Forums Latest Members

Information on Bessa "Water" divers watch ser# 6395

1. Hal Branco

Hal Branco Jan 17, 2017

DSCF6671.JPG DSCF6666.JPG DSCF6666.JPG An almost immediate correction it is a BESSA "WATER" Divers chronograph....not Basse. Please forgive my intrusion into the Tag heuer world. I have recently come into possesion of The watch as named and numbered above. It appears to be rather a rare one. From what little I can gather It appears to be tied somehow to Tag Heuer and Monnin as creators and manufacturers. It has a green face and a red fixed bezel. It is a chronograph with a screw down rear plate. The band is not gold in color it is stainless (chromium in hue and has an aladins lamp on the inside of the clasp with the brand name LAMP. Please excuse my lack of proper terminology. I have not been able to find any further information and NO pictures of it on the internet sites. Can anyone tell me more about it and give me some reasonable concept of rarity and valuation. I may wish to auction or sell it.

Edited Jan 18, 2017
  2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

Hi Hal- do you have a photo?

3. Hal Branco

Hal Branco Jan 18, 2017

Sorry for the delay editor, I just saw your reply today. The pictures are added to the original dialogue. Thank you for your interest. I will await your reply regarding history, rarity and rough valuation. I would say the watch is in very very good condition. time is incorrect because I have not wound it or used it. Do you know if it is self winding with motion...or not?

4. SteveP

SteveP Jan 18, 2017

Hi Hal-as I understand it, Bessa share a loose connection with Heuer as they both used similar Monnin cases for some of their watches. I believe that is as far as the connection goes. Your watch does not have a Heuer equivalent and I don't believe it is a Monnin case (but I could be mistaken on that point.)-it is probably powered by a Valjoux 7734, which is a manual wind movement. The number on the back is probably a serial number. As far as value goes-there are a large number of similar 70's chronographs on the market today-as Bessa is not a particularly collectible brand in it's own right, the 'value' is often purely down to how much the look and condition appeal to someone. There are a couple of other Bessa examples that were listed on Ebay over the last year or so, at $350/450 equivalent, but they didn't seem to sell very quickly. The condition does look good, particularly the front of the case. If you were to list it at a similar price, it may catch someone's eye!
    Best of luck!
    Steve

Calibre11 likes this.
  5. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 18, 2017

Agree with Steve- while there are a few watches with the Monnin brand, they seem to have been predominantly a contract manufacturer for other brands.

I think the Bessa/ Monnin link people (including me!) speculate on is partly down to the fact that both companies are based in Besançon on the French/ Swiss border.

6. imagwai

imagwai Jan 18, 2017

Know nothing about these but I also agree that it's highly likely a Valjoux 7734 inside.