned that football offered a better deal per person reached, and probably critically more 'growth' (especially as F1 seems hell bent on removing itself from free to air TV).

9. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jan 11, 2019

"Any brand can pay to some famous artists or models to be its ambassadors, but there’s no way to buy such motor racing history"

They have have this history because they payed for it though right? :rolleyes: we connect them with motorsport mainly due to them paying to appear in connection with it

Aquagraph likes this.
  10. Albert-AMG

Well, I have to admit that I bought my first TAG Heuer (this S/EL) 22 years ago, because it was very similar to the watch of my hero: Ayrton Senna

E841DD4B-4E70-4601-9A26-A1ADF597843A.jpeg
    And two years ago I bought this Formula 1, just because it was the Senna Limited Edition:

FA49F55B-615C-4411-83E8-20DA4F0D97B0.jpeg
    So this particular ambassador has been very important for my sympathy to the brand ;)

OK, but it’s not just a matter of “cost per person reached” (probably some terrible TV reality shows would give better ratios) but the quality of the message and the brand image you are transmitting. If you are a top watch brand of “Mastering Speed for 150 Years”, with worldwide timekeeping innovations mainly applied in motorsports... the message and image you send to the reached person should be linked to the timekeeping of the top motorsport category (where you need accuracy of thousands of a second), and not to national football leagues... where just a Casio for the referee is enough to control the match.

Yago likes this.
  11. Albert-AMG

Yes, but it was a long time sponsoring racing teams and racing drivers, and you can’t buy or built this long time tradition and history in a couple of years...

But the most important: TH was many years the official timekeeper of the F1, and TH offers -since many years ago- a professional range of devices for timekeeping, mainly applied to motorsports. And this is not just about paying, this is about having and developing the technology

Edited Jan 11, 2019
    Jim Dollares likes this.
  12. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 11, 2019

Sure, and I'm sure there are people out there who will buy TAGs ($10) because of Max Verstappen. Nice watches by the way. :thumbsup:

When it comes to business 'growth' is always the message, so moving into a different area always opens up opportunities for growth. TAG ($10) has been sponsoring F1 and F1 teams for a very long time so is there much more growth to be had there? So what do they do? LeMans? That's not exactly going to bring them a whole lot of growth is it?

I don't really see that the timing element is actually all that relevant, sure it's a marketing angle (see the old adverts featuring Senna) although I'm pretty sure Senna never actually timed his laps with his S/EL.;) Plenty of companies sponsor plenty of sports with no direct involvement. Personally I have no interest in football whatsoever and I probably wouldn't know Ronaldo if I tripped over him, but it doesn't 'bother' me like it seems to bother a lot of people here. At the end of the day, as much as we like to romanticize watch companies, most of them are corporations whose primary purpose is to make money... and I think F1 is a diminishing return for TAG ($10).

Jim Dollares likes this.
  13. Albert-AMG

:) Thanks!

I agree, but the matter in the interview was to focus their marketing efforts in less areas, instead of trying to cover so many different sponsorships and ambassadors as they do now. And the TAG Heuer strongest patrimony and heritage is its link with motorsports, it’s what makes the difference with other brands, so their marketing efforts should take advantage of this patrimony if they want to focus in less areas.

Precisely, the quality of the sponsorship depends on the real involvement of the company. If the sponsorship is coherent with the values and the activity (“Mastering Speed”) of the company, then the message and return of the sponsorship is much stronger. To me, having a watch on my wrist from a brand which is involved in motorsports (both ways sponsoring and timekeeping) is an added value, it makes sense... but I don’t see any value for just paying a national football federation to show the TH logo in the panel when players are changed... I don’t think this adds any attractive to the brand.

Yes, but this is a company that makes money from romantic people... people who are paying thousands of $ to wear an automatic device to know the time, when any quartz watch (from any low cost brand) is much more accurate and much more cheap... so their marketing estrategies should also go to the romantic side to have (keeping and growing) their irrational, romantic and passionate customers ;)

BTW, this post is costing you many $!! :eek: :D

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 11, 2019

Well yes, when you put it like that, then I agree.

Very true, but could you live with knowing there would never be another Manchester United Carrera?:unsure:

Also true... I guess we should at least be glad TAG Heuer aren't selling Pilot watches by putting them on surfer's wrists like Breitling!

Indeed, I have mended my ways now though...:thumbsup:

Albert-AMG likes this.
  15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 11, 2019

Oh and your SEL, I tried to buy one of those last year and ended up with a white dial two-tone. No regrets but I'd still like both!:)

Albert-AMG likes this.
  16. Albert-AMG

Yes!!! :D

I’m a supporter of the F.C. Barcelona, but I wouldn’t buy either a Barça Carrera or a Leo Messi F1 Limited Edition... this is the only Barça watch I own, and because it’s a free face! ;)

EB56A18C-0266-45F6-9F2F-23A47E2B2AF7.jpeg

Yago and Jim Dollares like this.
  17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 11, 2019

I'm sure we'll see that come Baselworld! ;)

Albert-AMG likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 11, 2019

Look internet, two men debating a topic with mutual respect and not a cross word between them! :thumbsup:

19. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jan 11, 2019

"I guess we should at least be glad TAG Heuer aren't selling Pilot watches by putting them on surfer's wrists like Breitling!"
    ::facepalm2::

Edit: almost as bad as the recent thing with putting pilot watches on the arms of old men riding motorcycles but yes, surfers are even worse

20. Remo

Remo Jan 11, 2019

Well, Zenith does exactly the same.
    gentleman-ride-zenith.jpg
    And guess what... I find myself daydreaming about me in about 10 years, driving a Royal Enfield (Time and Tide special edition of couse) with that Zenith extra special on my wrist in a horde of men, who all think they could stay young forever.
    Screen-Shot-2018-11-02-at-3.57.56-PM-845x631.jpg
    Cool or completely insane?

Calibre11 likes this.