Forums Latest Members

[ID and valuation] Heuer Ref. 2915 Stopwatch - how similar is this to the John Glen watch worn in sp

1. Buscape

Buscape Dec 30, 2022

Hi all.

I was cleaning out a deceased reltatives home and found this stopwatch. My granddad was a pilot and used it while flying to keep track of flight time.
    I looked up the serialnumber and found out it was were similar to the John Glen watch worn on the friendship 7 mission.

Apprantly this was the only item not custom made for the mission and was used as a backup mission timer.

[​IMG]
    Watches in Space: John Glenn and the Heuer 2915A - Worn & Wound
    There’s no denying that the United States started off on the back foot in the Space Race. Since the launch of Sputnik 1 in 1957, America had to endure a string of Soviet space victories, from satellites, to animal cosmonauts like Laika the dog, and finally in 1961 Vostok 1 put Yuri Gagarin in...
    wornandwound.com

Aside from the crown my watch looks almost identical but i cant tell whether ii is an 2915A or D or 3rd letter.

Does anyone have more info on this, other than my googles searches?

Also do you have any clue on value, this condition is mint, everything works and i got original casing and packaging.

Thank you

IMG_20221228_232641.jpg

IMG_20221228_232636.jpg

IMG_20221228_232743.jpg

2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Dec 30, 2022

The letter on the box clearly looks like a D to me.

But there seems to be two other letters in lower case after the D. I can't make those out due to what appears to be a black pen mark.

3. Buscape

Buscape Dec 31, 2022

4. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Dec 31, 2022

Yes and this old catalog page also states the D should have a 1-100 decimal division track. So yours is more likely the A, perhaps with the wrong stamp on the box?

Maybe @Jeff Stein can chime in here...

Heuer-2915A_Catalog_1960-1963.jpg

5. Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein Jan 2, 2023

I believe that this is the same model / version that John Glenn used, the Reference 2915 A . . . with the "A" meaning that it is the standard model, rather than the "D" (decimal minutes) model.

It appears that the crown on your stopwatch has been replaced, as it should be the round version of the crown.

In terms of the value, most of these sell in the $100 to $200 range, although we have seen some sellers asking much higher prices, stating that they are selling the "John Glenn" model.

Jeff

Mspeedster likes this.