Forums Latest Members

Grand Carrera 17RS advice/Intel required

1. JB1903

JB1903 Oct 17, 2015

So I'm very much a watch and a Tag Heuer novice/newbie. I have an Omega Seamaster that my wife bought me about 7 years ago and I love it, but I've coveted TH's for a while now and quite fancy adding one to start a proper watch collection of sorts. I'm buying to wear, not to keep in boxes or cases.

Anyway I'm currently in Orlando on holiday and happened upon a Tag Heuer outlet in the Vineland Premium Outlet Mall. They are doing a huge discount ( about 50%) on the Grand Carrera 17RS. I really like the watch - it is much bigger than my seamaster, but I like that it is a really different looking/feeling watch to what I already have.

Questions I have are:

1. Does anyone have experience of using this particular TAG outlet or any other similar outlets elsewhere in the U.S.?
    2. I'm content with not buying the latest model but getting an unused watch -e.g. Buying 'last season' however the size of this discount is making me wonder how old the watch is - is there any way of telling? I've looked at the catalogues page and I think it looks like a 2013/2014 model, but is there something on the watch which I could look for to confirm?
    3. Again the size of the discount is making me wonder if there is something about this model that I should be concerned about - does anyone have experiences with this watch?
    4. Is it about to be discontinued/significantly upgraded? (Or has either already happened recently?)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 17, 2015

Hi. The Grand Carrera was launched in 2007/8 and has really be the same since launch

http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-grand-carrera-review

The range has been scaled back, but it's still a good seller in some markets so they keep it in the range. I doubt there will be a revised Grand Carrera- likely that the range will be discontinued rather than being replaced.

Having said that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the watch- it's been a good sales success to be in the range this long

JB1903 likes this.
  3. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2015

I'm slightly biased being a fan of TH's LVMH stablemate Zenith but the El Primero powered (Calibre 36) Grand Carrera was the most special of that era, I love the look and sense of occasion of the 17RS too but the 36 Caliper models were just awesome in the flesh.

4. TechGuyJ

TechGuyJ Oct 22, 2015

JB,
    I have a 2014 17 RS2 and can tell you it is an absolutely fantastic piece. It wears very comfortably (mine is on the black/red croc strap). Assuming it has a proper place in your collection as a sports watch, I would not hesitate to pick one up. I get asked about mine all the time - even by non-watch people. Good luck, and enjoy!

Jason

2015-08-21 12.19.43.jpg

2015-05-30 11.11.25 HDR-2.jpg
  5. Cobain

Cobain Oct 22, 2015

Had me until i saw those short shorts

6. TechGuyJ

TechGuyJ Oct 22, 2015

Ha. The shorts aren't that short, its just the picture. Regardless, how could you see anything in the picture except that gorgeous watch?!

Jason