Forums Latest Members
  1. Emiel

Emiel Sep 8, 2020

Hey Heuer fans I have a question about my ref. 1153N,

I recently bought this Carrera 1153N and I think it's a gen.3, but with a gen.2 dial, would this be possible?
    (for example when Heuer started rolling out gen.3 Carrera's, but still had gen.2 dial stock)

On the reference site, there's an Abercrombie & Fitch example that resembles mine, but mine doesn't have the A&F text.

Link: http://www.onthedash.com/chronograph/carrera-ref-1153-n-third/

Link to watch picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cztu2mFojFhk5cji6
    Link to whole album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gaJg1DQawL5mcfuo6

What gen.3 characteristics I recognize:

-cal.12
    -60 --> 500 Tachy, with "Tachy" between 12 and 1 'o'clock
    -broad hands

What gen.2 characteristics I recognize:

-subdial @9 only has 3,6,9 and 12, where gen.3 should have all numbers from 1-12
    -small hour indices, where gen.3 should have broad indexes

serial number between the lugs: 140713 (hard to read)

What's everyone's idea about this?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Kind regards,
    Bart Heuer Carrera (1).jpg

2. imagwai

imagwai Sep 8, 2020

I guess it's possible, but how to know for sure if it left the factory like this? @SteveP possibly has a view?

Either way, nice watch. Your 1163V Autavia is even nicer!

Emiel likes this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Sep 8, 2020

Hi guys. nice 1153 Bart. There are a couple of small anomalies with this but nothing I'd necessarily worry about.

No-I don't think this left the factory like this. You are right in the hands being for the later execution. Everything else we can see though is perfectly fine for a 2nd execution 1153n. Hands have been known to be swapped during servicing (even with Heuer) so I personally wouldn't worry a huge amount if it were me as it doesn't look bad or out of place.

.....then we come on the bits we can't see upfront though. The earliest serials are 147xxx so could it be 148xxx? Assuming so it is an early example meaning the dial is fine, the hands should really be the 1st or 2nd execution types, the tachy bezel should be the earlier version and the movement should be cal 11.

An upgrade to a cal. 12 is quite common so no big issue, and you could argue the other parts may have been changed at the same time too. My own 1153n is a very early 1475xx but has cal. 12 and 2nd execution hands. They were likely changed at some point (at least the movement was) but it's not an issue to me-maybe as it is not uncommon and could well have been a Heuer recall perhaps.
    20200902_145832.jpg
    Hopefully helps a little?
    They are fantastic Heuers, one of my favourite models.....and yes @imagwai , more than a 1163v too!
    Best, Steve

Emiel and imagwai like this.
  4. Emiel

Emiel Sep 9, 2020

Thanks a lot Steve for the insights! (based on your explanation, I guess I ddin't read the third character from the serial number right, so it might be an 8)
    Kind regards,
    Bart

SteveP likes this.
  5. Emiel

Emiel Sep 9, 2020

Thank you! Unfortunately I've sold the Autavia,....

6. MarkMoss

MarkMoss Sep 12, 2020

Heuer has a history of using up parts during assembly, so we sometimes see mismatches ex-factory, including these wider hands (that were designed to match the double markers of the third version dial) and a second version dial with its single markers. On some Autavias and Monacos, these end up being called transitional versions but, honestly, it’s mostly just Heuer’s parsimony showing!

As Steve alludes though, these hands don’t belong on a case numbered 148xxx - they simply weren’t available at that point. So either a service hand replacement or a case swap - I wouldn’t be too concerned about the latter as the dial is contemporary, it’s just the hands that are a mismatch.

7. MarkMoss

MarkMoss Sep 12, 2020

I think some of the estimates for the replacement of the Cal 11i by the 12 are a bit too late. I took this photo of a Buren technical drawing of a Cal 12 part when visiting TH a few years ago. Look at the date at bottom left.

80738F16-5D2A-40E5-BBAC-7A9C144687CA.jpeg

Emiel and SteveP like this.
  8. SteveP

SteveP Sep 12, 2020

That's a little piece of history. :thumbsup: So, on this drawing Mark, are they saying this cal 12 part spec. was originally printed/produced on 19/5/70 and this is a modification to it as of 17/02/71...? Just trying to work it out.....

9. Emiel

Emiel Sep 14, 2020

Thank you, Mark!

MarkMoss likes this.