Forums Latest Members
  1. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jan 5, 2020

Hi guys, i am in the process of negotiating what could be said as my grail watch.

I am in need of this forum expert regarding Heuer 844-2.

Now, according to the seller, it's all parts original including the bracelet except of the end links. A little disappointing. But i am mainly only concern for the dial.

Is this 844-2 looks alright ?

Screenshot_20200105-144554.jpg
  2. SteveP

SteveP Jan 7, 2020

Hi Otto-the 844-2 is a rare beast indeed! It looks good from what I can see. Really need to check the caseback and movement though too.

There is one on Ebay currently which is comparable.
    https://www.ebay.it/itm/293140311185Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Best,
    Steve

3. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jan 7, 2020

Hi Bro ! Thanks for the pointer.

I decided to pulled the trigger.

I love it. Its like dream come true.

What is the correct ETA movement for this one ?
    All i know so far is the movement is ETA and the movement is non hacking.

20200108_111307.jpg
    RockBurner, SteveP, imagwai and 2 others like this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Jan 8, 2020

Great work! :thumbsup:

Should be ETA 2872. Glad it's made it into good hands. (As illustrated in the photo. :rolleyes:)
    Steve

OttoWilliam likes this.
  5. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jan 8, 2020

Yes it is ETA 2872 ! Automatic with quick set date and yes it is non hacking.

Thanks for the kind words. Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

It came with original bracelet but not end link sadly. I feel it a bit wobbly so i opted to use the seller own made brand new leather strap (which he gave for free).

Hope you like the picture :cool::thumbsup:

Screenshot_20200108-181451.jpg
  6. SteveP

SteveP Jan 8, 2020

Divers on leather aren't for me I'm afraid Otto! There are some good modern jubilee replacements though, or perhaps a rubber tropic strap-it suits them particularly well. Some Heuer divers were sold with them.....it's almost moot though-you have the watch, go with what you like! :thumbsup:

7. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jan 8, 2020

Gonna look for it. Jubilee always been my first choice. Gonna look at the tropic strap as well.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

8. SteveP

SteveP Jan 24, 2020

Hi, welcome. :) It's difficult to pinpoint the precise year (I'd need to look into it further) but you will be looking at 1980-1985, probably in the middle-81/82/83 perhaps.

I don't think anyone has documented the exact differences as there are so many exceptions and variations to the rule.(Even the 844-2 alone has at least 2 known distinct dial designs!) Generally though the main identifier is the T-SWISS MADE-T at the bottom of the dial. You will also normally see the second hand as a wider tail than others.

Happy to see a photo if you can post one?
    Many thanks,
    Steve

RockBurner likes this.
  9. Gambba

Gambba Jan 25, 2020

Congratulations @OttoWilliam :thumbsup:

A great way to start the year, and sorry I’m late in congratulating you!
    I live my 844-3 in the Jubilee, but a NOS Tropic Sport on one is equally lovely in my eyes. I’m a big fan of the Tropic Sport straps as they are so comfortable and flexible, but also have that period correct look. If you wanted just just try the style without buying a more expensive vintage one check the ones Lobtime produces. Same everything, just a modern replica.

My issue with Tropic Sports is that I don’t have enough of them.

10. RockBurner

RockBurner May 26, 2020

Is the wide tail on the second hand a particular indicator of an 844-2; or simply something that appeared on the 1000 series in the early to mid 80s 'in general' ?

11. SteveP

SteveP May 26, 2020

The quartz versions mostly had thin tails. The automatics (Monnin/844) varied throughout production. The 844-2 is quite characteristic in that the second hand tail tapers and is then straight, other versions often taper continually to the end.

(in case it's a leading question, remember there is no 844-2 with an orange dial. :))
    Best, Steve

RockBurner likes this.
  12. ciandro

ciandro May 26, 2020