Forums Latest Members

Getting New PVD on my new prized possession, HEUER 980.031L PVD.

1. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Aug 19, 2018

Just bought my favorite Heuer and my dream watch, a PVD 980.031. It is from a vendor in Japan that I follow meticulously on eBay and has sent me some really cool 1000's and Formula 1's in the past. It runs perfectly with original movement. I will be replacing the mineral glass with a sapphire glass and all new gaskets etc in house. However, there is one thing that I can't do by myself, in order to be perfect, I want to apply a new PVD black coating on it so that it looks factory new. I'm not someone who is super concerned about having it exactly like factory, but I would love the black coat to be in new condition.

Does any one know a person who can do PVD? I understand that the person will have to bead blast and PVD, however, I can remove all components that I don't want PVD'd (Glass, movement, Dial, hands, gaskets etc) and send off the watch that way. I don't need it serviced or anything like that, and I am not in a rush. How much should I expect to pay? Thanks for any help or ideas, let me know what you think!

- Tyler

s-l1600-8.jpg
  2. SteveHarris

SteveHarris Aug 20, 2018

I think the vintage department at TAG would do it for you now. If you read Calibre11's latest trip report on the TAG Heuer board here, it's mentioned.

Good find though. I'm still after one of these with the original bracelet. Dial looks great!

Steve

TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  3. SteveHarris

SteveHarris Aug 20, 2018

4. Gambba

Gambba Aug 21, 2018

Congratulations Mr Bond! :cool:

I’ve seen pricing range from $600-1000, for the case. Bracelet will be mega expensive as requires strip down to individual parts.

Sometimes mint cases come up on eBay and the like, so maybe a better option.....or wear it with its patina.

Edited Aug 21, 2018
    TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  5. Gambba

Gambba Aug 21, 2018

6. Gambba

Gambba Aug 21, 2018

TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  7. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Aug 22, 2018

I messaged them but haven't gotten a reply yet. I hope they do fairly priced work, would be a fantastic option.

8. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Aug 22, 2018

I will be wearing it with the current state for a while until I find someone and I have no complaints. I'd be willing to pay about that much honestly. Obviously cheaper the better but if you get too cheap, the providers may cut corners I don't want that for a hyper rare Heuer like this one. I got a good deal on it ($400ish) So I have quite a bit of wiggle room before I start paying more than its worth. And if I did my research correctly, it appears to be recently appreciating in value so my bank accounts won't cry themselves to sleep.

Do you know any specific contacts for PVD?? I've been looking everywhere and its all for Rolex's and they charge $3000 dollars accordingly which is simply ludicrous for a process like this.

Thanks for the reply!

9. craigbythesea

craigbythesea Aug 23, 2018

TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  10. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Sep 7, 2018

So I don't know If many people are following this but I have updates! Will be posting them soon. This project has turned to a bit of a "Restomod" but the finish is looking absolutely mint and now it has a screw down crown. Once I've wrapped up I will be making an update post!!

dtf and Calibre11 like this.
  11. TyJoSimo43

TyJoSimo43 Sep 7, 2018

So figured I let you know, I have contacted the department several times and have gotten no response. I have found another avenue to fix the watch however and will be letting everyone know in a update post!

Jkbenn02, SteveHarris and Calibre11 like this.
  12. huberthangover

huberthangover Jan 27, 2019

Schifferle and Schifferle / Orfina Switzerland are recoating their Porsche Design Chronos. Maybe you could ask them for a quote!?

TyJoSimo43 likes this.
  13. Philmo

Philmo Dec 16, 2019

Gradely, well-loved patina ;)

14. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Dec 21, 2019

Did you ever get it refinished?