Forums Latest Members

Heuer 1000 Night Diver 989.106L Need Info!

1. mej824

mej824 Jul 2, 2020

So I have a Heuer night diver w/ PVC bezel but cannot find info on this particular model. It's ref# 989.106L. I found some info on the 989.106 but cannot find any on the "L" version. From what I understand the "L" denotes the later version. My watch has a Tag branded crown. I'm wondering if this model came with it or if the part was replaced at some point. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited Jul 30, 2020
  2. SteveP

SteveP Jul 2, 2020

Hi, do you have a photo of the caseback please? The 'L' would tally with the 1000 on the dial and as it is late a TH crown is a possibility.

I agree about the second hand, bracelet isn't original but you may know that!

Thanks, Steve

3. mej824

mej824 Jul 2, 2020

Thanks. So the difference with the "L" model is the "1000" under the Heuer logo and possibly the Tag crown? Is there anything else you are aware of? These seem to be pretty rare given there isn't hardly any info out there on them.

4. SteveP

SteveP Jul 2, 2020

The characteristics of an 'L' are 1000 on the dial and a thinner case.

Often it would also have a Heuer signed crown (the previous ones were unsigned) but it is not unheard of for these to have TAG crowns (or other parts) as they are so close to also becoming all-TAG.

In my opinion the watch probably is all correct bar that second hand. There aren't that many 989.106s compared to other models let alone this 'L' version. However that doesn't mean it is worth any more as collectors tend to prefer the 'chunkier' versions.

Assuming you are keeping it though, at least you know there aren't many others out there!
    Thanks, Steve

RockBurner likes this.
  5. RockBurner

RockBurner Jul 3, 2020

Is this essentially a 980.032 but with a 'grey' bezel??

(I tend to use this page as my primary reference and the 989.106 isn't there - so I'm presuming this page isn't complete? http://onthedash.com/docs/DiveWatchRefTable.html )

6. SteveP

SteveP Jul 3, 2020

It's effectively a 980.032L with a pewter PVD case and bezel.

You can see the date on that old table! There is a lot of information there for sure, but also a lot has occurred since.

It is a tough one on price given the lack of comparables (and current state of the market) but I'll give it some thought.

7. RockBurner

RockBurner Jul 3, 2020

Isn't that a 982.106? (42mm with lume dial and pewter PVD case, bezel, and bracelet)

TAG have been making more 1000s??

;)

I have to admit I've been thinking about re-building the table so that it lists all the variant details in a more granular fashion and is then filterable by those detail types (I'm a web-dev and a geek by profession).

The number of '1000's I see on ebay that have been made up from various different parts (eg from 1500 or 2000s as well as 1000 components) is quite surprising - although it is at least good when the seller describes what has been done rather than trying to pass it off as a 'rare' model.

8. SteveP

SteveP Jul 3, 2020

No. Interesting point raised here though. Unless I'm mistaken, the 982.106 is the pewter 980.032 (no 'L') and the 989.106/L is the equivalent of the 980.032L.

TAG haven't made any more since but it sounds like others have. ;) More research has been made though and other models have come to light also. Not all models were shown in the catalogues which is where a lot of that info was complied from.

9. RockBurner

RockBurner Jul 3, 2020

Such a shame there's no full factory model listing (apparantly).
    I would have thought there would be - just because it's pre-computer-records (only just) doesn't mean that people didn't make full records of what they were making.

10. Heuerlogist

Heuerlogist Jul 11, 2020

Hi there,
    989.106L is presumably the later version of the Heuer 982.113.
    As SteveP has clarified, it is more like a transitional version that may possibly have TH crown. Yet, stainless steel hands on a lume dial does not make sense at all (not functional on a lume dial). So, I would assume that the parts may have swapped around and thus crown may possibly be swapped as well.

Notable differences of the 'L' versions are ESA 963 .113 movements, Heuer engraved 'push-in' crowns and 1000 logo underneath the Heuer logo on the dial.

I own several L,B,and N reference models to infer some of these details.
    You can always reach me at instagram.com/Heuerlogist

Best,
    Heuerlogist