Forums Latest Members
  1. Masterofkarate

Masterofkarate Aug 27, 2019

Hi goodfolks
    I am looking to get into heuer and found this 1153 carrera. Do any know what model 1153 this is? I have tried to do some research and have not found any with this particular tachy ring. Is it a replacement? What is the heuer enthusiasts opinion on this type of "patina" on the dial? Would this be an ok deal at 2.5k usd? Needs a service but seller says it is untuched.
    Thanks for any insight

heuer2.jpg
    Edited Aug 27, 2019
    Albert-AMG likes this.
  2. Gambba

Gambba Aug 27, 2019

I’m no expert on these, but think this is a first execution dial based on the hour markers and the fact it’s a calibre 11. I am not sure I’ve seen 1st execution blue dials with anything but red seconds hands, so that suggests that may have been replaced.

The tachy ring, well is not a tachy ring and never seen one not fitted with a tachy scale ring.

The gold patina is very normal for blue dialed models of the era that have had exposure to moisture. Quite a lot of people like this patina.

The case looks to have been polished, but again not an expert on this.
    Not sure I’d part with the money you’re talking about for it personally.

Masterofkarate likes this.
  3. Yago

Yago Aug 27, 2019

Nice looking watch. I love the patina. This appears to be a first execution watch. The case looks good, doesn't seem polished to me. It's sharp, seems to have the original grain. Do check the serial and model number of the case, both the 1153 and the serial number. This should match the 1st exec era/calibre 11. The seconds hand colour is correct. Everything seems in order except for the tachy ring. This model should have the 50-200 tachy ring, with 'tachy' printed at 3 o clock. This is a biggy as it means the watch has indeed been tampered with. With the original tachy ring the price would have been at the very low end of what these are going for. Sourcing a correct tachy, the work involved etc probably makes it less attractive finance wise. Simply comes down to how much you love the dial.

Masterofkarate likes this.
  4. Masterofkarate

5. Yago

Yago Aug 27, 2019

Indeed, I don’t know what original tachy rings are going for but they’ll no doubt be quite more expensive than these unmarked rings.

6. SteveP

SteveP Aug 27, 2019

Erm, if you buy it I'll swap the outer ring for an 'original'!

Seriously-this is a rare decimal ring-perfectly legitimate and genuine. Yes this has been on the block before-it all looks original as far as I can see, although I would speculate the hands may not be original as 1st execution hands had a black stripe...having said that it is not uncommon to see this hand type so it is open to debate still. (the serial may help perhaps but still wouldn't be definitive.)

A lot of people would be put off by the 'paintless' dial so this is more of a hard core collector's item. It's very cool though.;)
    Steve

abrod520 and Masterofkarate like this.
  7. Yago

Yago Aug 27, 2019

@SteveP can you share the insights of previous discussions about this ring? Very interesting as it doesn’t seem to have been documented and the font is very different from the catalogue ring and rest of the dial. I don’t immediately see a difference between these hands and first exec. They both have the black stripe and similar lume.

8. SteveP

SteveP Aug 27, 2019

9. Yago

Yago Aug 27, 2019

There is variety between these examples though.

10. SteveP

SteveP Aug 27, 2019

Yes there is, which are you referring to-hands or bezel or other?

11. Yago

Yago Aug 27, 2019

There’s variation in the non ‘tachy’ bezel.

12. SteveP

SteveP Aug 27, 2019

The only difference I can see is in the 1153BN, which is a later model than the others so not so surprising. (or have I missed something?)

Also consider the earlier 2447D-1st and 2nd executions-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    look familiar?
    S

Yago and Masterofkarate like this.
  13. Masterofkarate

There seems to be a version with the numbers on the inner and one with the numbers on the outer side of the ring. Dont know the story. Maybe someone will elaborate. I find it fascinating.
    Personally I like the dial. It has some.. soul. I will probably get it if the parts turn out correct. Like the idea of it being all original.
    Will get back with serial when I know.

14. Yago

Yago Aug 27, 2019

A paintless wonder decimal Carrera 1153, I'm glad you found it @Masterofkarate
    This has been interesting so far. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
    Thanks @SteveP for the insights.

SteveP and Masterofkarate like this.
  15. abrod520

abrod520 Aug 27, 2019

Bezel is proper. These were offered from the factory with the tachy ring, but a decimal and a pulsations were available from dealers.

Dial and hands match a second-execution model, but there were "transitional" watches.

2.5k is pretty nice, unless you don't like the "paintless wonder" dial (I do)

SteveP, Yago and Masterofkarate like this.
  16. Chef40

Chef40 Aug 29, 2019

17. Masterofkarate

Masterofkarate Sep 10, 2019

So a quick update. The serial number 188937. Is there a serial database somewhere? I cant seem to find one.

18. SteveP

SteveP Sep 10, 2019

Sounds right. From memory the first batch is from 147xxx or so, so this is earlyish. This one recently sold too, and is late 187xxx-[​IMG]
    There isn't a published database, unless you buy the 'Heuer Carrera Chronographs 1963-85' book which, I believe, shows the serial number batches. i.e. 187xxx.

19. Masterofkarate

Masterofkarate Sep 10, 2019

Should not later serials have cal 12 not 11?

20. SteveP

SteveP Sep 10, 2019

Yes, hence the decimal one is 'earlyish'.
    S