Heuer 1000, Questions from a beginner

Hello,

I have had an interest in watches and have owned many over the years. Part from a vintage Omega Seamaster Deville this is my first vintage watch. I got this as part of a trade for another watch and my intention is to use it.
I do believe that it is in very good nick without any major signs of wear. It looks to be untouched, maybe with the exception of the bezel wich has no signs of wear at all. The gold plating is very good as well as the mineral glass. The lume on the hands is not glowing at all and on the dial it fades within a few seconds. The crown is marked with Heuer only so it should be the banjo type. Unfortunatly it seems to be broken as it easily moves in both directions with the crown flush to the case. What else... The bezel moves and clicks very well and is uni-directional.
When it comes to the movement it is ticking, and dat changes are rapid at 12. I have not timed it yet as it has been in my possesion only for a few hours. Firstly I would like give it a basic service but I need some advice from you all to make the right decision and not to make anything I will regret afterwords being a newbie.
Now for the questions includin my own thoughts...

1. Is it legit? I do believe that is, maybe with the exception of the bezel.
2. Should I change the crown to the Tag Heuer one? This is where I struggle most. I love the logo but the watch is intended to be used, and i could imagine taking it for swimming.
3. If number 2 above really is needed should I change the gaskets and battery? I think yes.
4. Should I change the hand to new ones? I think no. They look much better as they are together with the aged.
5. Should I change the chrystal to sapphire? Not sure what I think but I am leaning to not do it. Want to keep the warch as original as possible.

Thanks for any imput and excuse me for the english as I am from Sweden.
24594774-4013-4455-844D-38F5C35389A8.jpeg BE1A5203-B8DE-483C-B575-2ABE5C5C21AB.jpeg E7517314-35F7-433D-80CA-7A53E5A9E0A5.jpeg A278AD7F-14F8-463A-AFFC-CCC60814D710.jpeg 4CA7AC5B-6F7A-443F-B0FA-0C5745BD4061.jpeg B38BBF74-A909-4286-881F-42DA9AD70554.jpeg
Edited:

Good evening Sweden and great to see you and your watch here on board!
Let me quickly answer your questions;
1. Legit, I don't see anything wrong with it, on the outside that is.
To my eyes it looks that it has been polished/ restored cosmetically and some parts replated, which is good.
2.If you want to swim, yes.
3.Would be a waste to not replace them if the watch is already open, and parts value is about Eur.5, so absolutely replace them.
4.Not neccesary to replace them for new ones, you can also get them relumed and lightly polished.
5.Depends what you prefer, a mineral one does scratch easy, but if you don't wear it as a daily beater but once in a while, I wouldn't worry too much about the crystal being mineral or sapphire. My daily beater has a sapphire though ;)

Congratulations and looks great and good to see the gold plating in nice condition.

Pretty much as @automobilia42 said.

I would simply take it off when swimming and keep the Heuer crown personally, as you have everything Heuer signed (crown, caseback, dial, clasp and I assume the coil cover on the movement). And then if you’re not going to swim in it you can hold off servicing and replacing gaskets for now and just enjoy wearing it.

For the hands I’d look at re-luming them with somebody like James Hyman in the UK, who could age it appropriately to match it to the dial lume.

Mineral crystal is fine and if it’s not scratched leave it alone.

That looks very nice!

I would probably have gaskets replaced so it's splash proof, fit a sapphire glass so it doesn't scratch easily and leave it at that.

Congratulations and looks great and good to see the gold plating in nice condition.

Pretty much as @automobilia42 said.

I would simply take it off when swimming and keep the Heuer crown personally, as you have everything Heuer signed (crown, caseback, dial, clasp and I assume the coil cover on the movement). And then if you’re not going to swim in it you can hold off servicing and replacing gaskets for now and just enjoy wearing it.

For the hands I’d look at re-luming them with somebody like James Hyman in the UK, who could age it appropriately to match it to the dial lume.

Mineral crystal is fine and if it’s not scratched leave it alone.
Thanks. I am not a young guy anymore and and it is quite difficult to read the time if not in a bright room or outside. Inam happy not to be in a rush.

That looks very nice!

I would probably have gaskets replaced so it's splash proof, fit a sapphire glass so it doesn't scratch easily and leave it at that.
Thanks! And you don’t think water may come in through the crown? I believe the first step is to have a pressure test done first. The service history is not clear but as the watch is in such a good condition someone may have replaced the gaskets already.

Anyone who knows if the banjo crown and tube can be refurbished?

Thanks! And you don’t think water may come in through the crown? I believe the first step is to have a pressure test done first. The service history is not clear but as the watch is in such a good condition someone may have replaced the gaskets already.

If the seals are in good condition, the push in crown should be good enough for general daily wear, hand washing etc.

I would definitely get the seals replaced, even if it currently passes a pressure test, it could fail soon if the seals are old. If you plan to wear it for swimming or diving, then get a screw down crown retrofitted.

Message @Jkbenn02 who restores 1000s

If the seals are in good condition, the push in crown should be good enough for general daily wear, hand washing etc.

I would definitely get the seals replaced, even if it currently passes a pressure test, it could fail soon if the seals are old. If you plan to wear it for swimming or diving, then get a screw down crown retrofitted.

Message @Jkbenn02 who restores 1000s
Thanks. Make sense... All thoose decisions. I am in contact with Jkbenn already:)
Edited:

Hello again,

Been traveling around in Europe so no time until now. Today I opened it up. I was a bit confused when I discovered that there are no gasket when unscrewing it so new gaskets are definitly a must. Part from that I would like your opininon if everything else looks as it should. Everything original or has anything been replaced? Thanks in advance...
The movement gains 0.5 spd and is stable at thtavdeviation so I am very happy about that.
3DBAC09F-4B37-4575-990D-BFDB2C4723D0.jpeg 9F4261E5-21CD-418C-8054-36D403CB2E7D.jpeg E21C42E3-8030-4A23-A348-B372BE581143.jpeg 48B8CE99-2067-4DD4-948B-40A078F60AFC.jpeg
Edited:

Thanks for all input. I have made my decision and I will go all in. New crown, gaskets, sapphire crystal, relume hands and of course a new battery.After that a 10atm pressure test.

The watch is now on its way from Sweden to Kentucky. Can’t wait:)

I recieved this photo yesterday. Now on its way back to Sweden. New sapphire chrystal, new crown and gaskets and relumed hands, tested to 100 meters and some other things. Thanks Justin! I cannot wait to see it....
C876882A-566D-452D-A190-96767C2336FC.jpeg

So glad to help out! It’s a great example for sure, wear it in good health my friend.

Justin B

James Hyman restored my Heuer diver last year and it was absolutely perfect.

She is back and is looking great. Thank you Justin for a great job. Tested to 100m so a vintage beater she is:-)
9259A284-6FEC-4017-A373-6AEF2CA0FD55.jpeg B02DD0F0-ACBB-4AFB-BBE1-777655CB0CE3.jpeg BB5AE6BD-FCAE-4CAD-8A86-739899A6DFE1.jpeg 8D1A974E-8CF8-4D00-8865-E40817B1CF7C.jpeg 7337D62B-D25B-4619-AF7A-90CFA625CFDA.jpeg 17B854B2-24BE-42C6-8047-6B595FBDA689.jpeg