Forums Latest Members
  1. Heuer1990

Heuer1990 Sep 17, 2022

Hi guys,

I got my grandpas watch Heuer Monaco 1133B and wanted to get your opinion and recommendations on how to proceed to clean and service the watch.

I was already to a very reputable watchshmith amd he told me that no way they can service it/ fix it if it stand in the drawer for the last 30 years.. need to send it to the fabrique, guess he meant Tag Heuer.

I saw some of you had a good experience with Tag Heuer's vintage service where they send the watch to chaux de fonds.

What do you guys think, should I risk it and send it to tag heuer? And what are the to's and donts for a vintage watch. I will clearly indicate that they should not polish.. should I also exchange the glass?
    I would really appreciate your input.

IMG_20220917_125047.jpg
    bassem abadan likes this.
  2. imagwai

imagwai Sep 17, 2022

In terms of preserving value, exchanging the crystal is usually fine. Crowns are best left original if possible but may need to be replaced - if so, ideally keep the original. And yes, don't restore or polish cases unless the original lines and finish have already been polished away.

Your watch looks great by the way. I would service, clean (no polish) and replace the crystal if it were mine. And put it on a nice corfam style leather strap.

Heuer1990 likes this.
  3. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 17, 2022

Send this to Abel Court in Belgium. Restoration may not be inexpensive, but will absolutely be worth it.

imagwai and Heuer1990 like this.
  4. Heuer1990

Heuer1990 Sep 18, 2022

Thanks a lot for your input. Much appreciated. Will go tomorrow to the Tag heuer boutique in Zurich and give them clear instructions for the vintage service what to do and what not to do. Wish me luck.

By the way any nice leather strap brand you could recommend? Or should I opt out for the one from Heuer?

5. abrod520

abrod520 Sep 18, 2022

Make them agree in writing to leave the case as-is, and to return any parts that are replaced. Watch manufactures tend not to view their vintage pieces as historical items worth preserving; they view them as old watches that need to be brought up to modern specification - and this often means replacing valuable original parts like hands and dials, removing all character from the watch. At the very least, if this happens but they return the originals to you you can have them re-fit by a watchmaker.

Not all manufactures do this and to TAG's credit I have not heard many horror stories about vintage watches being mangled by them. But it does happen, and I would be extra careful with this wonderful example you have inherited. If you do not feel that they will properly respect the history of the watch, do not leave it with them and use Abel as per my recommendation

imagwai likes this.
  6. imagwai

imagwai Sep 18, 2022