Forums Latest Members

In search of the rightful owner of a Heuer Carrera Dato 45 in my procession

1. fsflee

fsflee Jun 20, 2020

All, I am new here and trying to search for that needle in the hay stack.

My father was a watch repairer in Hong Kong. He passed away in 1975. I migrated to Australia in 1976 with his box of belonging which I have never opened until I did a clean up couple of months ago. Amongst the things in the box is a working, possibly repaired, black dialed Heuer Carrera Dato 45. I am reasonably sure that the watch doesn’t belong to him as I don’t think we could afford having one at the time. I can only surmise that the owner of the watch, for whatever reason, failed to claim it back.

I did a bit of research and realize that it is now a watch of some value. I am quite happy to return the watch to its rightful owner if

1. He/she can identify the watch with the number stamped on the case; or

2. Name the shop that he/she deposited the watch in for repair; or

3. In case it is a private repair job, my father’s name.

This offer is absolutely unconditional (except that the claimant is to pay for freight from Australia) and will be open for 6 months, after which I shall pass the watch to my son.

2. fsflee

fsflee Jun 20, 2020

Sorry, my POSSESSION, I mean

Marcos Alvarenga likes this.
  3. Marcos Alvarenga

Marcos Alvarenga Jun 20, 2020

Nice initiative.

please post pictures after 6 months or after the right owner finds it.

4. imagwai

imagwai Jun 20, 2020

It's mine! I wondered what I did with it, but now I remember :)

It's very noble of you, but I think after so much time has passed, you'd be pretty safe in assuming the owner won't be found now.

Yago likes this.
  5. eduk

eduk Jun 20, 2020

This - nearly 50 years ago, very possible the original owner is no longer alive

6. abrod520

abrod520 Jun 20, 2020

Well, these weren't very expensive watches back then, especially in 1975 as style trends had changed considerably from the late '60s which is when this watch was designed. It would instead have been just a couple-years-old used watch, so unless your father was truly destitute I don't think it's completely out of the question that it may have been his.

7. fsflee

fsflee Jun 20, 2020

Thank you. I might just do that.

8. fsflee

fsflee Jun 20, 2020

Eduk & Imagwai: That's my worry but I think I still have to give it a go.

RockBurner likes this.
  9. fsflee

fsflee Jun 20, 2020

Highly unlikely. I have never seen him wearing a watch.

10. TomGW

TomGW Oct 7, 2020

Any update on this? Don't discount it being your father's, even if you never saw him wear it. My father died in February 2017, at 87, and during my lifetime I seldom ever saw him wear a watch. He had a fairly nondescript manual watch during my childhood which was seldom worn, although it sat on a dresser in the bedroom. In later years he had a cheap and nasty gold coloured quartz that he took on holiday but otherwise it was never seen. To my surprise, when we were clearing out the house we found both of the aforementioned watches, as well as a pie-pan Connie, complete with box, receipt and documents.

11. fsflee

fsflee Oct 8, 2020

12. fsflee

fsflee Oct 8, 2020

Hi TomGW. Thank you for your email. Since late June I have cast the net wider and try to trace my father's contact in Hong Kong as it was where the watch was originally from. No luck so far. I can be almost sure that my father would not have bought that watch as he was never a wheel and deal person. Judging by the condition of the watch, it was pretty obvious that the watch had a had life. If the watch did belong to my father, my guess would be that it was given to or left with him for parts and my dad decided to have it fixed. I'll take some photos of the watch and post it up later. Thanks again for your interest.

13. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 8, 2020

Feels like the watch gods want this one to be yours. You've done more than the right thing to see if there is an obvious owner (a real needle in a haystack)- hope it brings you some nice memories of your father/ your son's grandfather.

I'm based in Melbourne, so let me know if you need any advice on repairs/ parts/ etc

14. fsflee

fsflee Jan 16, 2021

All
    First of all, I thank all of you for your attention and interest in the matter. Secondly, I wish to inform that my effort in the last six and half months to find the owner of the watch has failed and I'll pass the watch to my son as I have said previously. Lastly, I am attaching some photos as I have promised.

Regards

Inside the old Green Rolex Box were eight metal cigarette boxes filled with assorted watch parts, (balance staffs, assorted screws etc). The Heuer was in one of those boxes. There are also some damaged push button parts and an old watch glass of same size on the watch. Because the glass and push buttons on the watch look new, I surmise that the watch has been repaired and those items replaced. By the way, the watch is running and keeps time.

IMG_20201227_110432.jpg
    IMG_20201227_111118.jpg IMG_20201227_111118.jpg IMG_20201227_110359.jpg IMG_20201227_110413.jpg IMG_20201227_111346.jpg IMG_20201227_111223.jpg IMG_20201227_110843.jpg

15. HoltzPlatz

HoltzPlatz Jan 16, 2021

A precious gift, enjoy with memories

16. imagwai

imagwai Jan 16, 2021

That's a real beauty. Congrats.

17. TomGW

TomGW Jan 16, 2021

Very well done. You have done more than could reasonably be expected to find the previous owner (if indeed it wasn’t your father’s all along). It’s a very nice example of a highly desirable, collectible watch and I hope your son enjoys something that was, at the very least, worked on by his grandfather so many years ago. Just a word of caution - if he is going to use it, it should be serviced as the lubricants will have dried up and wear will start to occur.

18. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 17, 2021

Thanks for the update- a great heirloom for your son. Hope he enjoys it

heuer_carrera likes this.
  19. Slomosen

Slomosen Jan 17, 2021

I think you've "cleared the Karma" on this one, so to speak. For all intents and purposes, it is your son's due to your effort behind the ownership.

heuer_carrera and Calibre11 like this.